Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Since we're on the topic I was on my way to a car meet the other night, the location was in front of a grocery store. I guess the police caught wind of what was happening and the place was full of them. Long story short, I ended up getting a ticket for having no front plate and no proof of insurance (I had insurance at the time) any advice for that?
I've heard the Long Beach police are doing 'zero tolerance' enforcement around car meets.
We've had a few street takeovers recently, and that's how they're addressing it.
Sponsored

AaronStrong

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport, '90 240sx S13
Country flag
I've heard the Long Beach police are doing 'zero tolerance' enforcement around car meets.
We've had a few street takeovers recently, and that's how they're addressing it.
Yeah I haven't actually been to any meets in Long Beach, that was my first typically I go to meets over in the Anaheim area, either thebigbangmeets, SocalBangers, Secret Nightz and they're always hosting in Anaheim/LA only reason we were in LB was because it was for Formula Drift week/weekend

BrandonB

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport Hatch
Country flag
Since we're on the topic I was on my way to a car meet the other night, the location was in front of a grocery store. I guess the police caught wind of what was happening and the place was full of them. Long story short, I ended up getting a ticket for having no front plate and no proof of insurance (I had insurance at the time) any advice for that?

In my state/county when you show up to court and present the valid proof of insurance that shows you indeed had it during that traffic stop the charges for that offense are dropped.

Last edited:

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Some states allow you to take a driver improvement course to avoid points on your license and a report to the insurance company. The upfront costs will save you on insurance costs later.

Other than that, your next options are to fight the ticket in court...challenge the calibration of the radar, the training of the officer, look for any plausible deniability. Remember, you have to be proven guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt. If the cop doesn't show up, by default you'll win.

zacwel

First Name
Zaccari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
OP I'm in Hamburg and have a good amount of tickets lol but its been a while

I would say 90% of speeding tickets are knocked down to a parking ticket or two and ~$250 (bc then the money stays in the local municipality and not going to the state), no points. It's usually plead down though so idk how thats working now that traffic tickets are taken care of via snail mail.

On a rare occasion, theyll make you take the driver course. But once you take that course, you'll get a certification that you can send to your insurance and get 10% off or something like that.

Good luck, hoping you get off!

Z

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
Some states allow you to take a driver improvement course to avoid points on your license and a report to the insurance company. The upfront costs will save you on insurance costs later.
I did that for my first ticket 20 years ago. If that's an option I'll do it again.

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP I'm in Hamburg and have a good amount of tickets lol but its been a while

I would say 90% of speeding tickets are knocked down to a parking ticket or two and ~$250 (bc then the money stays in the local municipality and not going to the state), no points. It's usually plead down though so idk how thats working now that traffic tickets are taken care of via snail mail.

On a rare occasion, theyll make you take the driver course. But once you take that course, you'll get a c

Good luck, hoping you get off!

Z
Plead not guilty, and have your day in court.

On the day you arrive in court, they will most likely, if not always reduce the ticket to a lesser non-moving violation, which means no points off your drivers license. Pay the reduced fine and go about your merry way.

I have had two tickets from the State of New York (Westchester County) within the last 2-3 years, and the above is how it went down for everyone on court day.
Does anyone have an opinion on pleading in person vs pleading by mail?

OP
OP

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your conversation with the cop can have a large impact on the success of your court case, or lack of it,

What did he say to you? What were your responses?
It was pleasant and quick. I expressed surprise at how far I was clocked (because I was) but there was nothing aggressive or acrimonious at her end or at mine.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Based on my experience (post #12) and the likelyhood that the ticketing officer won't be there - In person is highly suggested

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Only speeding ticket I have ever received (by some miracle) was passing through upstate NY. It's essentially a money grab for some of these smaller towns. Funny thing is it was probably the slowest I drove us from our trip back from Toronto yet he conveniently wrote 21 over, which made it a major violation.

Paid a local lawyer like $300 and he took care of it. Called me while I was on a beach in Greece to tell me it's all set, felt like Gordon Gecko minus the brick phone 😂 had to do this joke 30 minute online "retraining course" and pay, saved me like 8 insurance points on my spotless record.

Side note: be careful in places like Vermont! Same trip, I was flying through there doing like 120. Supposedly 20 over gets you arrested for wreckless driving.......only found out after.

Just put the cruise on when driving on NY highways, it's not worth the hassle. For now, I'd pay the lawyer and save the points.

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Get a Uniden R7 or the newly released R8.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Does anyone have an opinion on pleading in person vs pleading by mail?
Plead by mail. No need to waste your time going in person to plead. Your court date will most likely be months, even a year later depending how far backed up the town is for handling traffic cases.
Sponsored