6MT 2nd gear needing more gas than usual

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey everyone. I have a 2017 6MT Hatchback Sport with just under 7k miles. I do mostly city driving, and the last couple weeks it seems like 2nd gear has felt a little different to me.

It seems like I need to give it more gas or ride the clutch more when driving at slow speeds (mainly parking lots.) It almost feels more like my old 2004 5MT with a couple hundred thousand miles.

Is the clutch finally broken in? That's what a coworker told me, but that doesn't sound right. I am not very mechanically savvy though. I would guess this would be normal when the clutch finally starts wearing down, but seems odd with such a new car with so few miles.

Everything else seems normal as far as shifting. I do live in a colder climate and try to keep the RPM below 2-2.3k until the engine is heated up. Could I have been shifting too early and worn something down? Hope I am going crazy or this is normal. Thanks!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The shifter should be able to enter the gate at any RPM. You may need to hold the shifter in front of the gate for a brief moment, applying gentle pressure, before it engages into place. Could be due to the cold or any other combination of factors.

If it simply refuses to go into gear, or is having a tough time, set up a quick visit at the dealer and have a tech take a quick test drive. GL.

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The shifter should be able to enter the gate at any RPM. You may need to hold the shifter in front of the gate for a brief moment, applying gentle pressure, before it engages into place. Could be due to the cold or any other combination of factors.

If it simply refuses to go into gear, or is having a tough time, set up a quick visit at the dealer and have a tech take a quick test drive. GL.
Thanks for the reply. ItsI not that I can't put it into gear at a specific RPM, more that I have to give it more clutch or gas in 2nd for it not to feel like it'll stall. Noticed it's more touchy it 1st, too. Seems like it wants more gas or more riding on the clutch than I was used to up til now. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Obviously, the car/trans needs to be moving to have smooth engagement. As long as the clutch is fully depressed, you shouldn't notice any major resistance except for the time it takes for the syncros to match up (which can be affected by RPMs).

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Not trying to start in 2nd. And also not having trouble getting it into gear. I guess the best example is in 2nd or 1st in a parking lot. Seems like the car is wanting more gas before feeling like it will stall than I was used to.