+9 PSI for MT Sport Touring - clutch

Clydester88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Can the clutch in the 2017 MT Sport Touring (Canada) handle the Hondata +9 PSI flash?

I've had it for a few weeks and love the low end torque. My boost peaks at 24 PSI.

I don't drive the car aggressively often, but like having that power when I need it.

I know that +9 PSI for the SI isn't recommended without an upgraded clutch, but I can't find anything definitive on the MT Sport Touring.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you been driving your MT Civic with the +9 tune? If so it sounds like you can answer the question yourself. :)

OP
OP

Clydester88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Have you been driving your MT Civic with the +9 tune? If so it sounds like you can answer the question yourself. :)
I guess I should rephrase my question :)

Will this cause my clutch to slip prematurely over time or is it within the clutch's capabilities?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I should rephrase my question :)

Will this cause my clutch to slip prematurely over time or is it within the clutch's capabilities?
From what I've heard from tuners that have really pushed the clutch if it starts to slip you will have an opportunity to make the necessary changes before you eventually find the clutch roasted. If you are not slipping at all now I would not worry about it.

213NSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX, S2K, CTR, ITR, etc
Country flag
From what I've heard from tuners that have really pushed the clutch if it starts to slip you will have an opportunity to make the necessary changes before you eventually find the clutch roasted. If you are not slipping at all now I would not worry about it.
So I'm not sure what your options are yet as the aftermarket is kinda in it's infancy, I think.

But your definitely want to upgrade your clutch sooner rather than later. It's ALWAYS better to have a stronger clutch, and less (let's say you just wanted to future proof) power, than more power and a weaker clutch.

Also, here's the thing, there's a VERY good chance you're going to be doing some major turbo stuff soon. That factory turbo set-up is going to get old fast (if you're anything like most Honda Bros I know). It's just going to wet your appetite and pretty soon your Civic will have more power. And more power. Might as well upgrade now. It's a fairly easy install too, given you have a friend with a shop, or even a decent set of Metric Honda tools, and a jack. And it's pretty cheap. Unless you're on a budget. If you have budget concerns, I'd honestly probably just leave your Honda stock AF. This is an expensive sport/hobby haha.
Sponsored