Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anybody have this hood? If so how is fitment and quality?
I have had Seibon body panels before for my EG, but had fading issues. This was 15 years ago not sure if there quality has changed.
Thanks guys much appreciated.

Honda Civic 10th gen Seibon TS-Style Carbon Fiber Hood F218293258
Sponsored

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
In general, all gel-coated carbon like Seibon will fade in time. Shop I trust quoted ~$250 to take down and actual-clear the hood on my S14. Will do it next time I run Seibon. Nothing against them, nature of the product and process.

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I hate to spend $1500 on something that will fade, I wonder if there is anything you can apply to it beforehand to prevent that.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
almost every carbon fiber hood you buy will eventually fade.
have a shop sand down the gel coat and put a good layer of clear coat and it will be fine.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i work at a body shop, did it to a customer's evo X's seibon CF trunk lid. Clear coat was peeling, sanded down and resprayed clear, came out better than before.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have that exact one but had TR style for my sport hatch for 1.5 year.. i drove the car in canada winter as well.. the coating looks good enough for me as a first time carbon fiber owner. I had never seen other carbon hood before so i was happy. There no fading after 1.5 year.. however, i did put ceramic coating on it before last winter...
The quality is not the best.. they dont use a whole sheet of carbon for one hood... so there is a stitch line on the weave where two piece of carbon meet. Subtle line but enough to notice when you look at it closely.

Fitment is good, but water will get in from the scoop or vent.. unlike type r oem hood... seibon hood has nothing under hood to channel the water to strut tower, there is alo no rain guard that you can install.
I dont live in somewhere that has lots of rain so there isnt much problem.. but i do sse water strains on valve cover.
Snow never get in though.

Overall, it is a great piece for aesthetic and very light weight... i dont have it long enough to comment on fading... but again.. after 1.5 year the hood still shiny.

Hope this help

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
almost every carbon fiber hood you buy will eventually fade.
have a shop sand down the gel coat and put a good layer of clear coat and it will be fine.
Yeah I could do that I suppose.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now for my type r.. i am spending bigger money and getting varis hood.. hope it has better coating... but my car is full wrap so i will wrap the hood anyway.

My friend has J's racing carbon hood, i will be able to compare among different brand

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I dont have that exact one but had TR style for my sport hatch for 1.5 year.. i drove the car in canada winter as well.. the coatinf looks good enough for me and no fading after 1 year.. however, i did put ceramic coating on it before last winter...
The quality is not the best.. they dont use a whole sheet of carbon for one hood... so there is a stitch line on the weave where two piece of carbon meet. Subtle line but enough to notice when you look at it closely.

Fitment is good, but water will get in from the scoop or vent.. unlike type r oem hood... seibon hood has nothing under hood to channel the water to strut tower, there is alo no rain guard that you can install.
I dont live at somewhere that has lots of snow so there isnt much problem.. but i do sse water strains on valve cover.
Snow never get in though.

Overall, it is a great piece for aesthetic and very light weight... i dont have it long enough to comment on fading... but again.. after 1.5 year the hood still shiny.

Hope this help
Thank you!

Yeah I would be putting ceramic coat for sure, going to be doing my complete car before winter storage. Heck if it made it through our Canadian winters were golden lol.. I don't plan on driving mine all year round and it is always garage kept so that should help. Never thought about the rain.. umm might not be a good idea then if you can't install the water channels on the underside of the hood.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
When I got my carbon fiber hood for my 6th gen from a friend which was already used and the top coat was faded, I brought it to another friend’s body and paint shop. They sanded it down and had 2 layers of top coat applied. DuPont and PPG clear coats to make it more durable.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Thank you!

Yeah I would be putting ceramic coat for sure, going to be doing my complete car before winter storage. Heck if it made it through our Canadian winters were golden lol.. I don't plan on driving mine all year round and it is always garage kept so that should help. Never thought about the rain.. umm might not be a good idea then if you can't install the water channels on the underside of the hood.
you should do that as most carbon hood (even varis ones) comes gel coated and will eventually fade over time. Or you can just have it sand and cleared after it starts fading.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you!

are you Holly from NB? this is the yellow type R from Toronto..
with your skill, you might be able to install the channel under hood.. i just dont have the skill..

message me on facebook messenger again, I have some hood coming in and you might be interested in it..

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
you should do that as most carbon hood (even varis ones) comes gel coated and will eventually fade over time. Or you can just have it sand and cleared after it starts fading.
Agreed, either way its worth investing the few hundred bucks to preserve the hood for that much longer... or keep it going after it fades like you stated.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yes, if I am not wrapping my carbon hood, I will just bring it straight to body paint shop for their best clear coating possible.. and wait 2 months and PPF the hood ..

OP
OP
OrchidFc3

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
are you Holly from NB? this is the yellow type R from Toronto..
with your skill, you might be able to install the channel under hood.. i just dont have the skill..

message me on facebook messenger again, I have some hood coming in and you might be interested in it..
Yes that is me. Yeah true might be able to. Oh awesome send me a message on FB I probably won't be able to find you again lol. Thanks :)
Sponsored