Chrome Door Handles in the Southern Sun - Too Hot?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Howdy,

I'm currently in the market for a new car to replace my old Toyota. I've pretty much settled on the 2016 Civic for reasons that everyone here understands, but I'm torn between the Touring and EX-L w/ Sensing.

One of my concerns with the Touring is whether the chrome handles are an asset or a liability. I live near the southern tip of Florida, and this car is going to spend a lot of time baking in the sun.

For those of you with 2016 Tourings who live this far South, how hot do your chrome door handles get: warm, hot, or too hot to touch?

Thanks.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Howdy,

I'm currently in the market for a new car to replace my old Toyota. I've pretty much settled on the 2016 Civic for reasons that everyone here understands, but I'm torn between the Touring and EX-L w/ Sensing.

One of my concerns with the Touring is whether the chrome handles are an asset or a liability. I live near the southern tip of Florida, and this car is going to spend a lot of time baking in the sun.

For those of you with 2016 Tourings who live this far South, how hot do your chrome door handles get: warm, hot, or too hot to touch?

Thanks.
Just for perspective I live in Colorado and its been super hot for us lately, and I don't seem to notice. It's plated plastic not actual metal so you should be fine.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
To tell you the truth even the regular door handles get hot in 100+ heat. Trust I tried to open mine the other day and squealed so my advice is get the ones you want

deputy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
To tell you the truth even the regular door handles get hot in 100+ heat. Trust I tried to open mine the other day and squealed so my advice is get the ones you want
I'm in Tampa, and I have the Touring Sedan. No issues with the chrome door handles being too hot.

ARHondaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's 98 in central Arkansas today with a heat index of 112. No issues with my chrome handles on my touring Civic nor was it even a thought or problem with my ex-l Accord I traded. I did, however, get a new head unit for my radio today. ;)

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's 98 in central Arkansas today with a heat index of 112. No issues with my chrome handles on my touring Civic nor was it even a thought or problem with my ex-l Accord I traded. I did, however, get a new head unit for my radio today. ;)
OEM or aftermarket?

ARHondaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM. I was one of the lucky ones with the dreaded beeping issue. Apparently I was the first owner to bring the car in for it since everyone looked at me like I was a dumb blonde. ;)
They tried to tell me that I just needed the software update for the radio - which they probably would have done again - had I not walked in there informed and with video evidence.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
I appreciate all the replies. I came close to burning my hand on a Tesla S a few weeks ago, so was a little gun shy. Apparently, there's nothing to worry about.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Still be careful @SouthernYankee with extreme temperatures all handles do get hot especially in the sun regardless of chrome or not. I tried to open mine one day and it was hot as heck. It was over 100 degrees that day I believe

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chrome reflects the sun, color absorbs. While even Chrome handles will get hot in extreme sunny/hot climates, the darker the color, the hotter it will be. So, to answer the question, Chrome and lighter color handles will be cooler than non-chrome and medium to dark color handles.

I'd hate to be the owner of a Crystal Black Pearl Civic (or any black car) without chrome handles in Arizona. OUCH!