Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I just had my motor replaced by Honda, I was just under the warranty…. I had my long block supposedly replaced. It was replaced because I had a head gasket blow, and for months no one including Honda could figure out what it was. Anyways, I find it odd, that I got the car back and I did not beat on it, I have a race maf prl cobra intake so I obv I to run a reflash to have that, but I left it on 20 psi and drove the car normal. I shit you not, I drove the car hard ( not even hitting redline ) for one night here and there, maybe 5 moderate up to 5500 rpm not even 5k Rpm pulls, and the next morning I go to hop on the highway, I start giving it gas, I hear a loud poof air type noise, and boom I’m in fucking limp mode. Needless to say I couldn’t fucking believe it, it’s a new motor ……. So I restart it, the codes go away, I checked the waste gate sensor, to see if it through the same light. Yeah it did. Put it back in, drove around until lights all shut off. Now today I go to drive it ( still in 20psi ) and I can’t even go above 4k rpm’s …… if this is the head gasket yet again, I’m blaming the fucking mechanic, it had to be done on purpose; there is no way in hell, the car stock would blow a head gasket unless the head studs were not torqued to spec……… I find it even more odd that when I went to pick up my car, he made a comment like “ oh don’t beat on it ! “ fucking Dick head. 1700 miles !?’!?!? AND THE HEAD GASKET BLOWS !?!?!? NO WAYYYYYYY especially when I was not beating on the damn car this is UN FUCKING REAL.

I need someone to give me some other ideas as to what this could be man cause this is screaming head gasket to me. The spudders under hard throttle. The fuel cut off. It just seems like that, could it be coils ? Sure. But if they’re new then how ? Spark plugs ? Sure…. BUT IF THEY ARE ALL NEW HOW ….. this is ridiculous. I’m about to scrap the car.
Sponsored

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I had a similar experience after getting my motor replaced by insurance due to an unfortunate hydrolocking years ago. Hit it hard as soon as I got it back and had the same poof plus no boost. Turned out to be the hose connected to the turbo inlet pipe popped off. Slid it back on, tightened the hose clamp, and haven't had a problem since. Can't say for sure it's the same, but check all connections from intercooler to turbo and make sure she's tight.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
You need to take a breather and calm down and check for obvious things first before fearing the worst. When hose clamps aren’t secured properly and pop off they make that noise. Sounds like a boost or vacuum leak.

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sounds like a hose went loose check any that connect to the engine had a similar issue, when one of my charge pipes got loose and my oil catch can decided to crap out.

OP
OP
10thgenSIcoupeBLK

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Thing is guys, if it’s a loose hose clamp, would it still hold boost ? Cause it holds boost until harder acceleration.

OP
OP
10thgenSIcoupeBLK

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Ahhh okay, I’ll have to check that tomorrow, when I first looked I didn’t see anything too out of the ordinary, but maybe I need to take a closer look. I hope that’s all it is for an issue, shit I’d rather it be me needing to replace the turbo. That’s cheaper than doing another head gasket, and an easier install. I do have after market headstuds, I just haven’t installed them yet.
So I’m going to pray to gezus, and hope that it’s what you guys are saying, cause man…… this feels just like the head gasket issue.

OP
OP
10thgenSIcoupeBLK

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Welp, what I did notice was that Honda never put my under side cover back on…… which is annoying. As for hoses, I did a skim before a bee kept harassing me, and I don’t notice any loose looking hoses, so I took pics, if anyone noticed anything out of the ordinary please point it out

Honda Civic 10th gen Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues. IMG_9206

Honda Civic 10th gen Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues. IMG_9207

Honda Civic 10th gen Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues. IMG_9208

Honda Civic 10th gen Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues. IMG_9209

Honda Civic 10th gen Motor replaced 1700 miles ago, already has issues. IMG_9210

GreenMachineGTE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't think those photos are going to help anyone. You need to look from underneath the car at the hose connections from the turbo to the intercooler on the hot side, and from the intercooler to the throttle body on the cold side.

OP
OP
10thgenSIcoupeBLK

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I don’t recall saying I was “ stock “ I said I was running stock boost levels. A 10th gen si’s L15b7 runs at 20.3 psi. Regardless…. A brand new motor, should not have an issue after a few pulls, that aren’t even to redline. Car has never even been launched. I’m starting to think it’s the coil packs or spark plugs to be honest. After really looking under my hood, I found it odd that one coil pack looks like it’s from a god damn junk yard. I’m wondering if this motor is from a junk yard too no LOL. Let me also add, now low speed boosting either. The car is only boosted after 3-3500 rpm

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I mean check your invoice what did they put in the car? Did they do a long block or did they do a shortblock? From the photos the top end is a bit dirty to be a new long block but idk where you live / how dusty it is/ if they spilled a ton of oil when doing the work etc.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t recall saying I was “ stock “ I said I was running stock boost levels. A 10th gen si’s L15b7 runs at 20.3 psi.
The Si doesn't really run at 20.3 psi stock. Real world, maybe 17-18 psi on a good day.

Same with Honda's advertised 16.5 psi number on the non-Si. Most people were only seeing 14-ish psi real world.
Sponsored

Last edited: