Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
My civic came with the Auto Dimming Rearview it's a god send. Especially when compared to my old car that didn't have it. I find it works really well, no complaints.
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I think it works well as long as the sensors have a clear view of the rear window.

The first car I drove with an auto-dimming mirror was a VW Passat CC, which was their more-than-a-regular-Passat-but-not-a-Phaeton upper-end sedan. Its mirror was more responsive than the one on my hatchback because it didn't had a mid-spoiler blocking the rear window.

My wife's '17 CR-V EX doesn't have an auto-dimming mirror. When I drive it at night, I flip it to the dim view and just leave it there. What I can see in front of me is more important than whatever is behind me, so I try to keep all the extra visual distractions to a minimum. That means avoiding sudden glare from the rearview mirror.

dieter21

WhiteWidow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
IMO, I would go on Ebay and get a complete Gentex 453 (same OEM as Honda mirror) for a Hyundai Elantra. It's not only auto-dimming but has HomeLink and a compass and you can get them new for about $80.00 with the wiring harness. The wiring is also simpler than the Honda mirror.

The installation is the same as a dash-cam. I didn't have to modify anything on the mirror or car to install it.

I can't speak for how well the auto-dimming actually works because I bought it only for the HomeLink.

IMG_0227.jpg
What did you wire it to? Mine is coming any day and would like a general idea before i start ripping stuff apart on a brand new car haha

OP
OP

ibgm101

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sense 2.0
Country flag
What did you wire it to? Mine is coming any day and would like a general idea before i start ripping stuff apart on a brand new car haha
Just curious, I bought a used Civic 2016 EX. It has a mount for something aftermarket on the windshield, it is similar in size to what's on your windshield. What exactly is that?
Sponsored