255/40/18 Rubbing over Bumps

DT27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Hey, I read several different posts on here about the correct sizes of wheels and tires to use so there's no rubbing while going over bumps, but it seems my experience is different. I bought the Enkei TS-5 18x9.5 +45 with 255/40/18 tires and I'm rubbing on the fender while going over bumps in the road. Does anyone know why my experience is different than others with the same wheel/tire combo? Would it have to be something wrong with my suspension(stock) components since it seems nobody else is having this issue? I'm debating on rolling the fenders but am hesitant. I've pulled the tabs back and drove in all 3 driving modes. Also, it's rubbing with just myself in the car. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DT27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Double check the tire size, and what brand/model of tire?
They're Falken Ziex ZE960 255/40/18 All Season tires. When I compare the specific specs to other tires people are running on Fitment Industries, pretty much everything lines up.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Very possible those tires run a little wide. Are you running stock alignment? Are you rubbing only in the front? Might consider running a some camber.

I ran 265/35/18 Falken 615k+ on 18x9.5 +45, lowered running -2.5 in the front. I switched to Hankook RS4s and started rubbing in the front and had to bend the tabs back. So tires made the difference in my case.

fk8ski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' CBP FK8
Country flag
You sure theres no spacer stuck on the back of the wheel? Was the car in an accident? Not many people run all season tires and even less run the 40% sidewall on a 255. If u get 35 sidewalls on pretty much any other tire i think youll have plenty of space left in there.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That combo is ever so slightly taller than stock. That isn't an issue. Now it does poke out 1.1 inches further than stock which could potentially be an issue lowered but at stock height should actually be fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/40/18 Rubbing over Bumps Screenshot 2024-04-19 203855

OP
OP

DT27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
You sure theres no spacer stuck on the back of the wheel? Was the car in an accident? Not many people run all season tires and even less run the 40% sidewall on a 255. If u get 35 sidewalls on pretty much any other tire i think youll have plenty of space left in there.
Thank you for pointing out spacers! The previous owner installed spacers and I didn’t know since I bought the car from a dealership last February. After you mentioned them, I looked at the picture I took before putting the new wheels on and there were spacers clear as day. Can’t believe I overlooked it but makes sense why I’m the only person having this issue with this wheel/tire combo.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Beautiful. Happy you found the issue. I'm running 255/35/19 which is the same size as your 255/40/18, so I was perplexed.
Sponsored