NEW CTR - Dirt under the Clear Coat?

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
About to purchase a 2020 Boost Blue CTR and the Dealer Sales Manager told me that during the detail they discovered dirt or some substance underneath the clearcoat on the sideskirt that must have managed to be overlooked by the factory during production... Please see pics.

I have asked them to repaint the sideskirt under the warranty, am I making the right call here?

Apparently it is the last BB in the Province and for the foreseeable future?

PAINT1.jpg

PAINT2.jpg

Advertisement

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
What do you mean making the right call? Just have them repaint the skirt and you’re goodie no?

OP

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
What do you mean making the right call? Just have them repaint the skirt and you’re goodie no?
Just worried about if them painting it will be a big deal, compared to the initial factory paint? And if it will match, etc. First time buying a new car, was hoping for a clean experience here, but no luck

DiamondR

Banned
First Name
Sawdomy
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type r
Country flag
Just worried about if them painting it will be a big deal, compared to the initial factory paint? And if it will match, etc. First time buying a new car, was hoping for a clean experience here, but no luck

your making the right call, just carefully look it over once done

OP

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
your making the right call, just carefully look it over once done
appreciate the response, it's a 4 hour drive to check out, so I am going to take the dealers word for it, seems like a very straight up guy (especially to say something far before hand) and I'll ask for lots of pics too

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I wouldn’t worry about it. The front end of your car is eventually gonna have a ton of nicks from daily driving. I used to work at a body shop and I can tell you that 90% of factory cars have some kind of defects. I’ve found paint runs and small dirt in my paint also. I bet if I saw your car in person I could spot more. When cars are built and painted on a massive scale, then defects are going going to get pass inspections.

Reaction score
Car(s)
19 typeR
Country flag
I would also buy the car as is. Any repaint will almost always not match factory paint and will end up looking worse.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Maybe put a sticker there? I would NOT have them paint the car. The dust of the body shop gets EVERYWHERE!

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 M2, 2013 X5M, 2019 Type R!!!
Country flag
Maybe put a sticker there? I would NOT have them paint the car. The dust of the body shop gets EVERYWHERE!
Good point -

Goodbye new car smell

Bud it's the size of a squashed ant - accept it take the car and enjoy life. You'll get more damage than that within the year unless you never drive it.

Further than 5-8 feet and you can't see it unless you KNOW it's there and are looking for it? LOL move on man.

ez12a

Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Why not have them fix before buying? It's in both parties interest to have it fixed well. I doubt anyone will buy at MSRP anyway with those blemishes.

Also since you're in Canada you don't really have to worry about mark up. You have the pick of the lot so I'd rather just get a clean example.

phan10ms

Reaction score
Car(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
No need to paint. You guys are forgetting that the skirts can be ordered from the factory with the factory paint. He can simply have them order a replacement side skirt.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
No need to paint. You guys are forgetting that the skirts can be ordered from the factory with the factory paint. He can simply have them order a replacement side skirt.
This is a dealership we're talking about here - they'll need to mess it up 4 times before doing the right thing, getting the part.

Dealerships will do all kinds of stupid things 'trying to help' and you can never predict it. Sounds like they want to use their in house bodyshop to 'fix it up' and that never ends well lol.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Here is my 'it's a small thing, I'll let the dealership handle it' tale.

2005 - I'm buying my wife a 2005 Mustang GT 5.0 - I want to surprise her with it. I have it specced out juuust as she wanted it - no fins, no extra plastic, not even a spoiler - loaded inside.

Car gets there - it's got a small spoiler on the back.

Order proper trunk? Shoot no - this is the dealership.

They put a trunk from another car on it. But uh oh - the other trunk didn't have a hole for the GPS that was on the trunk that came from the factory. Shoot we can just re-run it- call our stereo guy!

Stereo guy puts puck for GPS on top of dash, out of sight yay! GPS doesn't work that way - it has to be mounted on metal and ~3" from the edge of a door - ask me how I know - I had to look it up and tell them because the satellite radio in the new car didn't work after moving it.

Oh did I mention the stereo guy scratched the new leather? No problem - dealership got this!

Dealership gets 'their leather guy' that goes to work on it - didn't order new seat cover - that would make sense. The guy SPRAY paints over the scratch, which splatters on the center console.

Then the dealership replaced the seat cover, only then.

Queue dealership finally getting the trunk in - but they wanted to 'help me' so they washed the car after I told them not to. Several times. Nicely. Even bought kolaches.

Car comes back looking like a pair of koala bears were dressed in steel wool boxer briefs and proceeded to twerk all over my car.

I was assured only the best care was done, and I quote 'Sir, we have guys with buckets that do this all day long'. Ah yes, the non scratch bucket filled with filth, then used to wash the car.

So yeah, take it like it is and don't let them touch it, is my opinion. Or walk and get an unblemished one.

Let the dealership touch it? No thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement