panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
Also, my take on upgrading the charge pipes...

If the money's not an issue, go for it. There's no major drawback. But, if it was me, and I'm on the stock turbo, I'd spend my mod money on something else. In other words, it's not a "must do" mod with your setup.
What would you do then? Keep in mind I'm an OEM+ mentality guy like you (OK maybe ++ 😅). Already got excellent tires, lightweight wheels, OEM+ brakes, sway bars+rigid collars, FSTB (wouldn't like any more frame stiffness), about to get SI springs cause I just want 1cm lower & a tad stiffer in the rear to maybe get better traction.. So I am currently debating on intercooler pipes&27won tip OR an SI turbo&a new custom tune. I'm a bit afraid of the 2nd choice that'll get me to ~250-260whp as that's probably really close to the limit...
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'd do the 27Won intake. Your SRI is heat soaking at idle nearly as much, or more, than the stock airbox.

I know your "theory" on lack of airflow but as Rob said, there's plenty when you're on the move.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd do the 27Won intake. Your SRI is heat soaking at idle nearly as much, or more, than the stock airbox.

I know your "theory" on lack of airflow but as Rob said, there's plenty when you're on the move.
Naah, I don't like that idea at all.. Not really any gains from that, if any, + I am custom tuned so that will mean I'm throwing away 350€ that I paid for the tune and will need a new one. So we're talking ~800€ to MAYBE get a few Celcious lower..

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have checked that sticker more than once, looking for my paint color code & I cannot understand how I didn't see that.. Yep, it's a BB engine.. @Hondanickx you have the same one, right? Any info on our rods?
IMG_20240329_091034.jpg
Yes I have the same engine also BB .As far as I have found they use the weaker rods ,same as in the hatchbacks. Only US made sedans have the Si rods.

As far as air flow and engine Temps etc .
A few years ago I measured under hood Temps in the summer when it was 30°C outside .I measured it around the maf sensor area and Temps got up to 70 degree C . I'm pretty sure the maf sensor gets heat soaked ,but I haven't proved it yet.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With Honda, you can never assume.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weaker rods would make sense, guess the only way to get the better rods over here would be a CRV L15BY. They come with a higher 190bhp output from the factory so I would assume they use the bigger rods?
Yeah you can always buy the SI rods from the US and import them.But the crv uses the same ones.
IMO it's not worth all the work to swap those rods in for something that is only a little bit better.Better off just putting in aftermarket rods or if a engine replacement is necessary swap in a crv block.

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes I have the same engine also BB .As far as I have found they use the weaker rods ,same as in the hatchbacks. Only US made sedans have the Si rods.

As far as air flow and engine Temps etc .
A few years ago I measured under hood Temps in the summer when it was 30°C outside .I measured it around the maf sensor area and Temps got up to 70 degree C . I'm pretty sure the maf sensor gets heat soaked ,but I haven't proved it yet.
Are you sure about that? Like have you actually seen that rod code? That's not the news i hoped for...
Yeah you can always buy the SI rods from the US and import them.But the crv uses the same ones.
IMO it's not worth all the work to swap those rods in for something that is only a little bit better.Better off just putting in aftermarket rods or if a engine replacement is necessary swap in a crv block.
It's not like i'm about to get forged internals.. Like i mentioned in my initial post, i would probably do that if my engine blows. And yes i agree with you; if that time comes i'll go aftermarket..

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Yeah you can always buy the SI rods from the US and import them.But the crv uses the same ones. IMO it's not worth all the work to swap those rods in for something that is only a little bit better.Better off just putting in aftermarket rods or if a engine replacement is necessary swap in a crv block.
Oh absolutely, I'm just thinking about if I absolutely wreck the engine and need a replacement. Ideally I'll get all new internals as OP is talking about.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you sure about that? Like have you actually seen that rod code? That's not the news i hoped for...

It's not like i'm about to get forged internals.. Like i mentioned in my initial post, i would probably do that if my engine blows. And yes i agree with you; if that time comes i'll go aftermarket..
I havent seen the rod code no.But it would make sense that honda US used what was avaliable in their country then to order/import rods from outside the US.Same thing with the European Sedans being build in turkey .
Wouldn't make sence for them to import the Si rods when they have regular hatch rods in europe.
Unless the engines are actually build in the USA ,then there would be a chance they have si rods,but I highly doubt that.

Its the same with brake calipers why does the US Market uses different brand brakes vs europe vs Japan.They all use what's easy available in their region.Europe uses ATE ,Japan akebono and The USA Nissin.

Enzym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport CVT Polished Metal Metallic
Country flag
I have checked that sticker more than once, looking for my paint color code & I cannot understand how I didn't see that.. Yep, it's a BB engine.. @Hondanickx you have the same one, right? Any info on our rods?
IMG_20240329_091034.jpg
Where u can see this sticker on the car?

OP
OP
panas

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I havent seen the rod code no.But it would make sense that honda US used what was avaliable in their country then to order/import rods from outside the US.Same thing with the European Sedans being build in turkey .
Wouldn't make sence for them to import the Si rods when they have regular hatch rods in europe.
Unless the engines are actually build in the USA ,then there would be a chance they have si rods,but I highly doubt that.

Its the same with brake calipers why does the US Market uses different brand brakes vs europe vs Japan.They all use what's easy available in their region.Europe uses ATE ,Japan akebono and The USA Nissin.
But if I'm not mistaken European CRVs (some at least) are also made in the UK. Meaning those rods are easily available in Europe and bottom line we don't know..
Sponsored