Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've been going back and forth with whether or not to tune. Since I've never tuned an ECU before, I went about my decision very slowly but ultimately bought a CARB legal FlashPro. Ktuner is an outstanding product and I almost bought their V2 but at the new $495 price point I figured the CARB FlashPro fit the bill for me. At least for now. It's basically a set and forget setup. I even plan on leaving it flashed for most basic dealer visits (oil changes and stuff) and emissions testing. What I plan on doing in this thread is to post about my total experience with Hondata and the tune so others can decide if tuning is right for them.

This first post will just outline my early experiences with everything as a novice to tuning.

First of all let's talk about Hondata. The good and maybe a little not as good. First the not so good. Their customer service could use some work. I had an issue with a small bug in the software and contacted customer service. Three days later I got an email admitting I was right about the glitch but the email never said they were fixing the error. Also, the Hondata forum itself isn't very good. I've gotten much faster and better answers here at CivicX. The good? Doug. He is extremely accessible and knows his stuff. He's even called me on the phone. How many owners of companies have called you on the phone? If it wasn't for Doug, I probably might have sold my FlashPro. I also think their software is mostly easy to use and intuitive. The FlashPro unit itself and the Hondata mobile app work great. Can't wait to get it up and running on my infotainment screen.

I finally uploaded the +6 dual (Hondata mode) tune today. I get a stock type tune pressing the Econ button and +6 PSI when I turn Econ off. As far as uploading a tune to the ECU for the first time, that can be a little scary. Oh, it's easy enough... press "upload" if you have a laptop or hold the program button down for more than a second on the Flashpro itself. The thing that's nerve wracking is watching every error code known to man flash on your dash. But I knew to expect that. It took about 4 minutes for the Program light to go out. I held down the power button and turned the car off. Then, I said a little prayer lol, and started the car. To my delight... all the error codes were gone. I have to say that uploading a tune is easy and seemless.

As far as detailed driving impressions, that will wait til my next post in this thread. I only took it out for a 15 mile drive after flashing and never really aired it out. Traffic was just too heavy. Plus, I've heard it takes a few driving cycles for the knock control to settle down completely and give me full power from the 93 octane I'm using. One thing I can definitely say is part throttle fuel economy is pretty much just like stock. The car felt slightly more eager to rev but I didn't even get it above 4,000 rpm due to heavy traffic. So far, so good.
----------

Cool tip: I did get one valuable tip/trick from a user at the Hondata forum that is nowhere to be found in Hondatas help guide. You actually can store the "return to stock" tune on the FlashPro itself. No internet connection or laptop needed in the car. With your FlashPro plugged into your PC at home, click on "return ECU to stock" under the Online dropdown in the software. That will upload your stock tune to the primary calibration. It will be blank but no worries... it is actually stored in the unit. Then, add your favorite tune to the secondary calibration. This way, it's super easy to go back and forth between your actual stock factory tune and your custom tune.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK dc2, I went back out and drove it a bit more aggressively. And 360glitch this is not road racing in any way, just some spirited driving impressions...:yes:

I've had some cars in the past that were fun to drive. My little CRX, my Integra, TransAm etc...

I never thought I'd say this but this Civic now feels almost as fun. No it's not as tossable as the CRX, certainly not high revving like my Integra and it's no TransAM V-8 but damn... that Flashpro +6 tune is nice. And I can't believe 93 octane Sunoco Ultra is only 5 cents more than 91.

On to the driving impressions...

Up til about 2500 rpm the tune feels basically stock like (my only engine mod is an aFE air filter). I notice it seems to rev a tad quicker than stock between 2000-3000 RPM (turbo spooling quicker?) . The fun begins at 3,000...

Two quick real world scenarios comparing stock to +6 PSI (what's that maybe 19.5 PSI basically?). There's an uphill very curvy highway on ramp I take every day. Usually as I'm merging on the highway I'm hitting low 60's giving it medium throttle. Well, with the +6 tune, I was easily hitting the 70's with the same throttle input. Then I decided to see what a little more throttle would do (well, a lot). There was a car maybe 50 yards ahead of me on the highway (I was doing about 65mph) and no one else around. I wanted to see how quickly I could catch up to that car and pass him. With my stock tune, I'd probably catch up doing maybe 80mph by the time I passed him. Well, as I looked at the speedo, I was doing 95mph (and climbing) as I passed him. Holy shit that happened fast. Very fast.

After that I took it easy and just cruised around. I'm really pleased with this tune. One thing I will say is to really put the power down, the stock tires need upgrading. I have my eyes on the General GMax AS-05 UHP all seasons down the road. I have an Ultra Racing front bar already installed and hope to get my Si bar installed soon (anybody here want to help a guy with a bad back? lol). This Civic is shaping up to be a lot of fun. :) I don't know the real numbers but my butt dyno says this thing is well over 200hp & 200tq. It moves my 2900 lb. car with authority!

Last edited:

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK dc2, I went back out and drove it a bit more aggressively. And 360glitch this is not road racing in any way, just some spirited driving impressions...:yes:

I've had some cars in the past that were fun to drive. My little CRX, my Integra, TransAm etc...

I never thought I'd say this but this Civic now feels almost as fun. No it's not as tossable as the CRX, certainly not high revving like my Integra and it's no TransAM V-8 but damn... that Flashpro +6 tune is nice. And I can't believe 93 octane Sunoco Ultra is only 5 cents more than 91.

On to the driving impressions...

Up til about 2500 rpm the tune feels basically stock like (my only engine mod is an aFE air filter). I notice it seems to rev a tad quicker than stock between 2000-3000 RPM (turbo spooling quicker?) . The fun begins at 3,000...

Two quick real world scenarios comparing stock to +6 PSI (what's that maybe 19.5 PSI basically?). There's an uphill very curvy highway on ramp I take every day. Usually as I'm merging on the highway I'm hitting low 60's giving it medium throttle. Well, with the +6 tune, I was easily hitting the 70's with the same throttle input. Then I decided to see what a little more throttle would do (well, a lot). There was a car maybe 50 yards ahead of me on the highway (I was doing about 65mph) and no one else around. I wanted to see how quickly I could catch up to that car and pass him. With my stock tune, I'd probably catch up doing maybe 80mph by the time I passed him. Well, as I looked at the speedo, I was doing 95mph (and climbing) as I passed him. Holy shit that happened fast. Very fast.

After that I took it easy and just cruised around. I'm really pleased with this tune. One thing I will say is to really put the power down, the stock tires need upgrading. I have my eyes on the General GMax AS-05 UHP all seasons down the road. I have an Ultra Racing front bar already installed and hope to get my Si bar installed soon (anybody here want to help a guy with a bad back? lol). This Civic is shaping up to be a lot of fun. :) I don't know the real numbers but my butt dyno says this thing is well over 200hp & 200tq. It moves my 2900 lb. car with authority!

glad to know you decided to upload the tune. welcome to the club :headbang: its a fun car for sure. The General Gmax AS-05 is what im currenlty using also, for a all season tire the grip is pretty amazing compared to stock.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick update. I really like this +6 base tune. I realize it's nowhere near the ultimate tune just a basic increase in power. For my driving, it's perfect. I don't race stoplight to stoplight. What I do use is midrange torque for passing and merging and it makes those moves effortless. It's so much more confidence inspiring than stock.

To those with the CVT, this tune does not change the lag down low. It's still there although I think the turbo spools a bit quicker than stock. For $495 the CARB FlashPro is a really good set and forget power upgrade.

Last edited:

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
thanks for sharing. i'm also looking to buy this

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you what's fun. I drove the car around the past couple days in Hondata Econ mode. No, that wasn't the fun part. The fun part was pressing the Econ button and getting my +6 tune back today. At the press of a button I went from econobox to sport sedan. :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only negative to the +6 tune is MPG. If I drive like a little old lady MPG's are almost as good as the stock tune. The problem is, it's just too much fun to not put your foot into it. Doing that, MPG drop from the high 30's to the mid to high 20's. It's so easy to pass other cars on the highway. Today, I passed a Turbo Optima like he was standing still. The guy had a "WTF" look on his face seeing my Civic badged rear end zoom past him.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you wondering if a tune will totally mess up your good mpgs ...

This is the mileage I got on my drive to work with the +6 tune flashed:

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata...Flashpro... +6 PSI ... my ongoing review rps20180330_084534

jamiethompsonre

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T Manual
Country flag
Great post, thanks for starting it. I just bought mine as well and uploaded the +3 to start with. Going to get my inspection sticker tomorrow.

What did you mean about the Software on your console? Is that with the iOS app coming to CarPlay?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey thanks for the props. I started the topic because Ktuner gets all the love here and it's a good product, no doubt. But, Hondata makes some good stuff too and I wanted to document that.

One area Hondata needs to work on is customer service. Ktuner CS seems much more responsive. At least that's been my experience.

About the software, I meant the Hondata app on our screen. You need to have Android though.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-put-hondata-mobile-on-your-type-r-radio-navi.21856/

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata...Flashpro... +6 PSI ... my ongoing review img_2663-

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damned dump trucks...

Here's an example of why the tune makes this car better in real world driving. Today I was stuck behind a dump truck on the highway spewing out gravel. To get away from the truck, I needed to go into the other lane. The way traffic was, I kind of had to make a "daredevil" move to make it over there. I had to time it perfectly and I needed a lot of power quickly. The thing is I wasn't about to stay behind that dump truck and let my car get all full of rock chips. With my stock setup, it would have kind of been a white knuckle move. With this +6 Hondata tune I rocketed into the other lane with little drama. This little car is quick. The tune inspires confidence.

Once I was able to, I then passed that damn dump truck in the fast lane. Man, I hate dump trucks. :rant:

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Damned dump trucks...

Here's an example of why the tune makes this car better in real world driving. Today I was stuck behind a dump truck on the highway spewing out gravel. To get away from the truck, I needed to go into the other lane. The way traffic was, I kind of had to make a "daredevil" move to make it over there. I had to time it perfectly and I needed a lot of power quickly. The thing is I wasn't about to stay behind that dump truck and let my car get all full of rock chips. With my stock setup, it would have kind of been a white knuckle move. With this +6 Hondata tune I rocketed into the other lane with little drama. This little car is quick. The tune inspires confidence.

Once I was able to, I then passed that damn dump truck in the fast lane. Man, I hate dump trucks. :rant:
Yeah it's definitely true that better acceleration power can add to safety. I've had the same thing happen to me before too, where if my car was too slow an accident could have occurred (I would have had to brake quickly and possibly had the car behind me slam into my rear).

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the great review. Mileage is a function of how heavy your right foot is, so you have proved that you can get great mileage with a performance tune. Can you get ethanol free fuel? You may be able to improve your fuel economy by 5% or so.

We haven't forgotten about our supporters here and we are still busy adding features and tuning capabilities to the 1.5 Civics for future software releases. We've been a little overwhelmed with the interest in FlashPro for the Civic Type R and have not been able to spend the time we have needed right here. In addition Hondata staff have been away in China the past 10 days investigating products for the 1.5 Civic. It is a popular car in China, with many exciting performance products under development.
Sponsored

Last edited: