Status
Not open for further replies.

Derangedcorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
When I read that dbl basically labeled engineers as sheeple (I'm an EE) I pretty much assumed he wouldn't listen to reason. The pic of him checking his oil is hilarious though. Shit's about to blow yo.

"Hey I know you spec'd this for 12V, 1A but ima run it at 13V cause... it's better bro. Trust me, I'm not an engineer"
Sponsored

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
no trolling here I actually own and operate a 2016 Civic X Coupe Touring, I'd be very leery of some 'engineer' who spends his career designing door panels in a cubical reading me the Honda manual's oil spec like gospel, of course it's wrong, then listen to them tell you turbo's run cool especially at a stop with little air movement..wacked.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not that the 0/20 spec is wrong it just doesn't fit, most guys are going to protect the engine better rather than save a gallon of fuel per month that's where dbl and Honda have a conflict. This has been iterated again and again by industry experts quoted right here in this thread and everyone agrees except a handful of members wired to take orders, common sense over rules them on this hands down.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
our engine platform is now common among almost all name plates save Toyota, we all know the upside but we need to address the downside dynamics as well, upgrade your oil til it's sorted out.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X15000432
4. Conclusions
Soot agglomerates extracted from engine oil from a modern gasoline direct injection engine have been characterised for the first time, with the aim of assessing size, distribution and shape. The nanostructure of the primary particles was also investigated. A robust methodology to produce samples for TEM and HRTEM was developed and outlined.

Agglomerate size was given in terms of skeleton length, width and fractal dimension. At the macro scale, the GDI soot agglomerates are remarkably similar to agglomerates from light duty diesel engines as reported in the literature. The mean length and width were found to be 153 nm and 59 nm. 54% of the agglomerates presented an aspect ratio <2.5, indicating a small predominance of compact structures with very modest branching. The mean fractal dimension of the agglomerates was calculated to be 1.44.

Conversely, the primary particles differ in nanostructure from a typical diesel soot particle. GDI primary particles are spherical in shape, with some irregularities. The mean diameter was found to be 36 nm. An inner core and outer shell structure was found in the majority of the particles. The wider graphitic layers concentrically orientated, and typically with fewer reactive sites, were covered by an amorphous 5 nm layer with very short segments.

Volatile lamellar graphitic structures were found deposited on the external surface of soot-in-oil primary particles. TEM-EDX analysis of non-soot nanoparticles in the sample showed the widespread presence oil additive elements and wear metals.

PADave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT, 2002 Toyota Sienna
I don't suspect that any amount of evidence will change your mind but here are some scholarly peer reviewed articles on the subject from the past few years. You have mentioned LSPI and engine wear as the concerns. I looked at a dozen or so and didn't see one that said low viscosity engine oils are associated with increased engine wear. I fact I found the opposite. For example:
http://papers.sae.org/2016-01-9071/
In this paper we focus on the effect of the engine oil base stock on LSPI. We conducted experiments in a stationary engine operating at conditions chosen to accentuate pre-ignition. Our results indicate that base stock viscosity has a statistically significant effect on the amount of low speed pre-ignition. Directionally, we found that engine oils formulated with higher viscosity base stocks produced more pre-ignition events.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X17300579
Results show a fuel consumption reduction in the fleet test and corresponding friction reduction in the tribometers when LVEO are used. (LVEO = Low Viscosity Engine Oils)​
http://papers.sae.org/2014-01-2797/
Due to the increasingly stringent emissions standards in the world and, on the other hand, the foreseen shortage of fossil fuels, the application of low viscosity engine oils (LVO) is considered one of the most interesting options for counter these threats. In parallel to a fuel consumption fleet test, the aim of this study was to assess the performance of commercial low viscosity oils regarding their degradation and engine wear, since the use of LVO could imply an increase in wear rate. Potential higher engine wear could result in a reduction in the expected engine life cycle, obviously is a non-desired effect. In addition, currently limited data are available regarding “real-world” performance of LVO in a real service fleet.On this test, 39 urban buses were monitored using a detailed and extensive oil analysis program, comprising two engine technologies (Diesel and CNG) and four different lubricants, two of them LVO and other two considered as a reference baseline, during an oil drain period of 30000 km. Samples were taken each 3000 km. For every sample, a broad list of physical and chemical properties was measured, and especially engine wear was quantified using ICP-OES, in order to assess wear patterns in the engine.Results indicate that oil performance and wear effects do not show abnormal patterns due to use of LVO.
http://pdf.blucher.com.br/engineeringproceedings/simea2014/63.pdf
SUMMARY
Fuel economy has been, and continues to be, an area of great interest to the automotive industry as a whole. There are several routes to improve fuel economy through the optimal design of the lubricant: reduction in the overall viscosity, use of friction modifiers, and the use of the specially designed viscosity modifier that delivers fuel economy while providing superior wear performance.

OP
OP

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
your a fuelly guy, enough said, 0/20 is the best for your objective, have fun.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
no trolling here I actually own and operate a 2016 Civic X Coupe Touring, I'd be very leery of some 'engineer' who spends his career designing door panels in a cubical reading me the Honda manual's oil spec like gospel, of course it's wrong, then listen to them tell you turbo's run cool especially at a stop with little air movement..wacked.
Turbo's have been around since 1938. Nothing new. The 1.5T is a very simple and light turbo that give 30HP more than the 2.0. Under normal driving the boost is not doing much of anything.

No its not getting any hotter sitting idle. This engine is super efficient so it actually starts cooling down at idle. Sure if you are revving it up like crazy and you shut the motor off the oil in the intercooler will be hot, but nothing new to turbo's

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hey guys, I can put water into my engine block because water is in coolant so it cools, and it's wet so it lubricates right???????????????

PADave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT, 2002 Toyota Sienna
Hey guys, I can put water into my engine block because water is in coolant so it cools, and it's wet so it lubricates right???????????????
Knock yourself out, put whatever you want to put in your car.
Just don't tell others that you know that water is better than what Honda says to use, that you have used water in twenty cars that all lasted 400,000 miles with no leakage and no harm and that we are all going to destroy our engines in 40,000 miles if we don't also switch to water immediately. There are people who read these forums to get good advice.

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He thinks turbos are air cooled... :doh:

Everything about this comment screams how little you know about the actual automotive manufacturing world. Interior trim engineers don't write the specs for power train.

Trust me dude. You may think you know something about automotive manufacturing, but you don't. I thought I knew a ton about it too, then I started working for GM and realized I knew nothing about the level of detail that goes into designing cars.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
If I'm wrong I'll just go back to spec..lost a couple gallons of fuel, so what..if your a younger guy and intend to do 200+k? upgrade your oil now til this is sorted out..it's the safe bet as all the other Mfg's have done.
When and how will you think you are wrong?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.