Took delivery of a car with damage

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
It wasnt a HUGE deal but I noticed once I got home that my wheel had curb damage and the tire (near the rim) was peeled/sliced off by said curb. I didnt do it. I HAVE hit curbs before during parallel parking (I didnt parallel park this car yet) and by hitting curbs while turning and that is a pretty jarring experience.

I have pictures of it on my phone from the day I got home with a time/date stamp that matches when I would have gotten home from the dealership.

The other issue is that the inside of my drivers side rear window is scratched. It looks like when they took the window sticker off with a knife they cut into the glass. How the hell would that happen? Could there be something inside the assembly that did it? It looks like part of the scratch is horizontal and the rest is diagonal up and there are two more smaller ones in the same area. There is no way I did this.. I just noticed it yesterday and the car has barely 150 miles on it and ive had it exactly one week now. Also part of the door card plastic at the top closest to the window has a cut on it too in the same area.

It makes me sick I have to take a brand new car in for this, but I should have noticed it all before we left the dealership but after 7 hours I was ready to go home.

Anyone else experienced a window scratched on the inside?
Sponsored

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
It wasnt a HUGE deal but I noticed once I got home that my wheel had curb damage and the tire (near the rim) was peeled/sliced off by said curb. I didnt do it. I HAVE hit curbs before during parallel parking (I didnt parallel park this car yet) and by hitting curbs while turning and that is a pretty jarring experience.

I have pictures of it on my phone from the day I got home with a time/date stamp that matches when I would have gotten home from the dealership.

The other issue is that the inside of my drivers side rear window is scratched. It looks like when they took the window sticker off with a knife they cut into the glass. How the hell would that happen? Could there be something inside the assembly that did it? It looks like part of the scratch is horizontal and the rest is diagonal up and there are two more smaller ones in the same area. There is no way I did this.. I just noticed it yesterday and the car has barely 150 miles on it and ive had it exactly one week now. Also part of the door card plastic at the top closest to the window has a cut on it too in the same area.

It makes me sick I have to take a brand new car in for this, but I should have noticed it all before we left the dealership but after 7 hours I was ready to go home.

Anyone else experienced a window scratched on the inside?
There's just no way to see all the little boo-boos until you get it home and really, really look closely. Best way I've found is to hand wash straight away, and then decide if it's worth having it fixed. Doesn't cost you anything to ask them.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
There's just no way to see all the little boo-boos until you get it home and really, really look closely. Best way I've found is to hand wash straight away, and then decide if it's worth having it fixed. Doesn't cost you anything to ask them.
I am going to see what they will do next week. There are two more scratches like this up the window slightly. Its very visible in the sunlight and looks like someone put on a light tint with bubbles in it. I was hoping it was left over glue but goo-gone didnt do anything. I definitely feels like a scratch. This bothers me more than the curbed wheel to be honest.

Honda Civic 10th gen Took delivery of a car with damage h50eGYn

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I am going to see what they will do next week. There are two more scratches like this up the window slightly. Its very visible in the sunlight and looks like someone put on a light tint with bubbles in it. I was hoping it was left over glue but goo-gone didnt do anything. I definitely feels like a scratch. This bothers me more than the curbed wheel to be honest.

h50eGYn.jpg

Lol. When I read your post it was like deja vu. I didn't have the wheel, but my civic had the cuts on the glass EXACTLY like yours. What they did on mine is used a blade to remove the price paper on the rear and they went to hard and sliced it up. I had multiple thin cuts, but I did have one deep gouge like yours. I saw it when the light hit it at a certain angle. Mine I noticed after about 1 week or so. I went back to them and POLITELY explained what happened and that I wanted it fixed.

The only way to fix what you are showing is to replace the glass. They ordered me a new window and replaced it at no cost. I also had them give me a free rental the day I dropped it off as well. When you are showing it to them, you can explain that those scratches are no where else except that specific window.

Also don't bother having it buffed or polished or whatever. The glass is tempered and if you thin it out, you are gonna jack up the tempered glass. The only fix is to replace it plus you cannot buff glass scratches if your nail catches which it probably does.

Next car I buy I will tell them once I agree to buy it to just give me the keys and leave it. I'll "detail" it myself. Your glass got straight up bladed. The dealer should make it right though and just replace the window.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Lol. When I read your post it was like deja vu. I didn't have the wheel, but my civic had the cuts on the glass EXACTLY like yours. What they did on mine is used a blade to remove the price paper on the rear and they went to hard and sliced it up. I had multiple thin cuts, but I did have one deep gouge like yours. I saw it when the light hit it at a certain angle. Mine I noticed after about 1 week or so. I went back to them and POLITELY explained what happened and that I wanted it fixed.

The only way to fix what you are showing is to replace the glass. They ordered me a new window and replaced it at no cost. I also had them give me a free rental the day I dropped it off as well. When you are showing it to them, you can explain that those scratches are no where else except that specific window.

Also don't bother having it buffed or polished or whatever. The glass is tempered and if you thin it out, you are gonna jack up the tempered glass. The only fix is to replace it plus you cannot buff glass scratches if your nail catches which it probably does.

Next car I buy I will tell them once I agree to buy it to just give me the keys and leave it. I'll "detail" it myself. Your glass got straight up bladed. The dealer should make it right though and just replace the window.
That is crazy that they'd do this to someone else as well. I wasnt sure if it was done that way when the paper was removed or if some metal in the door scratched it. There is also pieces of paper at the bottom of the window - reminants of the sticker. My nail does catch on the window. What kind of knife did they use to remove a sticker??? lol.

Unbelievable. I dont remember ever bringing home a new car and finding stuff like this on it. But I do have a friend that got a brand new STi and had them replace all 4 of his wheels since the detail guy ruined the finish with some kind of spray.

I did tell my sales person since it was like this when I bought it - I could have taken it to the service department but then what would they do other than charge me to fix something that was like this when I bought it. I wasnt too worried about the wheel but since I am taking it back for them to look at the window ill have them get me a new wheel and tire at the same time.

I appreciate your input.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
That is crazy that they'd do this to someone else as well. I wasnt sure if it was done that way when the paper was removed or if some metal in the door scratched it. There is also pieces of paper at the bottom of the window - reminants of the sticker. My nail does catch on the window. What kind of knife did they use to remove a sticker??? lol.

Unbelievable. I dont remember ever bringing home a new car and finding stuff like this on it. But I do have a friend that got a brand new STi and had them replace all 4 of his wheels since the detail guy ruined the finish with some kind of spray.

I did tell my sales person since it was like this when I bought it - I could have taken it to the service department but then what would they do other than charge me to fix something that was like this when I bought it. I wasnt too worried about the wheel but since I am taking it back for them to look at the window ill have them get me a new wheel and tire at the same time.

I appreciate your input.
Let us know what happens. At the end of the day the price you paid was for a new Civic, not a new Civic with cut window and etched wheels.

I agree with the wheels, at some point sooner or later they will sustain some type of wear long term. My old car had over 100k miles and I never curbed my wheels, but obviously over time there was wear and tear from driving, putting new tires (shop), etc.

The window thing though just bothered me. It was a deep enough gouge and I'm one of those kinds of people who would always look at it and it would irritate me for the entire life of the car. I'm sure I'm not the only one like that. It was something that was done due to a person's actions and the car was new as well

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Let us know what happens. At the end of the day the price you paid was for a new Civic, not a new Civic with cut window and etched wheels.

I agree with the wheels, at some point sooner or later they will sustain some type of wear long term. My old car had over 100k miles and I never curbed my wheels, but obviously over time there was wear and tear from driving, putting new tires (shop), etc.

The window thing though just bothered me. It was a deep enough gouge and I'm one of those kinds of people who would always look at it and it would irritate me for the entire life of the car. I'm sure I'm not the only one like that. It was something that was done due to a person's actions and the car was new as well
Exactly, I feel like I am not asking for anything crazy...hopefully they'll see it the same way I do that its new and should be new, not jacked up.

When I had an s2000 I managed to get curb rash on every single wheel. I never once parallel parked that car or parked next to a curb. I never knew how I did that.. But at some point stuff happens and it usually happens to my wheels.

Did they have to order your window or did they have it there? Also did you deal with sales or talk to someone in service when you had your issue?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Exactly, I feel like I am not asking for anything crazy...hopefully they'll see it the same way I do that its new and should be new, not jacked up.

When I had an s2000 I managed to get curb rash on every single wheel. I never once parallel parked that car or parked next to a curb. I never knew how I did that.. But at some point stuff happens and it usually happens to my wheels.

Did they have to order your window or did they have it there? Also did you deal with sales or talk to someone in service when you had your issue?

Yeah over time wheels just get jacked up. They are on the exterior and sit on the road, mine had a good amount of external cuts, small chips, etc over the course of 100,000 miles. Unavoidable unless you have a separate set of rims.

Regarding the window, mine happened over 1 year ago so the car was still fairly new, the current model started selling only late 2015. For my window it had to be ordered and it took probably 2-3 weeks if I recall correctly. The dealer I went to is a very large dealer and they did not have it in stock. Possibly they may have now that it's been out for awhile. If not then it will need to be ordered. Mine was ordered.

For the window, talk to the service manager directly or dealership manger. Don't talk to the associates. I've found if you want anything done you need to talk directly to the manager. What happens if you talk to a low level employee, they will pass the message anyways to the manager and the translation gets lost. Just talk directly to the manager. In my case, I contacted directly the general manager of the dealership who passed me to the service manager.

Either way, I'd talk only to the manager not an associate. Also, when you are speak don't speak in a passive way.

Example:

Passive: "Uh, I bought a car here and after a few days I saw some damage on the wheel and window. Is there something you can maybe do about it ?"

Assertive: "I recently purchased a Civic here. Great vehicle, however; I noticed some damage on one of the windows. It has been cut during the prep process. Also, one of my wheels had some slight chipping as well. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to have the window replaced as the car is brand new. Why don't we take a look at the current schedule and see when a good time is to get that taken care of ?"

There's 2 examples. One is passive and somewhat begs for help. The other acknowledges it and is direct in the resolution. Also tell them "it's no big deal, but......." that way they are not put on the defensive and angry. I did the second approach and got it taken care of fast with no hard feelings. In fact I still go there for period work without any issue.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
By the way, this is a side note, but I'll mention it anyways:

If you are not looking to get your windows tinted, then ignore this.

If you are going to get your windows tinted, before you get them done call the place and ask how they cut the tint. Tint is either cut on the car (traced), or a computer is used from a template. This Pilkington glass is very soft, many members have mentioned easily cracked/chipped glass. As you can tell obviously from the scratch from a razor blade removing the adhesive it got cut up. My windshield is full of pits and already had them within 500 miles. Anyways, if they cut on your windows to fit it, I'd be cautious. This glass damages easy and it may if they trace it. I don't have window tint myself, but if I did get it I'd go to a place here that uses a computer, I wouldn't get it traced as I've had several cars damaged from it (cut glass, molding, etc).

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I talked to my sales person yesterday before you had posted about taking it into service - she said to bring it in while sales was there.

So after reading your message about being assertive, I went ahead and emailed the general manager. I DID want to do this anyways to thank my sales rep, it was a night and day difference from when I bought my Focus ST and Fiesta ST. So I wanted him to know that and to let him know about the problem as well. And he said the same thing, to have a sales manager look at the car.

I reached out to Honda Customer service and they said the sales manager should see it because it happened during the delivery. I guess that makes sense.. we'll see on Wednesday!

Interesting about the window tint.. Ill definitely keep that in mind if I get that done.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Long story short my Honda dealership is going to replace the wheel/tire combo from what I understand (id be fine with just the wheel) and they are ordering a new window and weather strip to fix the blade damage. They didnt seem to put blame on myself so that was a relief.

They did say they would try to polish out the scratch first... I am ok with that as long as it looks factory and you cant tell it was done. Of course ill let them know that when we make the appointment just to reaffirm. I can also talk to Honda corporate but I felt like they will end up taking care of me.

Id own up to my own stupid mistakes, Lord knows I have made plenty with new cars.
On my less than a week old mazdaspeed3 I was going to see this girl and opened my door to access the keypad for their neighborhood to get in and smacked the plastic doorframe (black plastic like on the SI) on the metal box..lol.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Well that's good to hear about the damage. I think most respectable dealerships would address it, it's just hard to fathom how damage would occur on such a new car. Legally, once you sign the paperwork it's yours as it so what they do is on good faith. Good to hear things are sorted out. When I picked up my car, the molding was slight put in in correctly that I noticed when I first got it, but it wasn't a big deal and I fixed it myself. Other than that no other issues with the car.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Have to say that my dealership is awesome..

I dont know if they tried to polish the scratched window or not but they ended up replacing the window and that little strip inside the door that was cut as well. And I also got a new tire/wheel as well.

They did forget to look at the bumper not clipping in, but thats fine because I had the service advisor put a note in my file and I can either bring it back another day or just wait till I have the first oil change. He said he'd rehang the bumper which seems to be the normal fix from what Ive read (and replacing the clips along the headlight).
Sponsored