The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hyundai Kona N, 17 Civic Coupe Touring (Sold)
Country flag
I’m super excited for it. One concern I have is whether I should upgrade my head studs or not. If I do upgrade the studs, should I just replace the head gasket too cuz the car is “high mileage”?
Unless your running ethanol, big turbo, or custom tuned, you don't really have to worry about the head lifting.

But upgrading would be great peace of mind, especially if you are planning on being tuned and owning the car for many years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Unless your running ethanol, big turbo, or custom tuned, you don't really have to worry about the head lifting.

But upgrading would be great peace of mind, especially if you are planning on being tuned and owning the car for many years.
I couldn't have said it better. Most of the blown Si head gaskets have been in exactly the scenarios you described.

Nyqn_cat

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Coupe
Total Tuned Time: 2 Months
Tuned Miles Driven: 1500
Tuning Device(s) Used: Ktuner v2
Tunes Used: TSP One+
Fuel Used: 91 (theres no 93 in nothern colorado 😔😔)
Additional Related Mods: Catback
Problems/Issues: None
Driving Style: I floor it a lot (when its at temp obv)
Tune Experience Notes: I pretty much always use map 3. I know from other people saying that the Clutch goes out first then the headstuds so I plan on getting those done later down the line. Other than that I love this car. For a civic its pretty nice the only complaint is no volume knob. Not sure what honda was thinking with that :(

Bona

First Name
Bona
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI 2020
Country flag
Some updates to my car. Removed the HKS BOV and reverted back to the stock BOV, got the acuity full assembly shifter with the linkage bushing and added a DC Sports strut bar.

Vehicle: 2020 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 month

Tuned miles driven: 400

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: running de default dual setup 19/23 psi on sport mode.

Fuel used: 91

Additional related mods: Eibach Sportline Lowering springs, Acuity Short Shifter and DC Sports strut bar.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually on the speed limit, some speeding when later hours and no traffic around.

Tune experience notes: The KtunerV2 was a huge upgrade, rev hang delete and overall smoothness and responsiveness of the car is night and day.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) acuity-shifter

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) DC sports

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Coupe
Total Tuned Time: 2 Months
Tuned Miles Driven: 1500
Tuning Device(s) Used: Ktuner v2
Tunes Used: TSP One+
Fuel Used: 91 (theres no 93 in nothern colorado 😔😔)
Additional Related Mods: Catback
Problems/Issues: None
Driving Style: I floor it a lot (when its at temp obv)
Tune Experience Notes: I pretty much always use map 3. I know from other people saying that the Clutch goes out first then the headstuds so I plan on getting those done later down the line. Other than that I love this car. For a civic its pretty nice the only complaint is no volume knob. Not sure what honda was thinking with that :(
Quick questions. What does your knock control look like after a pull or two? Do you have access to E85?

Nyqn_cat

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Quick questions. What does your knock control look like after a pull or two? Do you have access to E85?
Yes I have access to e85. The highest ive seen the knock control on ktuner is .52 Im not sure if thats high or low. but typically itll sit around .49

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Nyqn_cat can you post a datalog with some pulls (.kdlg in a zip file)? The reason I ask is TSP specifically says you have to run 93+ octane on the 1+ tune due to elevated knock control causing reduced power.

The numbers you mention seem surprisingly good so I'd like to see it on a real time log. Although you didn't mention it in your post are you splashing in some E85?

From TSP
93+ octane REQUIRED. Use of lower grade fuels is NOT tolerated, and will result in power loss.

The calibration will support up to about 15% ethanol content if necessary to increase knock resistance. For example, you can blend approximately 1 gallon of E85 with 91 octane to achieve the knock resistance required to safely and effectively use this tune.

Last edited:

Nyqn_cat

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
@Nyqn_cat can you post a datalog with some pulls (.kdlg in a zip file)? The reason I ask is TSP specifically says you have to run 93+ octane on the 1+ tune due to elevated knock control causing reduced power.

The numbers you mention seem surprisingly good so I'd like to see it on a real time log. Although you didn't mention it in your post are you splashing in some E85?

From TSP
Here's the datalogs you requested. Whats the normal range that the knock control is supposed to be in?

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ideally as close to .49 as possible. As it rises, timing is reduced meaning reduced power. Higher octane generally means lower knock control (unless you get a bad batch). I always recommend top tier gas from a busy station.

The highest I saw was .56 on the 23 psi log and .53 on the 1 gallon E85 one. Outstanding considering you did many, many pulls during the logs.

This screenshot was taken on your 10th pull (in a matter of 15 minutes) on the E85 log. You're fine to say the least.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot 2024-04-18 035135

All your other numbers are also excellent.

Last edited:

Kugod

First Name
Ku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport coupe
Country flag
lol here we go…..

Car: 2019 civic sport coupe 2.0l (cvt)

Time tuned: about 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 34k (39k total)

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tune used : custom tune by Dan @ Etunez

Fuel type used: E30 (manual blend 93 w e85)

Mods list:
*coil overs
*upper strut bar
*lower strut bar
*3 point brace
*2 point brace
*z23 brake kit
*racing rear motor mount
*TB spacer
*PRL intake
*DW300c FP
*Rdx 410cc fuel injectors (I wired myself)
*Msd ignition coils(going back to stock)
*type r arp headstuds
*catless DP
*custom 2.5 exhaust with stock res and high flow muff
*light weight crank pulley
*cvt trans cooler
*TB coolant bypass
*firehawk Indy tires

-do plan on retro fitting type r intake manifold and doing more to upgrade the fuel system, also have CF hood on its way currently

Problems/issues: I’ve had to replace ecu, one of the tires busted, stock injectors went out, replaced trans coolant w filter, both o2 sensors, spark plugs three times, the rear bottom bolt that threads into the rear wheel knuckle broke into the threads and had to get a new knuckle, rear speed sensor, head started to lift a year in so I had to do a head gasket job, ended up spinning the main bearings and broke my reluctor wheel on the crankshaft into two resulting in needing a short block so I paid 3300 for that to be done. And just had to replace my serpentine belt last month.

Experience: car has been a blast and a plan in my butt at the same time, but I’ve been able to run her up to 145mph do note though I was going at a slight decline and let off the gas cause it started getting sketchy. She still gets up and goes but has to get warmed up at first otherwise the car will started to hiccup a bit. No cvt issues even though I beat it to shits, Ive only did the park brake launch once. I love this car and plan on taking her to the moon .

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_0042

Last edited:

First Name
Gamester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5t CVT
Vehicle: 2016 Honda Civic 1.5t CVT Sedan (International Model)

Total tuned time: 3 years, 4 months

Tuned miles driven: 21,000

Tuning device used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: All KTuner base maps, TSP Tune, MaxPower, RevItUp Brazil,

Fuel used: 95 RON, E10 Blend, E40 Blend

Additional related mods: Vargas GC Turbo, PRL Turbo Inlet Pipe, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, PRL Cobra CAI Race MAF, REV9 Intercooler, 3" Downpipe (catless) & Frontpipe, KTuner V1.2

Problems/issues: Nothing major, once had an oil seal leak and currently an unexplained rise in knock control only at low rpm range (1300-1500rpm)

Driving style: Totally depends on what the traffic conditions allow. Most of the day time it’s a very normal drive hardly touching the speed limits. However, later on at night with least traffic its beast-mode on! and it gets compulsory to WOT at every given opportunity. That being said I NEVER keep it at WOT for more than 15 secs. Always keeping an eye on Transmission Temp, ECT & Knock Control.

Tune experience notes: About 3 years ago, I started off with a simple KTuner 18psi base tune with no other mods. Instantly I could feel the difference from stock. Few months later added on a PRL CAI with Race MAF and switched to KTuner 21psi dual map with the proper MAF calibration. It felt awesome in every way. After that I got the TSP (off the shelf) tune and the car’s top end got even better. Pls note that there are not many OTS tune options for the CVT out there (particularly for my ECU version i.e., P51). Next step was to get an upgraded intercooler along with the DP/FP combo. After this I started educating myself with basic tuning principals and monitoring the data off the TunerView app. Soon I started to realize that my AFR was too rich under WOT with the TSP tune so I sent them an email but no response. Shifted back to KTuner 21 psi but that also had the car running pretty rich. So, getting a custom tune now was the only choice left. In the meanwhile, I also decided to go for a bigger turbo and flex fuel. Started doing my research on the best CVT tuner for our cars and locked on ‘Rev It Up’ Brazil. It was a remote tune with many revisions and endless data logs. Finally, after about a month I got everything dialed in and got the tune set for 3 levels of fuel i.e., pump gas, E10 and E40. Needless to say, that the tune automatically changes according to the type of fuel it detects. I am very happy with the performance levels gained with this tune and the power I get on E40 is simply unbelievable for a 1.5-liter engine. But the best part is that it still drives like a normal family sedan with excellent fuel average (as long as you can control your foot 😈)

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 59fbde81-a128-4148-8551-b9f5c6fcd38d

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 2497fadf-da0c-409d-9912-da33835a98d1

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
lol here we go…..

Car: 2019 civic sport coupe 2.0l (cvt)

Time tuned: about 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 34k (39k total)

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tune used : custom tune by Dan @ Etunez

Fuel type used: E30 (manual blend 93 w e85)

Mods list:
*coil overs
*upper strut bar
*lower strut bar
*3 point brace
*2 point brace
*z23 brake kit
*racing rear motor mount
*TB spacer
*PRL intake
*DW300c FP
*Rdx 410cc fuel injectors (I wired myself)
*Msd ignition coils(going back to stock)
*type r arp headstuds
*catless DP
*custom 2.5 exhaust with stock res and high flow muff
*cvt trans cooler
*firehawk Indy tires

-do plan on retro fitting type r intake manifold and doing more to upgrade the fuel system, also have CF hood on its way currently

Problems/issues: I’ve had to replace ecu, one of the tires busted, stock injectors went out, replaced trans coolant w filter, both o2 sensors, spark plugs three times, the rear bottom bolt that threads into the rear wheel knuckle broke into the threads and had to get a new knuckle, rear speed sensor, head started to lift a year in so I had to do a head gasket job, ended up spinning the main bearings and broke my reluctor wheel on the crankshaft into two resulting in needing a short block so I paid 3300 for that to be done. And just had to replace my serpentine belt last month.

Experience: car has been a blast and a plan in my butt at the same time, but I’ve been able to run her up to 145mph do note though I was going at a slight decline and let off the gas cause it started getting sketchy. She still gets up and goes but has to get warmed up at first otherwise the car will started to hiccup a bit. No cvt issues even though I beat it to shits, Ive only did the park brake launch once. I love this car and plan on taking her to the moon .

IMG_0042.jpeg
Based on your long list of failures it's obvious how gentle you are with your car. :cool:

Appreciate the details. I'll add you to the failure thread soon.

_jdavidfc4

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX 6 speed manual.
Country flag
*Rdx 410cc fuel injectors (I wired myself
Was it a custom fit? Easy to do? Might look into this to push my car even further if it’s port injected. @Romeoridgee any knowledge on these?

How much weight did you save when doing the swap compared to stock pulley? Also where did you buy it? Link?

Last edited:

Kugod

First Name
Ku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport coupe
Country flag
Was it a custom fit? Easy to do? Might look into this to push my car even further if it’s port injected. @Romeoridgee any knowledge on these?

How much weight did you save when doing the swap compared to stock pulley? Also where did you buy it? Link?
i bought the injectors from Honda direct for a Acura rdx (the stock injectors) and bought a pin kit Separately so I could use the stock injector wires in our cars. I cut the wires at the old injectors clips, crimp the wires to the new pins for the rdx injectors and repin the new clips with the old wire. (I’m trying to explain as simple as possible so my bad if this kinda reads weird). They fit directly, a little more snugger actually but still good fit , no issues with them

the crank is a NST R18 crank pulley and they claim it shaves a bit of weight off and adds 5-10hp, was a direct fit also but the key way was a tad small and needed to be trimmed. Here’s the website- https://www.nonstoptuning.co/store/c27/Pulley_Kits_|_HONDA.html
Sponsored