MPG worries?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Is anyone concerned about the observed gas mileage consumer reports of 28? That's a controlled test not flooring it etc? another place I saw 26? The idea of this was to get good mileage and have some fun when you want to. Or am I jumping the gun we need to wait till the actual production models are released and more extensively tested? The way I drive I am going to get worse Gas mileage then in my 2009 Pontiac G6 with 116k miles on it. Which I am getting an average of 24 to 26 mpgs. That is a 220 hp 220 lb 6 cyl that weighs 600 more pounds?
Sponsored

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Is anyone concerned about the observed gas mileage consumer reports of 28? That's a controlled test not flooring it etc? another place I saw 26? The idea of this was to get good mileage and have some fun when you want to. Or am I jumping the gun we need to wait till the actual production models are released and more extensively tested? The way I drive I am going to get worse Gas mileage then in my 2009 Pontiac G6 with 116k miles on it. Which I am getting an average of 24 to 26 mpgs. That is a 220 hp 220 lb 6 cyl that weighs 600 more pounds?
Did Consumer Reports say what type of driving they did and who they arrived at the 28 MPG figure? They could have floored it for a few minutes and looked down to see 28 MPG for all we know. Or was the figure after running through a whole tank of gas with mixed driving? If so, I find it hard to believe they got 26 MPG when the factory rating is 35 MPG for mixed city/highway.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
A test by Motor Trend of the turbo seems to indicate that if you take it a little easy with your right foot mpg close to the EPA ratings are possible:

"The optional engine makes 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque -- greater than all Si variants up to 2005 -- but achieves Real MPG of 27.1/45.3/33.1 mpg city/highway/combined with our Touring-grade test car."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/2016-honda-civic-10-new-tech-niblets/

okx2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S60
I would keep in mind that all of these cars are pre-production models. Yes, they take a flogging and I'm sure they are left idling for extended periods of time while pictures are taken and while checking out the new interior.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
not worried at all i was able to get 31 mpg combined on my 2008 and 2009 civics

OP
OP
firsthonda

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
No
Did Consumer Reports say what type of driving they did and who they arrived at the 28 MPG figure? They could have floored it for a few minutes and looked down to see 28 MPG for all we know. Or was the figure after running through a whole tank of gas with mixed driving? If so, I find it hard to believe they got 26 MPG when the factory rating is 35 MPG for mixed city/highway.
No but they are normally pretty consistent with how they test.. But yeah could have been a random test and not a real test. I think I am just going to have to test drive and clear the trip and drive normal for 30 miles or so....

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Honda's pretty conservative with its estimates and probably won't be so aggressive with its factory specs where you can't reproduce it in real life.

OP
OP
firsthonda

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Honda's pretty conservative with its estimates and probably won't be so aggressive with its factory specs where you can't reproduce it in real life.
Thanks.. Just curious I have a lead foot and always accelerate faster then most people around me. Don't expect to get the top of range. Just not crappy mileage. I also don't usually ever floor it though just when some annoying person makes me want to get around them. So I should get decent mileage.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
Thanks.. Just curious I have a lead foot and always accelerate faster then most people around me. Don't expect to get the top of range. Just not crappy mileage. I also don't usually ever floor it though just when some annoying person makes me want to get around them. So I should get decent mileage.
Are you getting the 1.5T? You should be fine bc the torque comes on much earlier than the NA engine so you'll be able to make passes without revving the hell out of it.

OP
OP
firsthonda

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Are you getting the 1.5T? You should be fine bc the torque comes on much earlier than the NA engine so you'll be able to make passes without revving the hell out of it.
I am getting the 1.5 t if the Si is manual. if they bring over the 8 DCT with paddle shifters I will be on that like flies on crap! What are you getting?

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
It may be the way I drive but I never achieve anywhere close to the claimed MPG on any car I've owned. Also, generally the less interested I am in driving the car (i.e. boring, vanilla econoboxes) the better MPG I get in real life. With the sexy and sporty looks of the new Civic I expect to get nowhere close to class leading MPG :D

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
I am getting the 1.5 t if the Si is manual. if they bring over the 8 DCT with paddle shifters I will be on that like flies on crap! What are you getting?
I'd be surprised if we see DCT anytime soon. Maybe by the 11th gen? I'm looking to upgrade to the '17 Si but the performance numbers for the sedan are already very impressive as it almost keeps up with the Si's of old. If Honda can price the Si well (only a few hundred would be amazing) I'll definitely opt for the Si, just as long as they don't handcuff it with CVT only. I doubt that but crazier things have happened.

Ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion SEL
Should be fine. Keep in mind engines need a few thousand miles to break in for better fuel efficiency.
Sponsored