ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
I just picked up a 2016 Civic EX-Sensing. I'm surprised that with all the bells and whistles this car has, that it doesn't have this feature. All my other cars had this and I really like it. Has anyone here added this to their car after they purchased it? I would like to do it and would like to know what I'm in for. Appreciate any and all info!!
Sponsored

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I just picked up a 2016 Civic EX-Sensing. I'm surprised that with all the bells and whistles this car has, that it doesn't have this feature. All my other cars had this and I really like it. Has anyone here added this to their car after they purchased it? I would like to do it and would like to know what I'm in for. Appreciate any and all info!!
I felt the same way. People have posted that it's not an inexpensive fix (couple hundred dollars). I don't even notice it anymore.

BigDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe, '01 Silverado
Country flag
I had mine installed at the dealer and it's never worked. I've seen somewhere in the DIY part of the forum where someone detailed out how to wire one up and it looks pretty easy.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
It is a pretty simple install. The link below goes to Honda's install directions for their accessory mirror:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2017/4dr/daynightmirror.pdf

You are looking at somewhere around $150 plus shipping from an online honda parts dealer. It requires the mirror and the ''base" kit. The kit has the oem harness, zip ties and wire bezel. Make sure you order part numbers for a car with sensing, as the mirror mounting point is different.

FWIW you are not stuck with only the Honda option. Virtually any auto-dim mirror can be installed. It will just require custom wiring/possible mounting adapter.
I personally used the oem base kit, with a mirror from a subaru that has a red compass readout. I did have to figure out the differences in harnesses and splice the wires together...most only need power, ground and some use a third wire for reverse gear turn off. (Un-dims the mirror when in reverse).

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
It is a pretty simple install. The link below goes to Honda's install directions for their accessory mirror:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/civic/2017/4dr/daynightmirror.pdf

You are looking at somewhere around $150 plus shipping from an online honda parts dealer. It requires the mirror and the ''base" kit. The kit has the oem harness, zip ties and wire bezel. Make sure you order part numbers for a car with sensing, as the mirror mounting point is different.

FWIW you are not stuck with only the Honda option. Virtually any auto-dim mirror can be installed. It will just require custom wiring/possible mounting adapter.
I personally used the oem base kit, with a mirror from a subaru that has a red compass readout. I did have to figure out the differences in harnesses and splice the wires together...most only need power, ground and some use a third wire for reverse gear turn off. (Un-dims the mirror when in reverse).
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the feedback!

starwolf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord EX
Country flag
I have the Honda auto-dimming mirror on my 2018 Civic EX sedan. The dealership special ordered and installed it about a week after I bought the car. It works well. Labor does add a significant amount to the cost, but I didn't want to mess with the wiring myself.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
IMO, I would go on Ebay and get a complete Gentex 453 (same OEM as Honda mirror) for a Hyundai Elantra. It's not only auto-dimming but has HomeLink and a compass and you can get them new for about $80.00 with the wiring harness. The wiring is also simpler than the Honda mirror.

The installation is the same as a dash-cam. I didn't have to modify anything on the mirror or car to install it.

I can't speak for how well the auto-dimming actually works because I bought it only for the HomeLink.

Honda Civic 10th gen Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror IMG_0227

Last edited:

Woodydog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback sport touring
I have the auto dimming mirror and hate it doesn't work good. I drive a lot at night and always get blinded by lights in mirror. I'm going to take mine off and go back to a flip up mirror .

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I have the auto dimming mirror and hate it doesn't work good. I drive a lot at night and always get blinded by lights in mirror. I'm going to take mine off and go back to a flip up mirror .
I read your post and looked to see which model of car you've got. Yup, I knew it -- you've got a hatchback, just like I do.

For us, the problem is not that the mirror doesn't work. It's that the hatch mid-spoiler and wiper cast a shadow and block light from reaching the sensors at the bottom of the mirror. Sometimes, the other car's headlights get a chance to reach the sensors, and the mirror dims. But as the other car gets closer, the angle changes, and then the spoiler's shadow comes up to the sensors.

If we could flip it upside-down, it would be fine, but the design of the mirror housing doesn't allow it to reach a usable angle.

I'm planning to either get a flip-up mirror, too (or just a clip-on tinted mirror).

Sisedan4762

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si , 2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Found out the autodim rearview wasn’t standard the first night after purchase. Previous vehicle had autodim rearview and sideview which was nice. Didn’t even occur to me to check as it’s something you’d think most cars would come with nowadays. Was spoiled by my previous vehicle, so I guess now I’m a typical gluttonous American who is annoyed at the inconvenience of having to flip the mirror back and forth everyday :rolleyes1:

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
If we could flip it upside-down, it would be fine, but the design of the mirror housing doesn't allow it to reach a usable angle.
The mirror can be rotated 180 degrees if you remove it from the windshield. I don't know what happens after that...

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The mirror can be rotated 180 degrees if you remove it from the windshield. I don't know what happens after that...
I was able to turn my old EP3's mirror upside-down, but it wasn't loaded with electronics, either. This new auto-dimming one has extra bulk where the arm meets the mirror body, and turning it upside-down makes it point at the center console.

dieter21

WhiteWidow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
IMO, I would go on Ebay and get a complete Gentex 453 (same OEM as Honda mirror) for a Hyundai Elantra. It's not only auto-dimming but has HomeLink and a compass and you can get them new for about $80.00 with the wiring harness. The wiring is also simpler than the Honda mirror.

The installation is the same as a dash-cam. I didn't have to modify anything on the mirror or car to install it.

I can't speak for how well the auto-dimming actually works because I bought it only for the HomeLink.

IMG_0227.jpg
I want to get this, but every one on ebay has an orange compass? i feel like then its not the same one. Since i see yours worked, Id like to find the exact same one. Any thoughts?

Edit: I think As long as the 453 in general will fit, ill save the $30 and not worry about the compass as this day in age it's pointless with phone maps, and our cars having CarPlay. I dont need to read a map for which way I'm going anymore haha Going to order one without compass here shortly

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_0227.jpg

That's is sweet, can you tell me what you wired it to?

Dragon Systems

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring, 2007 Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was actually curious about this and did some research the other day and it appears to be offered starting with EX-L trim, I guess it makes sense cause I think it is technically a luxury feature
Sponsored