Bluetooth not automatically connected on start-up

looopson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Is anyone else having this problem with their Civic?

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3 which I understand is a pretty old phone. I was told by someone at the dealership that I probably need to get a new phone and/or upgrade my Android platform.

It's strange because in my previous 2008 Toyota, my phone ALWAYS automatically connected to Bluetooth on start-up. I never had any issues.

What I'm finding is that even after I manually connect to my Bluetooth phone each time I start the vehicle, sometimes the Bluetooth will drop signal and disconnect my phone from my car. I then need to go back through and re-connect to Bluetooth through the device list.

Is anyone else having this problem? I haven't never done a "hard reset". Would this make a difference?
Sponsored

bander68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Rallye Red
I run a Galaxy S5, and up until this past weekend it was connecting automatically. For some reason, it quit on Saturday. Same problem in one short trip Sunday. This morning (Monday) before leaving for work, I rebooted by holding the power button in the top left corner of the screen until the reboot screen came up. Once it rebooted, it connected automatically again.

As for the S3 - I think your problem is it never upgraded past Jellybean, and I believe this car requires at least Lollipop.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
As for the S3 - I think your problem is it never upgraded past Jellybean, and I believe this car requires at least Lollipop.
That's only a requirement for Android Auto. Regular old Bluetooth "should" work from any source.

You are correct about recommending the reboot. That seems to temporarily fix the BT connectivity issue.

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's only a requirement for Android Auto. Regular old Bluetooth "should" work from any source.

You are correct about recommending the reboot. That seems to temporarily fix the BT connectivity issue.
I found deleting the phone on the car and then forget this device on the phone and then repair also works for the iPhone.

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have an LX and an iPhone 5S. I don't usually listen to music from my phone but I usually turn the blue tooth on for my phone whenever I'm gonna be driving for a while so I can talk through the stereo. The message pops up on the radio every time that my phone has connected. But on 2 or 3 occasions I went to play music from my phone and I noticed as I went through the different sources on the radio (FM/AM/iPod) it skipped past blue tooth. At first I thought it lost the connection but the radio display showed a full signal. I turned the blue tooth off and on from my phone and the phone disconnected and then reconnected but I still couldn't select the blue tooth source on the radio.

So went into the radio settings and just told it to connect the device and that finally made it work.

Gt1948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I have an LX and an iPhone 5S. I don't usually listen to music from my phone but I usually turn the blue tooth on for my phone whenever I'm gonna be driving for a while so I can talk through the stereo. The message pops up on the radio every time that my phone has connected. But on 2 or 3 occasions I went to play music from my phone and I noticed as I went through the different sources on the radio (FM/AM/iPod) it skipped past blue tooth. At first I thought it lost the connection but the radio display showed a full signal. I turned the blue tooth off and on from my phone and the phone disconnected and then reconnected but I still couldn't select the blue tooth source on the radio.

So went into the radio settings and just told it to connect the device and that finally made it work.
Was happening to me. Go into settings on head unit and do a reset. Fixed it for me

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
On the line of reset, can anyone confirm that this actually resets each night at 2AM, as is the default. I swear, I have to reset on the way to work a lot in the AM, and it SHOULD have just done it a few hours before, but... it sure seems like it's been a while since it was really reset. I could swear someone mentioned you could look that up on the device (time of actual last reset, not time of scheduled reset), but I played with the menus a bit and didn't see that information.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
On the line of reset, can anyone confirm that this actually resets each night at 2AM, as is the default. I swear, I have to reset on the way to work a lot in the AM, and it SHOULD have just done it a few hours before, but... it sure seems like it's been a while since it was really reset. I could swear someone mentioned you could look that up on the device (time of actual last reset, not time of scheduled reset), but I played with the menus a bit and didn't see that information.
I'll have to check my car, but normal Android has Settings->About tablet->Status->Up time

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks much. For some reason I keep forgetting to check standard Android stuff. Probably because it's such a bad Android tablet I try to associate it with something other than Android just for my own sanity and respect of Android. Kind of like I pretend the $50 tablets that you can find at Big Lots are not really Android tablets. The information is there as you said. I will check mine in the morning for the next few days to see if it is consistently restarting. Thank you again.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, this morning I checked, and the tablet had been up for about 24 hours, meaning it does (or at least last night did) not do the 2 AM scheduled refresh - which in my car, is turned on. This would explain why I can only go a few days before the thing starts going haywire. Honda knew enough that they had such a crappy tablet that it'd need restarted every night (unlike a quality android device, which can go weeks or more), but the app they used doesn't even work.

I forget when in android they made apps require root access to force a restart independently, but I wonder if that's the case. You can easily install all sorts of apps that can reboot the phone on their own, but if you don't have root access to give the app, it's not going to work. Were this tablet's developers so stupid that they just copied some app not knowing how it worked?

Bigred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic exl
OK try this. By happenstance I fix my AA connection issue.
First Uninstall AA from your phone. Clear your blue tooth connect on your phone. Remove the phone from the bluetooth device list in the car info system. Turn off the car and restart.
Reconnect your phone via bluetooth.

Then plug your USB cable into the car jack
. Lastly, plug the USB into the phone.
And what do you know. . It is already installed on the phone. Follow the set up procedure on the phone and it works perfectly.
Neither Google or honda are aware this program is built into to the marshmallow already and when we install from the play store the android auto app. Is creates a conflict in the OS.
I tried it twice and it is that easy.. plug and play!!!
And ifor you leave your phone hooked up turn offor the car and then restart it will automatically reopen AA. Cheers
Sponsored