Spec Clutch Discussion

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Morning! It looks like plenty of people have ordered Spec clutches and have them already installed. I'd love to gather the opinions of these individuals on drivability, satisfaction, and any quirks/gripes with the performance. Please feel free to share your thoughts!
  • What Stage Clutch?
  • Aluminum or Steel flywheel?
  • Is your CDV in or out?
  • What is your realistic power goal?
Sponsored

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i wanna hear some feedback as well. im in desperate need of a new clutch

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Morning! It looks like plenty of people have ordered Spec clutches and have them already installed. I'd love to gather the opinions of these individuals on drivability, satisfaction, and any quirks/gripes with the performance. Please feel free to share your thoughts!
  • What Stage Clutch?
  • Aluminum or Steel flywheel?
  • Is your CDV in or out?
  • What is your realistic power goal?
Stage 2+
Steel
CDV In
Happy with TSP stage 2. W1 way down the road. Future power goals 330-340whp

No issues. It takes a little more effort to get the car to start smoothly from 1st, but it was expected.
EDIT: cannot speed shift at redline. Experiencing a 2 second “lockout”. Will remove CDV and update

Last edited:

Shiberu

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Stage 2+
Steel
CDV In
Happy with TSP stage 2. W1 way down the road. Future power goals 330-340whp

No issues. It takes a little more effort to get the car to start smoothly from 1st, but it was expected.
EDIT: cannot speed shift at redline. Experiencing a 2 second “lockout”. Will remove CDV and update
Anything on that update? I also have the lockout when speed shifting over 5k, but it’s more like 1 second. I have almost 1k miles on the clutch. spec stage 2+ steel flywheel

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anything on that update? I also have the lockout when speed shifting over 5k, but it’s more like 1 second. I have almost 1k miles on the clutch. spec stage 2+ steel flywheel
Update is:
CDV removed
PRL stainless braided clutch line installed
Acuity shifter cable bushings, centering spring, base bushings
Amsoil Syncromesh added

Still experiencing lockout, MAYBE 20% better. Other than that, the overall shifting and pedal feel has improved in all other areas.
I am trying to get a hold of "Eman" about his modded clutch master cylinder now.
@Two Step Performance any other suggestions? I feel as if SPEC Clutch should offer a partial refund for a faulty product honestly.

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update is:
CDV removed
PRL stainless braided clutch line installed
Amsoil Syncromesh added

Still experiencing lockout, MAYBE 10% better. Other than that, the overall shifting and pedal feel has improved in all other areas.
I am trying to get a hold of "Eman" about his modded clutch master cylinder now.
@Two Step Performance any other suggestions? I feel as if SPEC Clutch should offer a partial refund for a faulty product honestly.
I heard that Spec is releasing an update for this issue. Question though, have you upgraded your shifter with Acuity goodies? I drove a friend of mines with the Spec 2+ with steel flywheel. It seemed like the lockout was due to the sloppiness of the stock shifter and bushings.

Blitted_Master

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe (SOLD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been seeing a lot of threads where people are having various issues with the Spec clutches. Also, as I understand it, you need to change the flywheel to use a Spec clutch.

I went with a ClutchMasters rigid disc design.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I heard that Spec is releasing an update for this issue. Question though, have you upgraded your shifter with Acuity goodies? I drove a friend of mines with the Spec 2+ with steel flywheel. It seemed like the lockout was due to the sloppiness of the stock shifter and bushings.
What can they do for customers having problems with their original design though ? It’s only a few months since release

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a centering spring and base bushings yet to be installed. Can you find out which he is using ? Going to order emanns modified CMC too

Shiberu

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been seeing a lot of threads where people are having various issues with the Spec clutches. Also, as I understand it, you need to change the flywheel to use a Spec clutch.

I went with a ClutchMasters rigid disc design.
I bought the clutch and flywheel package. no issues with it other than the lockout. i just had mine put in 2 weeks ago and it’s well broken in by now.
i doubt bushings will help with the gear changes.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought the clutch and flywheel package. no issues with it other than the lockout. i just had mine put in 2 weeks ago and it’s well broken in by now.
i doubt bushings will help with the gear changes.
I’m thinking that too. I spoke to Eman briefly and he told me that he’s heard of the there being a pilot bearing issue with spec clutches. He thinks his CMC will help. If it doesn’t, then I’ll throw in the towel. Keep in mind the only way I can shift quickly is if I do a full throttle shift. Must be because the tune drops the rpm’s to 5000 preventing lockout. I just would never do it 1st-2nd as i feel it would put a lot of strain on the tranny

Shiberu

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m thinking that too. I spoke to Eman briefly and he told me that he’s heard of the there being a pilot bearing issue with spec clutches. He thinks his CMC will help. If it doesn’t, then I’ll throw in the towel. Keep in mind the only way I can shift quickly is if I do a full throttle shift. Must be because the tune drops the rpm’s to 5000 preventing lockout. I just would never do it 1st-2nd as i feel it would put a lot of strain on the tranny
I just heard that they may be releasing a master cylinder to fix this problem. i just drove around for a few hours and was seeing when the lockout would occur. i noticed that the rpms don’t drop fast enough as opposed to stock

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just heard that they may be releasing a master cylinder to fix this problem. i just drove around for a few hours and was seeing when the lockout would occur. i noticed that the rpms don’t drop fast enough as opposed to stock
Are you referring to the rpm's not dropping fast enough near 6500? Because they seem to drop faster everywhere else and shifting is fine otherwise.

Shiberu

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Are you referring to the rpm's not dropping fast enough near 6500? Because they seem to drop faster everywhere else and shifting is fine otherwise.
yeah, but maybe just because it’s not engaging into the next gear