The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know my friend, we are trying to pin point and help him/her whenever we can.

If he/she losing coolant while experiencing the things like mine. I’ll just hope the car is still under warranty
Gentlemen, I think you might be on to something, there, with the coolant. I was surprised to find this morning that the reservoir was nearly empty. Gonna see how much I can add when the engine cools down, and add a head gasket service to the list of things I'll need done at the shop.

In the meantime, can someone help me out and educate me on the mechanics of a head gasket leak? Like, what is happening, exactly, and how much damage is this doing to the engine? Does this need to be addressed ASAP e.g. I shouldn't drive at all until I get this fixed? Or would it be relatively safe to continually monitor/add coolant for the next week or so while I set up an appointment with the shop?

The car is highly modified at this point, so I'm not even gonna bother with Honda, just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the speed shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I sheepishly said "how's the coolant level?". When I put the misfires and stuttering together with cold start wonkiness it started to make sense. Plus most of the 10th gen head gasket issues have been Si's driven hard on higher powered tunes.

I think the consensus is to get another OEM gasket but use ARP studs. Although some use the Cometic gasket.

If it is a head gasket, NO don't drive around with it. Get it fixed ASAP. Now, mind you I don't know 100% that's the issue but with the coolant that low, it surely needs to be checked NOW.

Last edited:

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's why I sheepishly said "how's the coolant level?". When I put the misfires and stuttering together with cold start wonkiness it started to make sense. Plus most of the 10th gen head gasket issues have been Si's driven hard on higher powered tunes.

I think the consensus is to get another OEM gasket but use ARP studs. Although some use the Cometic gasket.

If it is a head gasket, NO don't drive around with it. Get it fixed ASAP. Now, mind you I don't know 100% that's the issue but with the coolant that low, it surely needs to be checked NOW.
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice and will do.

Enzym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport CVT Polished Metal Metallic
Country flag
I just got my Ktuner but I'm waiting (not for long, phearable have been very fast so far) for my 1.5 tune. If I charge my battery at the same time as I flash base tune, and let's say tomorrow I reflash did I will kill my battery lol?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I always use a trickle charger (Battery Tender) while flashing a tune.

Enzym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there a way to adjust parameters in the program without being connected directly to the ECU?
If I open a base map (not connected to the ECU) on my laptop there is only "MAF scaling & Quick Adjustment" in main parameters.
There are many more parameters that I am supposed to see and my ECU (5AN-C750) is in the list on the Ktuner site.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you opening a "Starter tune"? The "Stage" tunes are mostly locked and won't have much you can touch.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's odd. If I was to create a new Starter tune, I see this:

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) Screenshot 2024-03-27 183530

Contact [email protected]

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey GT!

So this is the datalog from this morning on my way to work. Misfiring like crazy, could barely drive the car over 3k RPM with a certain amount of throttle. (Datalog0004)

and just now i changed the spark plugs and gapped to 0.30. Did a little datalog for that as well. (Datalog0005)

Let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary.

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to track down that old edited post from the guy I mentioned the other day. Sadly, it's another hatchback rod failure (#14). It's mind numbing that 14 of the 17 (82%) Non-Si rod fails are FK7's. I also added his car to the failures thread.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...lity-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-1258814

Guys just one more reminder. Please don't edit an old post with new info. Make a new post only. Thanks.

Enzym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just noticed something, Ecu Software are 37805-5AN-C750 not 37820-5AN-C750 (like alllll the ecu number in the Ktuner site.)

FK when I took pictures of my ecu I never worried about the numbers in front of the ****-5AN- Am I screwed?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So this is the datalog from this morning on my way to work. Misfiring like crazy, could barely drive the car over 3k RPM with a certain amount of throttle. (Datalog0004)

and just now i changed the spark plugs and gapped to 0.30. Did a little datalog for that as well. (Datalog0005)

Let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary.
Actually fuel trims look really good in both logs. Second one is a bit better though.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Actually fuel trims look really good in both logs. Second one is a bit better though.
okay good to know! So definitely it ain’t my fuel pump causing the misfire then. So hopefully changing the spark plugs does the trick. I changed the coil packs car was driving amazing the last two days then the misfire came back last night. So hopefully I can be good from here on out and continue with installing my bolt ons and a pherable tune.
Sponsored