Any way to solve this? 27Won shift knob / handle install

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So my loving wife bought me a 27Won shift knob - cool right? I was pumped!

Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to solve this?  27Won shift knob / handle install WK3oSse

Go to install, and it turns out whatever moron put on the FACTORY shift knob torqued it down / cross threaded it. So while I got the stock shifter off, I cannot get the stock lock nut up off of the shifter itself due to the threads being trashed far down on there. Anyone have an idea how I can solve this? Is the shifter itself easy to replace?

Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to solve this?  27Won shift knob / handle install Da3wyn

Thanks for any help / insight - would love to get this installed versus selling it.

P.S. A special thank you to whoever at Swindon or the dealership made sure that a simple shifter change was a complete PITA.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

WK3oSse.jpg

Go to install, and it turns out whatever moron put on the FACTORY shift knob torqued it down / cross threaded it. So while I got the stock shifter off, I cannot get the stock lock nut up off of the shifter itself due to the threads being trashed far down on there. Anyone have an idea how I can solve this? Is the shifter itself easy to replace?

Da3wyng.jpg

Thanks for any help / insight - would love to get this installed versus selling it.

P.S. A special thank you to whoever at Swindon or the dealership made sure that a simple shifter change was a complete PITA.
Mine was like this, you're not alone either. I didn't know if this was my doing or the factory's doing, but yeah, it sucks. You need a new shifter for sure unfortunately. The good news is that the stock shifter is like 30 bucks. The bad news is that the install is pretty involved. You could also upgrade your shifter as well to something like the Mugen, Acuity, Hybrid, etc. shifters.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Easiest thing is just get a new OEM shifter; or upgrade to the 2020 version for the same price (under $40)

Good time to get some Acuity upgrades while you're in there ;)

Last edited:

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
maybe try a re-threading kit to at least get you by for now. but i highly recommend the Acuity Stage 3 shifter. but like other say, its a process to replace but if you're down there might as well upgrade

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i have the OEM shifter from my '18 if you want it. i installed the 2020 shifter so i have the other one just sitting in the garage. PM if you need it.

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an extra 2018 Si shifter that i aint using. I can ship it to ya for $20.

Threads are perfect as I just took it off this weekend for my new shifter.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
RETHREAD KIT AND PATIENCE IS ALL YOU NEED

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
I have an extra 2018 Si shifter that i aint using. I can ship it to ya for $20.

Threads are perfect as I just took it off this weekend for my new shifter.
SI shifter is a downgrade from CTR. Considering the labor involved to swap any of it; an extra $20 for new 2020 CTR is worth it.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag

WK3oSse.jpg

Da3wyng.jpg

Just rethread it with a die set

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SI shifter is a downgrade from CTR. Considering the labor involved to swap any of it; an extra $20 for new 2020 CTR is worth it.
Ah, I didnt realize this was a CTR thread Stupid active topics list on the homepage...

Its all good. I love the CTR shifter with all Acuity upgrades. I dont need height adjustment or a shorter throw. Its great now.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Easiest thing is just get a new OEM shifter; or upgrade to the 2020 version for the same price (under $40)

Good time to get some Acuity upgrades while you're in there ;)
Bit lost here, the 27WON knob is for the Type R?

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Bit lost here, the 27WON knob is for the Type R?
10th gen is 10th gen when it comes to shift knobs. All will fit.

Do you have a CTR or an SI?

In either case, the shifter assembly is damaged, you can't just replace that shift rod.

Easiest option is to replace the whole assembly. It's cheap, under $40 from Honda sellers online. Get the 2020 CTR shifter, it's the best OEM one to date.

54100-TGH-G01

Honda Civic 10th gen Any way to solve this?  27Won shift knob / handle install 1601486375264

While you're replacing, consider some of the upgrade parts from Acuity.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
10th gen is 10th gen when it comes to shift knobs. All will fit.

Do you have a CTR or an SI?

In either case, the shifter assembly is damaged, you can't just replace that shift rod.

Easiest option is to replace the whole assembly. It's cheap, under $40 from Honda sellers online. Get the 2020 CTR shifter, it's the best OEM one to date.

54100-TGH-G01

While you're replacing, consider some of the upgrade parts from Acuity.
Type R friend. Thanks for part number!
Sponsored