First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there anything mechanically different or is it just the tune? I would love to have the extra 31HP using stock parts.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo is slightly different. 9 vs 11 vain. Stronger rods on si.
Plus the Si tune has higher level of boost and 91 octane required.

Hey OP, did you know you can add those 30hp you want with a tuning device like KTuner or Hondata Flashpro? While my 21psi EX-L sedan with the Ktuner tune can't keep up with a stock Si in the twisties, I can outrun one on the highway and 0-60. :)

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Plus the Si tune has higher level of boost and 91 octane required.

Hey OP, did you know you can add those 30hp you want with a tuning device like KTuner or Hondata Flashpro? While my 21psi EX-L sedan with the Ktuner tune can't keep up with a stock Si in the twisties, I can outrun one on the highway and 0-60. :)
91 isn’t required, but premium recommended

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si also has a lower compression ratio. Different exhaust. Different intake. The aforementioned rods and turbo being different. Most boost pressure. Probably different timing. Premium fuel recommendation that I only think it and the Sport has.

With more boost you can make any non-Si match the Si's power level and far exceed it's stock midrange torque. The Si is better suited to make a bit more power up top where the 11 vane turbo chokes out... has the lower compression ratio to prevent knock, has the stronger rods to hold it together and the intake and exhaust likely provide marginal improvements as well.

So to the point...
I would love to have the extra 31HP using stock parts.
...get a Ktuner/Hondata tuner and flash a 21/+6 or 23/+9 basemap at your own risk/joy. You need nothing else to reach Si power levels.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
So tuning a non SI with stock internals :hmm: whats the risk to the rods and therfore the rest of the engine would be my concern if tuned SI power level. My Euro Civic is rated at 182bhp, not sure what a safe level would be in my case

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So tuning a non SI with stock internals :hmm: whats the risk to the rods and therfore the rest of the engine would be my concern if tuned SI power level. My Euro Civic is rated at 182bhp, not sure what a safe level would be in my case
I been running ktuner 21 psi for a year now with no problems

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Same as my euro sedan 1.5T .There are allready many running more then 200hp for several years without issues.The torque is where you want to limit it . You're allready limited with torque with a stock clutch to aprox. 300-350nm and 200-220hp .If TDI North is anywhere near you i would go with them ,they are the best tuners around .

OP
OP
Dan from Austin
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Turbo is slightly different. 9 vs 11 vain. Stronger rods on si.
The Si also has a lower compression ratio. Different exhaust. Different intake. The aforementioned rods and turbo being different. Most boost pressure. Probably different timing. Premium fuel recommendation that I only think it and the Sport has.

With more boost you can make any non-Si match the Si's power level and far exceed it's stock midrange torque. The Si is better suited to make a bit more power up top where the 11 vane turbo chokes out... has the lower compression ratio to prevent knock, has the stronger rods to hold it together and the intake and exhaust likely provide marginal improvements as well. ...get a Ktuner/Hondata tuner and flash a 21/+6 or 23/+9 basemap at your own risk/joy. You need nothing else to reach Si power levels.
I figured it would be a little more complicated than a simple tune. Thanks for the verification. Any idea on the HP/Torque ratings for the CVT?

I'm pretty sure a tune would void all warranties so I'll probably have to wait another 59,000 miles.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I figured it would be a little more complicated than a simple tune. Thanks for the verification. Any idea on the HP/Torque ratings for the CVT?

I'm pretty sure a tune would void all warranties so I'll probably have to wait another 59,000 miles.
When keeping with the Base Tunes available from both KTuner / Hondata, you will be fine with what the L15B7 engine and transmission can handle.
If you just stick to changing up the "Quick Adjustments" for Throttle/Turbo Responsiveness, Spool, and Ramp Rate - you will be yet all the more just fine.
If you mess with any of the tables or if by unfortunate choice use an intake that disrupts the fuel trims (investigate this model, I won't mention it here) you would have problems.

Other than that, drop in a higher flow filter into the stock air box, get the software of your liking, apply your tune and Quick Adjustment settings, test the feel of those tune settings and adjust according to your liking (self discovery), and roll.
Conduct oil and transmission fluid changes a bit more frequently than normal and use the recommended fuel (as per the tuner).
Zoooom.....

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

You're overthinking it. Get a tuner. Apply a tune and enjoy your new power. It's honestly as simple as that. My EX-L runs a 5.7 second 0-60 with no performance mods beyond an AEM Dryflow filter and Mishimoto silicone intake hose.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, adding boost will make more torque and with it, more power. As to the CVT, there was already a few posts. I'll just share this video Hondata provided about the CVT. CVT equipped cars may not have access to a +9/23# basemap from a correction that got brought up. @gtman is a CVT owner and much of what I know about their tuning is from some if his threads. Here's that Hondata video...

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
While my 21psi EX-L sedan with the Ktuner tune can't keep up with a stock Si in the twisties, I can outrun one on the highway and 0-60. :)
Probably not, at best it's a tie, at worst you still lose.
Sponsored