Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix!

Pennywise

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks so much for this really helpful write up. I just stared hearing what sounds like the same noise (a metallic rattle). I first heard it when coming to a stop and initially thought I had driven over a loose plate. Fingers crossed what you found is what is happening to me. Thanks again!
Were you able to get this problem diagnosed/fixed? I’m having this same problem with no luck of replicating it with a Honda tech.
Sponsored

Deleted member 32279

I thought the same thing. But just yesterday, I was about to back out of my garage, and I heard it distinctly as soon as I put the car in reverse. No brakes. Just a slow release of the clutch while backing out. There was no mistake. A buzzing and clanking metallic sound. I really think it could be those three pipes rattling when cold.
I just heard the same today when I was backing up.

Tmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext; 2019 civic type r
Country flag
As OP mentioned, I noticed that plastic piece under the hood was a bit loose so I folded over some electrical tape and stuffed it in between the plastic piece and the hood. The rattling noise is fixed for me.

whitleystriber

First Name
Whitley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi first post. Reporting in as well. I am experiencing this on a 2021 with 500 miles. Happens when I press in the clutch and mainly around 3000 rpm. When I accelerate it goes away. I am babying the clutch and have never even came near redline or grinded gears. Made sure to be careful going into 2nd as well.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a similar noise at around 3000RPM also at any speed under 100kph. only happens when I let of the accelerator...it almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing.......

Twills97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have a similar noise at around 3000RPM also at any speed under 100kph. only happens when I let of the accelerator...it almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing.......
Yes, this is a great example of the kind of sound that I hear, at around 3k, always when letting go of throttle to change gears. Always when letting go of throttle to coast. Sound is less noticeable as I go up in gears, never hear in neutral coasting, only have 750ish miles, 2021 CTR

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
No doubt there are numerous legitimate issue that people have, and I hope they get sorted out. That being said, this is at its base an economy car, albeit one that has traveled to the sacred mountain and come back transformed into something more. It is going to be noisy. Compared to my last two cars, both German (a Golf R and an Audi S5) this thing is a rolling orchestra of sounds (not to mention things like panel fitment, which while quite good on the Honda is nowhere near thee laser precision of my former rides).

tl;dr, it's a Civic. That makes figuring out what sounds are due to problems that need to be fixed, and what sounds are due to this starting life as a relatively inexpensive, relatively light econobox.

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic 2.0L Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm having no luck on here. By any chance, did the noise sound like this? It's this weird faint rattle I hear when the car reaches certain RPMS on acceleration. I have zero idea what it could be and have been to the dealership three separate times. I just bought the car 5 months ago, so I am at a total loss here.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My rattle has been present since day one (after break-in) and around 3500 and above it's a high pitched rattle/whine that increases with RPMs (not the turbo - lol). I've read here before that it's the metal clutch line vibrating inside its compression fitting collar where it's mounted to the Brake/Clutch reservoir. Rumor has it that just bending the line a certain way for a little bit of tension will remove the noise.
But, as was recently said here, it's a Honda Econobox that will never die so I'm not too excited about it. Wife (once she got over here acceleration panic) was surprised at how loud it was and that I wasn't freaking out about it.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
My rattle has been present since day one (after break-in) and around 3500 and above it's a high pitched rattle/whine that increases with RPMs (not the turbo - lol). I've read here before that it's the metal clutch line vibrating inside its compression fitting collar where it's mounted to the Brake/Clutch reservoir. Rumor has it that just bending the line a certain way for a little bit of tension will remove the noise.
But, as was recently said here, it's a Honda Econobox that will never die so I'm not too excited about it. Wife (once she got over here acceleration panic) was surprised at how loud it was and that I wasn't freaking out about it.
This is exactly what I'm having. Swore it was a rock stuck in the brake shield or caliper again but found nothing after taking all 4 wheels off to inspect. It's a high pitch whine that goes away as soon as I get on the accelerator. The most obvious is when I rev it out and suddenly lift off.

Kind of annoying and might have them check it out eventually......but its a Civic, didn't really expect refinement. Just wish it was more of a metallic sound and less of a irritating higher pitch. Luckily my exhaust helps drone alot of it out when letting off, even with the windows open.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm having no luck on here. By any chance, did the noise sound like this? It's this weird faint rattle I hear when the car reaches certain RPMS on acceleration. I have zero idea what it could be and have been to the dealership three separate times. I just bought the car 5 months ago, so I am at a total loss here.
Um, this sounds like the car always sounds. I honestly don't hear anything different.

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Um, this sounds like the car always sounds. I honestly don't hear anything different.
Sorry, here is a better video. You can hear it better with headphones on. BUT, it's this slight metallic rattle sound that occurs only when the engine reaches a certain RPM. It sounds less loud in videos for some reason, but it's definitely there. I thought it might be a heat shield related issue, or possible splash shield for the engine? However, that looks like it's on properly.

Listen around 16 seconds on...

You can hear it at 11 seconds and 17&18 seconds.

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry, here is a better video. You can hear it better with headphones on. BUT, it's this slight metallic rattle sound that occurs only when the engine reaches a certain RPM. It sounds less loud in videos for some reason, but it's definitely there. I thought it might be a heat shield related issue, or possible splash shield for the engine? However, that looks like it's on properly.

Listen around 16 seconds on...

You can hear it at 11 seconds and 17&18 seconds.
It's honestly so strange. I know the engine itself is just naturally loud, and I can deal with that. But the rattle that occurs on acceleration is driving me insane. No engine lights, no codes, etc. I am convinced it might not be engine related, but rather maybe a piece of a heat shield is rattling at a certain frequency. What annoys me most is the service manager said he could hear it, but did not know how to fix it. I know noises are hard to diagnose, but this is truly driving me up a wall. lol

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's honestly so strange. I know the engine itself is just naturally loud, and I can deal with that. But the rattle that occurs on acceleration is driving me insane. No engine lights, no codes, etc. I am convinced it might not be engine related, but rather maybe a piece of a heat shield is rattling at a certain frequency. What annoys me most is the service manager said he could hear it, but did not know how to fix it. I know noises are hard to diagnose, but this is truly driving me up a wall. lol
To be clear, I'm not denying it's there, just saying I can't hear it on that video. My ears are shot though ;).

EDIT: Ok, listened to the new vid. Yeah, I can barely hear it. Definitely is something there.

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be clear, I'm not denying it's there, just saying I can't hear it on that video. My ears are shot though ;).

EDIT: Ok, listened to the new vid. Yeah, I can barely hear it. Definitely is something there.
No worries!! It's easier to hear if you are actually in the car... LOL. I think I found what it was though. The stupid heat shield (??) that runs along the center of the car is bent. I think with wind and engine vibrations, that is what is causing the noise.

I love the car so far, but this sound has been driving me up a wall. Coming from Nissan, this is minor I guess. Everybody told me to go Honda, so I'm hoping this is the extent of the issues I'm going to encounter.
Sponsored