Android Auto - Which phone?

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Just curious which phone people are using. Maybe state the phone make/model, current OS version, any problems/quirks you've seen using Android Auto.

For me:

LG Nexus 5
Android version 6.0

No problems yet, but I notice that switching between AA functions has a significant lag. Could just be my 2+ y.o. phone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
One thing that does bug me, the navigation directions do not appear in the D.I.I. (Driver Information Interface, the speedometer screen) on my EX. I wonder, do models with Nav display the turn-by-turn directions in the D.I.I. when using AA?

brian30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I can't get AA to work at all on my civic. I have a Note4. I've brought 3 new USB cables and still doesn't work. I've rebooted the infotainment system and AA on my phone (took it on and off my phone) still can't get the car to recognize that my phone is connected to my car. Any tips? Thanks

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I can't get AA to work at all on my civic. I have a Note4. I've brought 3 new USB cables and still doesn't work. I've rebooted the infotainment system and AA on my phone (took it on and off my phone) still can't get the car to recognize that my phone is connected to my car. Any tips? Thanks
Check to be sure when you plug it in that the USB connection type on your phone is set for "charge". This may not apply depending on Android version.

What version of Android is your phone running?

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
OnePlus One with Android 5.0.2 (Oxygen OS Rom)
Android Auto for maps and spotify works pretty well. My google voice commands however never work. Whenever I tell it to play an artist on spotify the screen will say spotify is not available at the moment. After that voice commands altogether suck, as soon as I hold the voice button, before I can say anything, I get: "if you just said something i didn't hear what it was." And that pretty much sums up when I get fed up with AA and listen to FM (which I never used to do before this).

brian30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Check to be sure when you plug it in that the USB connection type on your phone is set for "charge". This may not apply depending on Android version.

What version of Android is your phone running?

I'm running 5.1.1 on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on Tmobile Network in the USA.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just curious which phone people are using. Maybe state the phone make/model, current OS version, any problems/quirks you've seen using Android Auto.

For me:

LG Nexus 5
Android version 6.0

No problems yet, but I notice that switching between AA functions has a significant lag. Could just be my 2+ y.o. phone.
LG Nexus 5X, Android 6.0.1. There is some lag on my phone too, but not too bad. I think phones with more than 2GB memory like the Nexus 6P will run Android Auto the best. One quirk I've noticed is that sometimes (like 1 in 5 times), Android Auto will not start up properly after connecting the USB cable. Unplugging and replugging the cable fixes it.

One thing that does bug me, the navigation directions do not appear in the D.I.I. (Driver Information Interface, the speedometer screen) on my EX. I wonder, do models with Nav display the turn-by-turn directions in the D.I.I. when using AA?
Yes, Android Auto directions show up in the DII if you have a Touring or EX-L Nav. It is unfortunate that Honda made the decision to keep this functionality from the the other Civic trims.

Have you paired the phone with Bluetooth already? I think I read somewhere that Android Auto needs Bluetooth to work, even though it uses a cable. The Bluetooth is for phone calls.

benttable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Can someone who got it to work their android phone in airplane mode with office maps downloaded? I'm looking for a cheap android phone to buy without service just to got google maps to work. I already have an android phone from work, but they lock down android auto, and my personal phone is iphone, which locks out google maps.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Can someone who got it to work their android phone in airplane mode with office maps downloaded? I'm looking for a cheap android phone to buy without service just to got google maps to work. I already have an android phone from work, but they lock down android auto, and my personal phone is iphone, which locks out google maps.
You could also wifi tether the cheap Android phone to your iPhone. I know the Moto E 2nd gen runs AA. It's about $30 these days.

I am also interested if offline maps will work with AA. I'll try to remember to try it and report back.

OP
OP
bhorn

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
You could also wifi tether the cheap Android phone to your iPhone. I know the Moto E 2nd gen runs AA. It's about $30 these days.

I am also interested if offline maps will work with AA. I'll try to remember to try it and report back.
Confirmed. Google offline maps does work (in a limited sense) when Airplane mode is enabled. You can see current location, and stored locations, but searching for destinations did not work.

micha3lwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP EX-T, 2013 CRV EX
Country flag
EX-T
Google Nexus 6P
Version 6.0.1

Works flawlessly for about 90% of the time. The other 10% has connection issues if I plug in my phone too early. I'd just unplug and plug it back in and it works fine.

*Hope I didn't just jinx myself lol

nboyanov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
EX-T
Works flawlessly for about 90% of the time. The other 10% has connection issues if I plug in my phone too early. I'd just unplug and plug it back in and it works fine.
This is also the case for me. Just gotta wait for it load up before plugging in.

Just a heads up if anyone is using a custom ROM (specifically kernel), it will likely break Android Auto support.
Depends on the rom probably. In my case it works better with the custom rom vs the stock.
Sponsored