Northman7699

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5 Liter Turbo
Country flag
I was driving home the other night and suddenly all of the error lights popped on. Tire pressure, hill assist, lane assist, engine, power steering etc... car was still running fine so I assumed a fuse or something was bad. 15 minutes later the car starts having a lot of problems accelerating and eventually barely will go over 25 mph. Have it towed to the dealership and they say that the turbo is seized up and needs to be replace. $2266 for the replacement. I'm just trying to see if this is something that might be covered under a recall or if there was some sort of computer/other technical issue that might have caused the problems so I might avoid such a high cost replacement.
Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'd question that diagnosis, I don't see why a problem with the turbo would cause tire pressure, hill assist, lane assist, engine, and power steering lights to come on. It sounds more like an electrical or battery problem to me.

If it does turn out to be a turbo problem, do you have any powertrain warranty left?

OP
OP

Northman7699

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd question that diagnosis, I don't see why a problem with the turbo would cause tire pressure, hill assist, lane assist, engine, and power steering lights to come on. It sounds more like an electrical or battery problem to me.

If it does turn out to be a turbo problem, do you have any powertrain warranty left?
My first guess would be that the electrical/computer issues caused a problem with the turbo through not being controlled correctly but I'm not that car savvy. They did do a software update so maybe that fixed the issue that caused the turbo to seize up but I also can't be sure now. Pretty sure I don't have the warranty anymore as there is 150k on the car and it was purchased in 2016.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could prob find a reman or used turbo and do it yourself for a 1/4 that price, if that's actually the problem. Don't know why you would continue to drive the car if all the warning lights popped on.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
When I installed my PRL intercooler one of my tubes popped loose because I forgot to go back and tighten it resulting in me having a big boost leak. That cause the same effect of lighting my dash like a Christmas tree. When it does that it basically puts the car in a limp mode that’s why you have trouble accelerating. Does it to protect the car from extensive damage, by the driver continuing to use the vehicle. That’s pretty expensive of a job. I’d get the turbo from the Honda parts or OEM Honda parts website and have a third party install or you install it yourself if your handy. It’s honestly not that hard to replace a turbo. The hardest part being cracking the bolts loose and potentially breaking turbo studs. So recommend buying extras as well. Just watch a 27won turbo Install video it’s basically the same thing instead your just putting a stock turbo back in

OP
OP

Northman7699

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You could prob find a reman or used turbo and do it yourself for a 1/4 that price, if that's actually the problem. Don't know why you would continue to drive the car if all the warning lights popped on.
I've been trying to find a re-manufactured turbo for a while now but can't seem to find a website that carries them. Do you have any suggestions for ones to try?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag