First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Hi everyone,
Planning an overhaul for my "premium" system to my 2021 civic.
already ordered a 3 way front stage speakers (Audiofrog GB series), new rear coaxial speakers (Cicker), 12 inch sub (JL W6), amps and a helix pro 10 channel DSP.
Looking to get a clean unfiltered signal to my DSP and bypass the factory amp without loosing functionality like SWC, HVAC, Honda sensing, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, back up camera etc.
After consulting with my local installer three options come to mind:
1. Splicing into the OEM head unit. Is there any way to get a clean signal by hacking into the OEM head unit?
2. Aftermarket HU. Are there any good aftermarket options? I understand that many people have good experience with Phoenix but it says it's only compatible with civics up to 2019 model year. Will it work with the 2021 model?
https://phoenixautomotiveins.com/pr...019?_pos=2&_sid=4b380f54b&_ss=r#Compatibility
also I understand there is good experience with the Navifly M400/500/600 but it says it's compatible up to 2020 model and couldn't find info here regarding any lost functionality.
http://www.navifly.cn/product/16002...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.18.68fd2227cMuOAK
My installer suggested this unit but couldn't find much info about it
https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKPHD02

3. Another option is just using a usb to stream music directly from my phone to the DSP. But that doesn't sound very convenient.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I used the factory outputs (high level) and the Kicker Key amplifiers (amplifiers +auto-EQ/processor)

But then last year Metra introduced their integration module - "Honda DSP Interface w/ Amp Bypass Harness 2016-Up - AX-DSPX-HN3"

If I had to do things over again I would try the metra kit.

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I used the factory outputs (high level) and the Kicker Key amplifiers (amplifiers +auto-EQ/processor)

But then last year Metra introduced their integration module - "Honda DSP Interface w/ Amp Bypass Harness 2016-Up - AX-DSPX-HN3"

If I had to do things over again I would try the metra kit.
So you used a filtered signal, right? My dsp can do de equalization as well, but looking for a clean signal in the first place.
As far as I know the Metra kit has BT problems, echoing on voice calls, which renders it unusable...

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I could not figure a way to get a "pure" or flat signal from the factory HU/Amp. As far as I know, its not possible.

But as of 2021, Metra also makes this solution for those who want to rid themselves of the factory HU and retain the climate control / backup camera. It's fairly expensive though and you also need their amp bypass kit.

https://www.thewireszone.com/produc...for-honda-civic-excluding-lx-models-2016-2021

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I could not figure a way to get a "pure" or flat signal from the factory HU/Amp. As far as I know, its not possible.

But as of 2021, Metra also makes this solution for those who want to rid themselves of the factory HU and retain the climate control / backup camera. It's fairly expensive though and you also need their amp bypass kit.

https://www.thewireszone.com/produc...for-honda-civic-excluding-lx-models-2016-2021
it says it retains "most" of the features, but doesn't say what it tosses. I'm interested in this, I used a metra kit similar to swap out my HVAC panel in my 95 taurus with electronic climate control - it was excellent

Last edited:

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
it says it retains "most" of the features, but doesn't say what it tosses. I'm interested in this, I used a metra kit similar to swap out my HVAC panel in my 95 taurus with electrocic climate control - it was excellent
I'll check it out. I wonder if it retains cruize control because that is a deal breaker for me...

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you used a filtered signal, right? My dsp can do de equalization as well, but looking for a clean signal in the first place.
As far as I know the Metra kit has BT problems, echoing on voice calls, which renders it unusable...
wouldn't the BT be associated with the aftermarket HU? or am I missing something?

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
wouldn't the BT be associated with the aftermarket HU? or am I missing something?
the Honda DSP Interface w/ Amp Bypass Harness 2016-Up - AX-DSPX-HN3 dosen't bypass the OEM headunit, it just bypasses the OEM amp and DSP, which is located after the OEM HU. so you use the original HU. Could have been perfect if not for the BT issue.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the Honda DSP Interface w/ Amp Bypass Harness 2016-Up - AX-DSPX-HN3 dosen't bypass the OEM headunit, it just bypasses the OEM amp and DSP, which is located after the OEM HU. so you use the original HU. Could have been perfect if not for the BT issue.
ohhh, my apologies - I thought you were refering to the metra dash kit, I have an EX-t w/o factory amp, so no worries here.
Sponsored