Apple CarPlay muting music

powers29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Hey guys, had an issue popup with the CarPlay. I plug in my phone, and ever since I got the car a month ago, my girlfriend would scroll through the phone to look for music instead of doing it on the screen. When she would do this, the volume of the music already playing would stay the same. Then starting yesterday, whenever the phone is "active," with the screen on and her scrolling, the music volume drops considerably until the phone is locked again. Any idea what is causing this all of the sudden?
Sponsored

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Make sure the camera app is closed...it can mute your sound. Known Apple issue.

Last edited:

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
This could be similar to something I've described in other threads. Sometimes when the phone is unlocked, the volume will go down. If you press the volume buttons on the steering wheel, it will claim you're controlling the navigation volume (whether you're using navigation or not). Relock the phone and it goes back to normal.

Something that seems to prevent this for me: When I first plug in the phone and see the black CarPlay screen, I press the home key on the phone right away. Whenever I do this, the volume stays the same and I can leave the phone open. But if I just let the screen turn off on its own then unlock it, it does the volume thing. I'll have to test it with the music app and see what happens -- I know I've had the problem you describe, but not sure if it's been consistent.

OP
OP

powers29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
This could be similar to something I've described in other threads. Sometimes when the phone is unlocked, the volume will go down. If you press the volume buttons on the steering wheel, it will claim you're controlling the navigation volume (whether you're using navigation or not). Relock the phone and it goes back to normal.

Something that seems to prevent this for me: When I first plug in the phone and see the black CarPlay screen, I press the home key on the phone right away. Whenever I do this, the volume stays the same and I can leave the phone open. But if I just let the screen turn off on its own then unlock it, it does the volume thing. I'll have to test it with the music app and see what happens -- I know I've had the problem you describe, but not sure if it's been consistent.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to. Shouldn't have said "mute," but it drops down to 11 or so. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. And not even 30 minutes ago, the problem went away. Can't think of anything I did differently. I'll try the home button right away like you suggested. Love the car so far, but this nuisance and the fact that my iPod classic skips or doesn't continue a song upon startup using the Honda audio app are very frustrating.

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Yep, if it does the thing I'm talking about, the maximum "navigation volume" is 11. It's so weird.

I did try using the Music app with my phone today (as opposed to the car's screen), and the volume stayed normal unless I started typing in the search box.

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
I had another CarPlay Snafu today. Go figure.

My iPhone was connected to the front USB port and I was running a couple of apps (Dash and Waze) that use sound. As soon as the car was rolling, my FM was muted and would go no louder than 11. I also tried playing some MP3 files on a thumb drive, switching to AM and even cutting the audio on and off. No change.

When I unplugged my phone from the lighting cord, volume was returned.

On other occasions, when my iPhone is only connected via Bluetooth, on shifting into Reverse, my backup camera camera goes black for 2 - 6 seconds.

Once again, I find myself completely frustrated at CarPlay and what a joke it is. Truly a half baked product. Great car; crap software.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I really think the problem is Apple's - it has to be, the car has nothing to do with the audio mixing coming out of the phone. These problems started with iOS 9.3.3 and the 10 betas for me. Nothing changed on the head unit.

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
I really think the problem is Apple's - it has to be, the car has nothing to do with the audio mixing coming out of the phone. These problems started with iOS 9.3.3 and the 10 betas for me. Nothing changed on the head unit.
Could be, but I didn't stroke a $21K check to Apple: it was written to my Honda dealership. Therefore I look to Honda to have the impetus to get the Honda, Apple and Android software folks in a room and get it FIXED.

mikehc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Turbo Plus
The same thing happens with mine. When I unlock the phone the music dims and when the phone gets locked it returns to normal levels of sounds. I'm using iOS 10 beta. This has NOTHING to do with the sound system of the car. This has to do 100% with iOS as this didn't happen a few versions before and the software that runs the head unit hasn't changed at all. Hopefully they still have time to fix it.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
So I figured a bit more of this out - it only seems to happen when my phone's mute switch is off. If I have it in the mute/vibrate-only position, the volume works totally normally after unlocking.

I've sent the bug in with the feedback app for every beta version so far - really hope the release version doesn't have this issue.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
So this bug, though it's more of a misfiring feature, is based around whatever is "in focus" on your phone.

Basically any app that has the potential to play video will limit the audio so you don't get it blasted to you unintentionally.

The problem is that this often includes apps that "can" play video but may not be at that moment, Facebook being a prime example.

If you back out of whatever app you're in to the home screen it should set the audio back to normal.

Hopefully they refine the logic a bit more as they move out of beta.

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I've noticed that too, with Facebook or typing in a text box. That doesn't bother me so much, because I don't need those things while driving. What bugs me is the times it happens on the home screen as well, i.e. any time the phone is unlocked. It means I can't use Waze and also have full volume. I've had iOS 9 ever since I got the car, so for me it's not related to the iOS 10 beta. I will say though, it happens far less frequently now than it used to, and I don't know if that's related to iOS incremental updates or disabling my right turn camera.

mvizzion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic EX, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Having the same issue (and really bothered by it), hoping they fix it soon. I reached out to Honda via Twitter and they told me to call their in-car support team. Haven't gotten around to that...

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Having the same issue (and really bothered by it), hoping they fix it soon. I reached out to Honda via Twitter and they told me to call their in-car support team. Haven't gotten around to that...
Good luck, there all like crash dummies...they don't even know what a USB port is..some of them...I gagged talking to one of them one day.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and it mutes and does not come back (until you clear the alert) all the time when you get certain alerts. VERY FRUSTRATING. My sister's Hyundai, which we were in al weekend runs like butter...
Sponsored