orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
So I'm really torn about whether or not to get a ceramic coating done. The car is about a month off the lot and brand new, so I figured if I'm going to do it, I should do it while the paint is still in near factory condition. My question is whether or not spending $500 on the low end to $3,000-5,000 is really worth it or if I should just use wax or some sort of sealant (or a combo of the two?). I can't really justify spending that much on something that- sure, lasts for years- but ultimately is not permanent and will fade. Right now I have some Griot's poly wax- haven't used it yet because I'm trying to figure out if I should get some sort of sealant first and apply it before waxing.

Sorry for the long post- in short: is ceramic coating really worth the $$$?
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do it yourself. Take about 5 days. 1 day prep, 1 day apply, 3 day cure. Save yourself a ton of money.

It was totally worth it for me. I can now wash my car and dry in like 15min vs 1.5hr I would spend per wash and the car stays cleaner too.

Archie

First Name
Cj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic coupé lx 2017
Country flag
If you’re on a budget go for the turtle wax hybrid solution. 2 layers of that spray will last you 1 year if you respect the curing time.

I did this on mine since it’s not a super car that doesn’t justify the big end ceramic coating in my opinion.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The biggest difference between professional ceramic and spray on ceramic is how long they last

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For me it’s worth it. I have had in for nine months and zero regrets. I have ABM colour and it really is susceptible to swirls so the ceramic protection keeps my OCD at bay. Also for me personally a wax job every one or twice a year is a lot of work and I am not good enough to buff out swirls or scratches. I also don’t like how much time it takes to remove tar prior to reapplying wax. I think it’s really up to you. Just if you do make sure you get the paint correction before. Cheers.

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Turtle wax... Super hard shell. My grandfather used it on his 56 Mercury and it looked like new until the body rusted off.
Seriously, the product is overrated it's just a car, wash it a couple of times a month, wax it 1 or 2 times a year. It will depreciate the same. Put the cash towards a retirement goal.

Btw, I use Maguire's cleaner wax on my 2 Corvettes, my new F150 and the 19 civic. Plus my wife's CRV

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I see a couple people like the Turtle Wax hybrid ceramic wax. Has anyone tried the Maguire's hybrid ceramic wax?

I've watched a few videos comparing them & they both seemed pretty good. IIRC one was easier to apply & the other lasted longer.

OP
OP
orio89

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Do it yourself. Take about 5 days. 1 day prep, 1 day apply, 3 day cure. Save yourself a ton of money.

It was totally worth it for me. I can now wash my car and dry in like 15min vs 1.5hr I would spend per wash and the car stays cleaner too.
Thanks for the reply. Is it best to do indoors? Also, I'm pretty inexperienced, sort of afraid of screwing something up...but the more and more and look into DIY kits, I'm thinking its a viable option

OP
OP
orio89

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Turtle wax... Super hard shell. My grandfather used it on his 56 Mercury and it looked like new until the body rusted off.
Seriously, the product is overrated it's just a car, wash it a couple of times a month, wax it 1 or 2 times a year. It will depreciate the same. Put the cash towards a retirement goal.

Btw, I use Maguire's cleaner wax on my 2 Corvettes, my new F150 and the 19 civic. Plus my wife's CRV
Yeah, its very pricey for what is ultimately temp protection (albeit superior protection). I"ll look into that Turtle wax. Thanks mate

mbpbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX-L Hatch
Country flag
I'm in similar situation. Decided to go with Turtle Wax seal and shine and plan on putting it on this weekend. Similar protection for fraction of the cost. Online reviews claim it is pretty long lasting and I don't mind having to re-apply 2-3 times a year.

OP
OP
orio89

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
For me it’s worth it. I have had in for nine months and zero regrets. I have ABM colour and it really is susceptible to swirls so the ceramic protection keeps my OCD at bay. Also for me personally a wax job every one or twice a year is a lot of work and I am not good enough to buff out swirls or scratches. I also don’t like how much time it takes to remove tar prior to reapplying wax. I think it’s really up to you. Just if you do make sure you get the paint correction before. Cheers.
Your paint looks immaculate! Very nice. Glad it's working out for you. I won't lie, ima bit jealous ?

OP
OP
orio89

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I'm in similar situation. Decided to go with Turtle Wax seal and shine and plan on putting it on this weekend. Similar protection for fraction of the cost. Online reviews claim it is pretty long lasting and I don't mind having to re-apply 2-3 times a year.
Damn everyone is mentioning Turtle wax hybrid or ceramic stuff...I've been riding with Griot's products because I really like the car soap and interior cleaner and detailer, so I just kept with that brand. I wrote it off as "your grandfather's wax" but sounds like Turtle might be worth a closer look.
Sponsored