Bad rear bearing? 2017 Civic EX

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Hi Folks,

Just working on my car doing my rear brakes. Did the passanger followed by the drivers side. Notice the drivers side is making noise and has a very slight wobble where it rubs against the new brake pad.

Bearing video.

Here is the wobble of the rotor. Could the rotor be intalled incorrectly or unevenly causing the rub? You can see the wobble if you look at the splash guard and rotor turning.

1. Are rear bearing a DIY job? Because I've seen people struggling to get bearing out, I dont have the tools or patience for that though.

2. Do bearing have to be swapped in pairs? The rear passanger side, not making noise.

Cheers,
Rev
Sponsored

Last edited:

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my rear driver's side bearing changed out this past year. Hondas and Toyotas are notorious for bearings. Unfortunately it isn't a job to do at home, unless u have a press yo take them out if they're stuck.

OP
OP

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I had my rear driver's side bearing changed out this past year. Hondas and Toyotas are notorious for bearings. Unfortunately it isn't a job to do at home, unless u have a press yo take them out if they're stuck.
From the video do you think the stight wobble and noise meanas the bearing is bad?

Should the other side also be replaced?

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Your bearing needs to be replaced, eventually before it seizes. You don't need to do both, like brakes.
The wobble could be the rotor is warped, unless u have some stuff in between the rotor and hub?

OP
OP

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
Your bearing needs to be replaced, eventually before it seizes. You don't need to do both, like brakes.
The wobble could be the rotor is warped, unless u have some stuff in between the rotor and hub?
Believe I've cleaned all the rust out, but I'll take it apart again and check.

Is there any wobble tolerance to the bearing assembly? The wobble is visible to the human eye, I'd assume that's a bit much? But the sound is strange.

I'm going to lift the back end of the car, and compare the two sides doing a wheel rotation test, etc. To see if indeed it is a bearing.

OP
OP

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
How many KMs did you have on the Honda before needing to swap the bearing?

carlos969

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had about 190,000 kms on my Civic. All highway driving, but I live in a 4 season environment, so there's surface rust on the components
Sponsored