WARNING: Door sill won't support any weight

oldjackbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I want to post this as a warning to everyone: The front door sill sheet metal on the 2016 Civic is extremely thin, and apparently isn't capable of supporting ANY weight at all.

Here are some pictures of a dent in my front passenger door sill after I made the mistake of simply propping my foot up on it to take off my bicycling shoes after a mountain bike ride.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B77dlHbMDWmJQWVFdjRWc3BTTHM&usp=sharing

I've included my biking shoe in the pictures - I've arranged the shoe in the pictures so that the dent in the door sill is directly adjacent to the heel of the shoe. The dent is the crescent-shaped indentation in the sheet metal of the sill, and matches the shape of the rear contour of the heel on the shoe. The soles on those are made of hard plastic and are stiff, so the thin sheet metal of the door sill will show the profile of the contours of the heel when the shoe is pressed into it.

I also included a picture of me sitting in the passenger seat in the exact same position I was in when the dent occurred (I don't have my shoe on in the picture because I don't want any further damage to the car). As you can clearly see, I'm not a big guy so there's not much load on that foot, it's just that all of the load was concentrated on the heel of my shoe, and the sheet metal just couldn't support that much weight.

Just wanted to give y'all a heads up.

I've done a quick Google search for 2016 Civic door sill protectors and didn't find anything available yet, but it's my plan to install some of those when they become available.

Carry on.
Sponsored

buggzy

2017 civic hatchback sport with cvt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 civic ex-l and 2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to post this as a warning to everyone: The front door sill sheet metal on the 2016 Civic is extremely thin, and apparently isn't capable of supporting ANY weight at all.

Here are some pictures of a dent in my front passenger door sill after I made the mistake of simply propping my foot up on it to take off my bicycling shoes after a mountain bike ride.

I've included my biking shoe in the pictures - I've arranged the shoe in the pictures so that the dent in the door sill is directly adjacent to the heel of the shoe. The dent is the crescent-shaped indentation in the sheet metal of the sill, and matches the shape of the rear contour of the heel on the shoe. The soles on those are made of hard plastic and are stiff, so the thin sheet metal of the door sill will show the profile of the contours of the heel when the shoe is pressed into it.

I also included a picture of me sitting in the passenger seat in the exact same position I was in when the dent occurred (I don't have my shoe on in the picture because I don't want any further damage to the car). As you can clearly see, I'm not a big guy so there's not much load on that foot, it's just that all of the load was concentrated on the heel of my shoe, and the sheet metal just couldn't support that much weight.

I've done a quick Google search for 2016 Civic door sill protectors and didn't find anything available yet, but it's my plan to install some of those when they become available.

Carry on.

check on ebay, theres a few mode;s available for the 2016 civic, i ordered mine already and got them installed.

goodra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
thanks for the heads-up, i'll order a sill protector now.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A metal door sill of slight thickness would remedy this by evenly distributing weight across the sill. Look at the ASEAN (Thai) metal door sills.. They would probably help a lot here.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like I'll be ordering some door sill protectors.

My4thH0nda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag

Carry on.
I can personally vouch that the sill on my 2016 CIVIC LX can hold my 50 pound 1st grader.
Sponsored