Carbon Fiber hood heatshield

R-00152

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM hood. Since the engine bay gets so hot the hood gets super hot too. I felt it after I finished driving. I'm worried that this may change the color of the carbon fiber hood. Has anyone used any kind of heatshield for the bottom side of the hood?
Sponsored

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
I put heat reflective tape on the underside of the Varis hood I have on my Evo X. Honestly, you're going to run into yellowing or fading eventually, regardless of what you do. But, I do believe the tape helped a bit on mine.

Onimusha

Oni R
First Name
Nevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R, 2018 Honda Clarity, 1988 Prelude Si
Country flag
I have a Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM hood. Since the engine bay gets so hot the hood gets super hot too. I felt it after I finished driving. I'm worried that this may change the color of the carbon fiber hood. Has anyone used any kind of heatshield for the bottom side of the hood?
I only had mine for a month and the vent pieces yellowed really quick. What I did was just spray painted that part with a high temp paint. I also put the thermo-tec heat shield under my hood.

Honda Civic 10th gen Carbon Fiber hood heatshield 6ejP01v

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
not true, ceramic coat it and use home heat insulation from home depot.. ive seen guys track their cars with cf hood with heat insulation with zero issues and they have it it for a few years in this socal heat
My hood went four years before clouding and yellowing began. There are ways to delay the yellowing, such as ceramic coating and heat insulation, but it will happen eventually. For cheaper CF, such as Seibon, Rexpeed, and JDP Engineering I would have them clear coat stripped and redone, since their QC isn't always the greatest. For Varis, APR, and Voltex I went with what I got from the factory, but it all eventually yellowed. Some of it has to do with the season in which your CF part is produced. During the rainy seasons in Asia, when the humidity is high, you're going to get variations in the clear coat that allow for clouding and yellowing faster, especially if it's a cheaper company. The same thing happens with CF production in the US. Due to this, I just make a judgement call based on my experiences with whatever manufacturer I've bought from and either re-clear or let it ride.

On my Evo, my CF hood lasted for four years before imperfections, like I said. My CF lip is the same age and hasn't yellowed at all, but it's not exposed to heat in the same way as the hood. In some cases, it's just a toss up and you gotta get lucky on quality stuff.
Sponsored