Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
This weekend, I experienced the silly symphony of codes and warning lights. "EPS Problem, Hill start problem, brake system problem, brake hold problem, emissions code detected, blood pressure too high, bank account balance too low" etc. You know the ones. The same ones that we almost habitually tell other civic owners "It's your battery" followed by some rehearsed speech about sensitive electronics and voltage swings.

Well, this weekend I had the same symptoms. The only difference is I knew exactly what the problem was when it happened. You see, I was cruising along in traffic when I suddenly heard a change in my engine. I could now hear the turbo. For as nice as that sounded, I certainly lost all feeling of boost. Glancing at my KTuner showed normal target pressures (17 PSI) and almost no actual pressure. I went from a zippy fun grocery getter to a three cylinder Geo Metro with worn out spark plugs instantly. You see, just a few weeks ago, I had all my charge piping apart to drop my transmission. I reasoned that I must've missed a hose clamp and the charge piping came apart.

I pulled over and checked - sure enough, the pipe came apart right before the intake manifold from the hard pipe to the rubber elbow. Sweet! Cheap fix! ... except I didn't have my normal road kit in the car, which meant no tools to tighten the hose clamp. I stuffed the pipe back together and tried to baby the car out of the parking lot, but my efforts were laughable. POP! This time, however, the sudden drop in engine performance caused a series of dings and warning lights to pop up on the dash basically telling me that I had hit the automotive apocalypse.

Neat.

I limped the car home (and boy, I mean limped...) and let it cool off. Now, properly armed with the flat blade screwdriver of truth, I reattached the charge piping and secured the hose clamp. I reset the codes from the Ktuner, cycled the ignition, then went for a test rip. Performance had returned to replace the disco light show on my dash HUD.

The code was P004A. Now, this is interesting to me. Why would the Honda logic send pretty much every control system into limp mode and send a vehicle operator into a panic with such dire warnings over a simple boost control code? I can understand a throttle control code, or brake pressure sensor failure...ya know, things related to the ability to stop and steer the vehicle. Not boost control.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
From online sources...

"P004A
This code is fairly uncommon. It generally will show up when the owner forgets to double and triple check all charge pipe clamps and connections." šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

RookieOfTheGear

First Name
Ay Ay Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Honda Civic Si (Coupe)
Country flag
One time I had the similar problem battery was new but I got all the warning lights everything was freaking out. Long story short a rat or mouse chewed my wires itā€™s possible it just ripped because it has a tight bend where it connects but there was rodent poop fresh around the area. I had to solder it n extend the wire out it was a pain because it broke so close to the connector was much wire sticking out to work with or attached anything to.it was the wire on the back side of the engine block kind of behind the oil cap side incase any one is having the same problem take a look back there.
Honda Civic 10th gen Interesting "Christmas Light Dash" phenomenon - NOT battery related IMG_6941
Honda Civic 10th gen Interesting "Christmas Light Dash" phenomenon - NOT battery related IMG_6942
Honda Civic 10th gen Interesting "Christmas Light Dash" phenomenon - NOT battery related IMG_6939
Honda Civic 10th gen Interesting "Christmas Light Dash" phenomenon - NOT battery related IMG_6940

OP
OP
Guitar_stitch

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One time I had the similar problem battery was new but I got all the warning lights everything was freaking out. Long story short a rat or mouse chewed my wires itā€™s possible it just ripped because it has a tight bend where it connects but there was rodent poop fresh around the area. I had to solder it n extend the wire out it was a pain because it broke so close to the connector was much wire sticking out to work with or attached anything to.it was the wire on the back side of the engine block kind of behind the oil cap side incase any one is having the same problem take a look back there.
Ooof. That looks less than fun to track down.

I'm glad I knew what my issue was almost immediately. "Start with the last thing you touched".

OP
OP
Guitar_stitch

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad it was a simple fix!

I can only reason the comprehensive limp mode is because of the tight integration of all systems.
I'm glad it was too. It goes back to the golden rule of troubleshooting: look at the last thing you touched before it broke.

I can kinda see how the integrations would trigger completely unrelated systems, but it definitely seems a bit dramatic for this type of fault.

However, I guess we can no longer blindly recommend battery and terminal checks without some sort of code indicator as well.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad it was too. It goes back to the golden rule of troubleshooting: look at the last thing you touched before it broke.

I can kinda see how the integrations would trigger completely unrelated systems, but it definitely seems a bit dramatic for this type of fault.

However, I guess we can no longer blindly recommend battery and terminal checks without some sort of code indicator as well.
Yeah, after my turbo install, my fuel trims and everything were way TF off on the test-drive, but the ecu flashed fine. I was stressing a bit, figured it had to have been a plug I missed, even though I checked them. So, pulled over, popped the hood, and, sure enough, the last thing I touched, the intake, I didn't plug in the MAF sensor. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼šŸ˜… It's always the simple things overlooked. Plugged it in, and everything went back to normal. I re-flashed just in case.
Sponsored