tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This is a dealership we're talking about here - they'll need to mess it up 4 times before doing the right thing, getting the part.

Dealerships will do all kinds of stupid things 'trying to help' and you can never predict it. Sounds like they want to use their in house bodyshop to 'fix it up' and that never ends well lol.
I've actually used my dealership's body shop to do all the body repairs on my car. Haven't had any issues with them. They're in my insurance's network of body shops which was also nice.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I've actually used my dealership's body shop to do all the body repairs on my car. Haven't had any issues with them. They're in my insurance's network of body shops which was also nice.
I'm sure there are solid ones, but see my second response - the path to hell is paved with good intentions

Working an insurance claim / body work is one thing - them trying to spruce up a car for sale and trying to not spend any money doing it (their objective imo) - is another.

R-Rated

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
As stated before. The skirts come prepainted. Best option

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Here is my 'it's a small thing, I'll let the dealership handle it' tale.

2005 - I'm buying my wife a 2005 Mustang GT 5.0 - I want to surprise her with it. I have it specced out juuust as she wanted it - no fins, no extra plastic, not even a spoiler - loaded inside.

Car gets there - it's got a small spoiler on the back.

Order proper trunk? Shoot no - this is the dealership.

They put a trunk from another car on it. But uh oh - the other trunk didn't have a hole for the GPS that was on the trunk that came from the factory. Shoot we can just re-run it- call our stereo guy!

Stereo guy puts puck for GPS on top of dash, out of sight yay! GPS doesn't work that way - it has to be mounted on metal and ~3" from the edge of a door - ask me how I know - I had to look it up and tell them because the satellite radio in the new car didn't work after moving it.

Oh did I mention the stereo guy scratched the new leather? No problem - dealership got this!

Dealership gets 'their leather guy' that goes to work on it - didn't order new seat cover - that would make sense. The guy SPRAY paints over the scratch, which splatters on the center console.

Then the dealership replaced the seat cover, only then.

Queue dealership finally getting the trunk in - but they wanted to 'help me' so they washed the car after I told them not to. Several times. Nicely. Even bought kolaches.

Car comes back looking like a pair of koala bears were dressed in steel wool boxer briefs and proceeded to twerk all over my car.

I was assured only the best care was done, and I quote 'Sir, we have guys with buckets that do this all day long'. Ah yes, the non scratch bucket filled with filth, then used to wash the car.

So yeah, take it like it is and don't let them touch it, is my opinion. Or walk and get an unblemished one.

Let the dealership touch it? No thanks.
I have been a service consultant in several dealerships and unfortunately NapalmEnema's experience is the norm not the exception. I would not be the LEAST BIT SURPRISED if they have their "Mobile touch up guy" spray only that spot and try to blend it in.

If it goes to a body shop, you will be breathing Bondo dust forever, likely from other cars being worked on in the shop. It is very nearly impossible to get it completely out of the interior and ventilation system. Also the engine compartment.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Just have the dealer order you a new prepainted side skirt and call it a day.

OP
OP

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Just have the dealer order you a new prepainted side skirt and call it a day.
Is this doable on a type r? I asked him today about it and he seemed unaware that this is even a possibility...?

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Here is my 'it's a small thing, I'll let the dealership handle it' tale.

2005 - I'm buying my wife a 2005 Mustang GT 5.0 - I want to surprise her with it. I have it specced out juuust as she wanted it - no fins, no extra plastic, not even a spoiler - loaded inside.

Car gets there - it's got a small spoiler on the back.

Order proper trunk? Shoot no - this is the dealership.

They put a trunk from another car on it. But uh oh - the other trunk didn't have a hole for the GPS that was on the trunk that came from the factory. Shoot we can just re-run it- call our stereo guy!

Stereo guy puts puck for GPS on top of dash, out of sight yay! GPS doesn't work that way - it has to be mounted on metal and ~3" from the edge of a door - ask me how I know - I had to look it up and tell them because the satellite radio in the new car didn't work after moving it.

Oh did I mention the stereo guy scratched the new leather? No problem - dealership got this!

Dealership gets 'their leather guy' that goes to work on it - didn't order new seat cover - that would make sense. The guy SPRAY paints over the scratch, which splatters on the center console.

Then the dealership replaced the seat cover, only then.

Queue dealership finally getting the trunk in - but they wanted to 'help me' so they washed the car after I told them not to. Several times. Nicely. Even bought kolaches.

Car comes back looking like a pair of koala bears were dressed in steel wool boxer briefs and proceeded to twerk all over my car.

I was assured only the best care was done, and I quote 'Sir, we have guys with buckets that do this all day long'. Ah yes, the non scratch bucket filled with filth, then used to wash the car.

So yeah, take it like it is and don't let them touch it, is my opinion. Or walk and get an unblemished one.

Let the dealership touch it? No thanks.
Cool story but the 2005 mustang gt wasn't 5.0
Hahahahaha

To the OP I would just ignored. Not worth it. The car will get scratches anyway. Specially in that area.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Apparently the service manager / Honda said they will only approve a paint repair and not the replacement part...
If that was their stand...just to be a jerkoff i’d order it from their parts dept then have them put it in writing no returns & get a full refund from amex return protection lol

but im just spiteful

give honda corporate a buzz and see if they will good will you the skirt or ask for a regional, they are budgeted for special circumstances and not many people are buying right now..
might help u

OP
OP

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I have been a service consultant in several dealerships and unfortunately NapalmEnema's experience is the norm not the exception. I would not be the LEAST BIT SURPRISED if they have their "Mobile touch up guy" spray only that spot and try to blend it in.

If it goes to a body shop, you will be breathing Bondo dust forever, likely from other cars being worked on in the shop. It is very nearly impossible to get it completely out of the interior and ventilation system. Also the engine compartment.
He mentioned due to the fact the side skirts aren't a core body part, they will be taking it off the car to paint and not putting the car through this.. thoughts?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
You're not committed to the car right? Just let them do the repair and see how it turns out? If it looks like crap pass and move on or ask for a discount that happens to be the cost of the skirt.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
He mentioned due to the fact the side skirts aren't a core body part, they will be taking it off the car to paint and not putting the car through this.. thoughts?
That is very good and I would feel good about that process but it still means someone is going to be driving it.
Instead, I would ask for an accessory/service hookup.
Like a free lowering spring install and alignment?

OP
OP

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
You're not committed to the car right? Just let them do the repair and see how it turns out? If it looks like crap pass and move on or ask for a discount that happens to be the cost of the skirt.
It is the last one in the province, and I have been informed by a few dealers they are unsure if any more Type R's will be shipped in the future. It is also 4 hours away, so I don't want to commit to that drive and find out it looks bad.
Sponsored