A/C help

Silverocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
With the warm weather kicking back in, I'm running back into my same AC problem....basically runs fine (cold) until I'm stopped or in heavy traffic/driving very slow, then starts blowing disgusting muggy air. The problem is the car needs to be driven for a while before it will start blowing the warm air at stop/rest.... so the techs will not ever reproduce this problem unless they actually drive the car for 15-20 mins prior to testing.... pretty infuriating because I love the car.
Sponsored

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the warm weather kicking back in, I'm running back into my same AC problem....basically runs fine (cold) until I'm stopped or in heavy traffic/driving very slow, then starts blowing disgusting muggy air. The problem is the car needs to be driven for a while before it will start blowing the warm air at stop/rest.... so the techs will not ever reproduce this problem unless they actually drive the car for 15-20 mins prior to testing.... pretty infuriating because I love the car.
I had this same issue on my 2007 Civic that just sold last month. I had been trying to figure the issue out for months and took it to my mechanic but he coudln't reproduce the issue. Finally, it started happening again while I was driving and I called him up and told him I would stop by. He put a temperature gauge in the vent and saw the temps go up. Popped open the hood and right there and then he saw the AC compressor not powering up. Hitting it hard with the rod turned it back on.

If the car is running cool in the mornings and at night but starting to shoot out warm air 15-20 minutes later during the day, sounds like a compressor issue. Once the issue pops up again, call them up and tell them you are heading over there. Whatever you do, don't turn off the car.

Silverocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
He put a temperature gauge in the vent and saw the temps go up. Popped open the hood and right there and then he saw the AC compressor not powering up. Hitting it hard with the rod turned it back on.
Thanks for the info...can you explain what you mean "hitting it hard with the rod"? Literally whacking it? Doesn't sound very technical, wondering what exactly I should say to Honda here...thanks.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He took a physical metal rod and hit the AC Compressor and it powered back on. I then went inside my car and the temperature gauge dropped from 95 degrees to 55 degrees. The AC Compression was failing and he couldn't find the issue before because every time I brought it in it was working fine. I had read about others having similar issues with the 8th generation civic and them doing the same thing to test if it was the compressor. Once I saw this done the issue was identified.

Wasn't worth spending the $750 to fix the compressor on a 10 year old car that was only worth $3,500 max. I ended up selling the car to my friend and purchasing the car I now have.

Since you car is under warranty I would keep pushing that they find it.

Silverocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
He took a physical metal rod and hit the AC Compressor and it powered back on. I then went inside my car and the temperature gauge dropped from 95 degrees to 55 degrees. The AC Compression was failing and he couldn't find the issue before because every time I brought it in it was working fine. I had read about others having similar issues with the 8th generation civic and them doing the same thing to test if it was the compressor. Once I saw this done the issue was identified.

Wasn't worth spending the $750 to fix the compressor on a 10 year old car that was only worth $3,500 max. I ended up selling the car to my friend and purchasing the car I now have.

Since you car is under warranty I would keep pushing that they find it.
Thanks bud... will try to bring this up

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're welcome please let me know how it works out, since I am very interested to find out the solution.

osoft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We need to make sure everyone contacts American Honda about the issue since there are so many of us out there. I still say it's not an a/c system issue but a sensor and/or computer issue.
Agree.
I have had multiple issues with my A/C already. When I received the car from dealer, no A/C! Replaced an "O" ring. Last month, it started to take really long time before blowing cool air. Replaced a leaking hose. Last week, I found that the car only activates A/C when the car is cool. And it only stays on for about 1 minute.
I was stuck in traffic yesterday for about half an hour and hot air blowing the whole time!

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Agree.
I have had multiple issues with my A/C already. When I received the car from dealer, no A/C! Replaced an "O" ring. Last month, it started to take really long time before blowing cool air. Replaced a leaking hose. Last week, I found that the car only activates A/C when the car is cool. And it only stays on for about 1 minute.
I was stuck in traffic yesterday for about half an hour and hot air blowing the whole time!

I had exactly the same issue in an old BMW. The root cause - the system was overcharged with refrigerant. (Mistake made by me!). Perhaps you should check your system's charge (volume of refrigerant) to ensure it's correct?

osoft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had exactly the same issue in an old BMW. The root cause - the system was overcharged with refrigerant. (Mistake made by me!). Perhaps you should check your system's charge (volume of refrigerant) to ensure it's correct?
I took my car to the dealer last week. And yes, that was exactly the cause.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having A/C issue where it blows hot air even when set on "lo" after driving around. Then it randomly gets cold and then hot again. I had this issue on my 8th gen and the compressor was bad. Taking it in this week

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having A/C issue where it blows hot air even when set on "lo" after driving around. Then it randomly gets cold and then hot again. I had this issue on my 8th gen and the compressor was bad. Taking it in this week
Was the A/C running cold during the morning and at night but hot during the day?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was the A/C running cold during the morning and at night but hot during the day?
yep, if the weather outside was nice or cool, perfect, once the day warms up, hot, unless I would do a quick acceleration, then sometimes it would get super cold right after I let off, then slowly start to blow warm air

Silverocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
yep, if the weather outside was nice or cool, perfect, once the day warms up, hot, unless I would do a quick acceleration, then sometimes it would get super cold right after I let off, then slowly start to blow warm air
Same problem here... car is back in shop for 3rd time now. I have purchased a thermometer and have started pulling over and recording video of when the problem occurs. It really pisses me off, Honda seems to have no idea what the problem is.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup same issue on my 8th generation, it was also the compressor. I went and got the 2016 Civic and so far I haven't had this issue.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same problem here... car is back in shop for 3rd time now. I have purchased a thermometer and have started pulling over and recording video of when the problem occurs. It really pisses me off, Honda seems to have no idea what the problem is.
This bad boy is going to be a fixture in my car for the next few days until i have enough data before my appointment

Honda Civic 10th gen A/C help IMG_2942.JPG
Sponsored