So many Air intake in the market, which is the best?

So many Air intake in the market, which is the best and why?

• Injen short ram

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Injen cold air intake (CAI)

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • AF Dynamic short ram

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Mishimoto short ram

Votes: 15 33.3%

• Total voters

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He kinda sounds like that guy from months ago that said all HID kits were illegal in EVERY headlight thread and that he was going to get all aftermarket parts banned from the world.
Sponsored

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so your just doing same as stock and no sound......
for the same price i hear my turbo...so everybody doesnt have the same purpose modding their cars...thats the truth...you beleive your car is going to be driving better with thoses parts? good for you.....
I'm confused why everyone is wasting money no the PRL hose its going to do absolutely nothing but look different. That stock intake box is such a terrible design is cuts off so much air from getting through the intake so adding that hose isn't doing anything at all! wasting $100 when for $60 more you can buy the AF Dynamic intake and have way more sound!!

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I'm confused why everyone is wasting money no the PRL hose its going to do absolutely nothing but look different. That stock intake box is such a terrible design is cuts off so much air from getting through the intake so adding that hose isn't doing anything at all! wasting $100 when for $60 more you can buy the AF Dynamic intake and have way more sound!!
Actually the tube and drop in filter made more power than PRL was expecting, 4-7 peak whp on the dyno they posted. I have it, it was noticable, nothing crazy BUT better than stock.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
It's better then the af intake. It does make a difference, reguadless of how much, doesn't matter. It does help to a degree, so no, it's not a waste of money. And no the stock intake isn't terrible design. It's been proven that you don't even really need a intake on this platform. Although if you want the most out of the intake mod, the silicon tube and high flow filter is good, PRL CAI even better.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ok so today i did the ultimate test with my buddy...ive push the car for almost 1 hour drive with full boost,
1st gear at WOT with spinning tires going in 2nd etc.....never felt that the car was going slower than any other time and its been pretty hot today too!
always seen the full boost gauge at its peak too! (manual by the way)
and when weve pop the hood , weve touch the intake pipe, filter and guess what? not even hot at all....couldnt even tell if the car had driven....so to my great surprise.....the flow in the engine bay is very good!
i would say exellent..........

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Dude you sound like you have a needle stuck in your ass? So negative. Almost all threads you been posting in. He's actually adding more power with that set up then the short ram intakes. Most people would rather spend the money to buy something that is going to have benefits. Not just sound. But if you just want sound then cool. Doesn't really matter.
I think he is coming from the side where you start as a skeptic. Basically all the intake manufacturers have come out and said "oh, the stock intake system is SUUPPERRR RESTRICTIVE!!!!" and then posted dynos showing their 15-29hp gainz, then everyone believed them and bought them.

Then on independent back to back testing, as with like every modern car, it ended up being very minimal difference (2-4 hp), some of which is due to the intake temperature. If you go on other forums too, like any stringent back to back testing by 3rd party who have been good with their testing on most well designed modern platforms have failed to show significant gains on different intakes. HP and mileage are significant selling points these days and most manufacturers aren't just leaving easy hp out there on the table.

So I think his point is, where does the flavor of the month intake make power where everyone else failed to do so? Since so many other manufacturers have been not quite forthcoming, why should they believe this new ___ manufacturer. Maybe they took time because they are slow and don't work 110 hrs/week to get a product out like the chinese people. Has a 3rd party done back to back testing as stringent as the hondata one?

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Well he just sounds really passionate about that brand. I can agree to PRL being the best in making power. But others being garbage, blah blah blah. That's the part where I go WTF? I totally agree that there are plenty of fraudulent companies out there that produce products that will make your car run worst. But I don't believe anyone of the one listed in this thread or on the vid that @hawk02 posted are. They all made decent amount of power and they all seem like quality products.

Since you brought it up, what company are you talking about that are making these garbage products? You seem offended at my comments which was not my intention. I am just trying to understand the logic in your post.

Again, I agree. Cost aside, PRL makes the best CAI so far. Now best bang for the buck could very well be that AF intake if someone would test it out on a dyno. I know injen went stupid with their ridiculous dyno numbers but their intake did make decent power gains.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Well he just sounds really passionate about that brand. I can agree to PRL being the best in making power. But others being garbage, blah blah blah. That's the part where I go WTF? I totally agree that there are plenty of fraudulent companies out there that produce products that will make your car run worst. But I don't believe anyone of the one listed in this thread or on the vid that @hawk02 posted are. They all made decent amount of power and they all seem like quality products.

Since you brought it up, what company are you talking about that are making these garbage products? You seem offended at my comments which was not my intention. I am just trying to understand the logic in your post.

Again, I agree. Cost aside, PRL makes the best CAI so far. Now best bang for the buck could very well be that AF intake if someone would test it out on a dyno. I know injen went stupid with their ridiculous dyno numbers but their intake did make decent power gains.
I would think Hondata is as reputable a company as PRL so why would you not believe their video but do believe PRL? I could care less at this point but doesn't make sense to me anyway. As for AF dynamic, I had their SRI on my 2015 Si and loved it, the new ones for this platform look to be a clone of Injen so I would think it should perform equal....they do use a cheaper filter though so that could be an upgrade.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
See my comment # 29 . Don't you think that, if significant performance gains could be realized by simply a different passive intake configuration, then Honda would surely have adopted it by now ?! Look at the great car they designed and produced. These shysters like Injen et al, are just trying to separate you from your money. Might sound different and/or be prettier, BUT ...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The simple truth is, if you want major power gains on this car and want them easy, get a tune.

Whether it's an SRI or a CAI, your biggest gains will be in sound basically.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
I believe the bottom line from companies like honda is cost. Is the product good enough for that price point? Couple dollars savings over hundreds of thousands of cars add up quick. And most consumers couldn't care less about making more power, or needing an intercooler for better cooling, etc.

And it's all about supply and demand. These aftermarket companies sell what they sell because people buy them. Look at phones. New model every year that's just a tiny bit better but there's tons of people I know who drop money like on them like it's an addiction. If I could sell zip lock bags of chicken shit on the side of the road for $20 (because it's organic) all day long, I'd drop my job faster than I drop my pant when I get home after work.

Last edited:

UnMass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I paid $160 for my intake i love it and it sounds amazing, other people out there are paying double or more then what i paid to get maybe 1 more hp then i do. I would rather save 100's of $$$ and lose 1 or 2 hp haha :thumbsup:
Which intake did you go with dude? I wanted an SRI for the sound, but I did notice some performance loss on my last car with heat soak. Not that it's a huge deal where I live, heat soak only really affects Canadians like 2 months out of a year. I do have to ask though - wouldn't a larger intercooler theoretically negate the heat soak caused by an SRI? The compressed air will be way warmer than any ambient air in your engine bay.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Which intake did you go with dude? I wanted an SRI for the sound, but I did notice some performance loss on my last car with heat soak. Not that it's a huge deal where I live, heat soak only really affects Canadians like 2 months out of a year. I do have to ask though - wouldn't a larger intercooler theoretically negate the heat soak caused by an SRI? The compressed air will be way warmer than any ambient air in your engine bay.
I think he is talking about the AF Dynamic SRI, they are $160 all over Ebay.
Sponsored