2007 Civic EX Spark Plug Missle/Bullet

bluzfanmr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Touring Coupe, '10 Hyundai Tucson
Country flag
Got a call from my stepson yesterday as his '07 Civic broke down and he was sitting on the side of the road. He said he heard a metal noise or bang in the engine area and it died and wouldn't restart, though it would crank just fine. After a tow to a mechanic (son lives 1,000 miles away), it turns out one of the spark plugs exploded and put a hole in the hood, as if it was a bullet or missle. I had changed the plugs 5 years and 100,000 miles ago when the car was mine. I don't know if the plug worked itself loose or the plug gave out. Hopefully the threads aren't damaged and need redone and nothing was sucked into the engine. We'll know today. I myself have never seen this happen before and I'm surprised it could poke a hole in the hood like that.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2007 Civic EX Spark Plug Missle/Bullet IMG_5058

Honda Civic 10th gen 2007 Civic EX Spark Plug Missle/Bullet IMG_5057

Last edited:

bushfreakz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 SI, '17 FK8
Country flag
I had same thing happen a long time ago. Engine suddenly barely ran so pulled over and opened the hood. Everything looked ok so gave the engine a crank. The spark plug had backed itself out but was still attached to the wire and it shot out of the block and over the building where i had parked. Threads were fine for me and yes the spark plug cable dented my hood as well from the repeated slamming of it. Stand clear!