Stereo System

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree that the audio system is good for what it is. In my experience, Android Auto has some SQ/imaging issues when compared to BT, USB or CarPlay media. Not sure why.
Sponsored

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
I agree that the audio system is good for what it is. In my experience, Android Auto has some SQ/imaging issues when compared to BT, USB or CarPlay media. Not sure why.
It honestly blew my mind the first time I used AA and realized how fucking terrible it is.

I just BT Spotify and use the on board nav and only sometimes use AA for google maps.

mzubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda Pilot, 2006 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota Camry
Country flag
I wasnt too impressed when the car was brand new. But it seems to have gotten a lot better after a month or two. Especially the bass. Do speakers break in? I have my bass and subwoofer maxed.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
10 each set the difference is amazing.
I wasnt too impressed when the car was brand new. But it seems to have gotten a lot better after a month or two. Especially the bass. Do speakers break in? I have my bass and subwoofer maxed.
Yes speakers need to be broken in for the most part. Some more then other. Depends on the materials.

dredsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe , 2017 CRV Ex
Country flag
I worked in recording in NYC back in the day, have always had a home rec studio. Its a decent system. Its the last thing id upgrade, but with all the exciting mods for this car that should not surprise.

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
It's good enough, I'd consider upgrading it but these days I listen to podcasts like 90% of the time anyway. Don't need a huge sub for "From WBEZ in Chicago it's This American Life, I'm Ira Glass..."

woodysrounup

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 4dr
Country flag
I found that the stereo system of our SI is not too good.
Not sure if you guys have the same feelings.
Regardless of what some of the folks on here say, it is not a very good sound system though for the price I could probably agree that is should suffice. This is the third thread that I have seen someone that was in some form or another in the music industry to claim that it is a good system and that just blows my mind. The system itself has enough power through the factory amp to power everything to what you would want, but believe me when I say that even when maxed out the factory sub barely moves. Simply replace the speakers with aftermarket ones (the mids and highs are much cleaner), and have a self contained sub system installed in the trunk. By self-contained, I mean one of those subs that come in a box with the amp also in said box, and you are all set. $500-$700 depending on speaker brand is all you will need for everything. I have had these things installed and speak from experience that it is much more enjoyable and worth the money. Just be sure they don't try to touch the center speaker in the middle of the dash, as that is what relays the Apple Maps of Google Maps/ system instructions.

eusedhe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Regardless of what some of the folks on here say, it is not a very good sound system though for the price I could probably agree that is should suffice. This is the third thread that I have seen someone that was in some form or another in the music industry to claim that it is a good system and that just blows my mind. The system itself has enough power through the factory amp to power everything to what you would want, but believe me when I say that even when maxed out the factory sub barely moves. Simply replace the speakers with aftermarket ones (the mids and highs are much cleaner), and have a self contained sub system installed in the trunk. By self-contained, I mean one of those subs that come in a box with the amp also in said box, and you are all set. $500-$700 depending on speaker brand is all you will need for everything. I have had these things installed and speak from experience that it is much more enjoyable and worth the money. Just be sure they don't try to touch the center speaker in the middle of the dash, as that is what relays the Apple Maps of Google Maps/ system instructions.
Thanks for the info on the center speaker. I totally agree that while good, this system isn't so great. I began upgrading the front door speakers and am in the process of putting together a plan to round out the system.

Last edited:

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I believe what we have here is a difference of definition.

Good = Better than average "Above Average"

You also can't compare this system with any aftermarket system. Period. We all know the aftermarket stuff is better. Same with performance parts. It's like being disappointed with the HFP suspension upgrade when you're looking at an aftermarket upgrade. I come from the aftermarket car stereo world. I've stuffed walls into Caprice wagons and ripped apart brand new Benzes to stuff 1/4 of the cars cost in audio inside it. I've heard more OE systems than cars you'll pass on your way to work in the mornings. Is this the "end all, be all" car audio system? F no. Is this a damn good OE system that performs above what others with similar price tags do? Absolutely.

p.s. Go hop in a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that costs 40k with the right package mind you, and listen to the dog shit that is spewed from the Alpine system that is the factory upgrade package and then come tell us that this system doesn't bring a beyond fair value to the table while still sounding very good.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
While I'm not crazy about the functionality of the head unit, I think the factory stereo sounds FANTASTIC. This is the first car that I've bought in a long, long time that sounds that damn good... especially with the price point of the car. The stereo system is usually the first thing I replace when buying a new car but I have no plans to upgrade this one. maybe the head unit for functionality but the sub/amp/speakers all sound incredible. Try getting that kind of sound from another car that MSRP below $25k and I think you'd be hard-pressed to do so.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I wish for a feature to equalize the base. I listen to SXM exclusively and the base level differs from one channel to another. is there anything I can do?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I wish for a feature to equalize the base. I listen to SXM exclusively and the base level differs from one channel to another. is there anything I can do?
Most definitely. You can stop paying for that horrible-sounding SXM and start using one of the streaming services that offer much better sound quality for a lower price or free!

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
Now I understand why you think the system is so bad. SXM sounds like crap to begin with. Garbage in, garbage out. Try using another source like a good quality mp3 or even Spotify will sound way better.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
OK. I see.
Does this mean to stream using handset and cast the music to the car via Bluetooth? This means I have to use cellular data?
Sponsored