Anyone ever have a tire blow?

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I saw a van on the highway going 55mph. Their tire looked like it exploded. The van quickly got dragged into the lane heading the other way. Thankfully the lane was empty at the moment. Got me thinking what I would do in that scenario. If I recall correctly, that's how Paul Walker died. They had 9 year old tires on a 9 year old Porsche with 3,500 miles on the odometer. At what point is a tire unsafe?
Sponsored

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I saw a van on the highway going 55mph. Their tire looked like it exploded. The van quickly got dragged into the lane heading the other way. Thankfully the lane was empty at the moment. Got me thinking what I would do in that scenario. If I recall correctly, that's how Paul Walker died. They had 9 year old tires on a 9 year old Porsche with 3,500 miles on the odometer. At what point is a tire unsafe?
Not me but my sister, her back tires blew and she did a spun out onto the highway. Luckily she was fine no injuries, just shaken up. The reason why her tires blew was because it was under inflated and she kept putting it off to inflate it.

I believe the age of the tire does not matter much, but rather the condition. Reason being you could always spray 303 aerospace protectant to nourish the rubber. If you see cracks around the side wall(dry rotting) or it it’s balding it’s time to replace.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
years ago I had a rear passenger tire blow out on a 1985 Cherokee sport. Thankfully there was no-one in the lane next to me as I wound up making an involuntary lane change. Quickly got off the road and changed the tire. Ah, remember when cars had spare tires? Now I just have fix a flat, AAA, Honda Roadside Assistance, and a cellphone.

Progress?!

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
years ago I had a rear passenger tire blow out on a 1985 Cherokee sport. Thankfully there was no-one in the lane next to me as I wound up making an involuntary lane change. Quickly got off the road and changed the tire. Ah, remember when cars had spare tires? Now I just have fix a flat, AAA, Honda Roadside Assistance, and a cellphone.

Progress?!
The Si doesn't have a spare tire?

OP
OP
Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Not the USDM version
If I had a flat I'd rather call roadside assistance and stay in the car, depending on the location. Too many people get killed changing tires on the side of a highway. I was a Paramedic and have seen people die from distracted driving.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
In 2014 I was driving a 2008 Acura TL Type S as my main daily, and as I was going down the highway on my way up to New York, I heard a loud pop and bang on the passenger side back tire going about 80 mph on the middle lane. There was a car next to me oblivious to the fact that my tire just blew, and I desperately needed to pull off to the shoulder as I was a danger to other drivers behind me so I slammed on the horn and started yelling at this dude to let me pull in, luckily he heard me before I completely lost control and I was able to safely maneuver my way onto the shoulder. Scary moment.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
i had a tire literally disengrate on the highway and pulled my car in that direction towards the wall. I drove for another 10 miles and did not get one scratch on the wheel or car, grace of God i made it
Sponsored