Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix!

FK877

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2017
Country flag
Hi Type R friends,

Like many of you I too had a sound in my engine bay that was unique and giving me concern that I had a fault somewhere in my car. To be specific, my car would give off a metallic/metal on metal sound at 3000rpm throughout all gears and louder when off the throttle around this rev range. This may not be your fix but it may help some of you that are experiencing the problem I had.

Symptoms:
-Noise only occurs when coasting in cruise control at the 3,000 rpm range (this may differ for you)
-Goes away when pressing the accelerator
-Goes away when you press the clutch in

I logged this with Honda and asked them to inspect on my next visit in. Sure enough the technicians were not able to replicate the fault but they were able to fix another fault with a rattling sound that came from this part by using double sided tape and re-mounting it.

1. There was this plastic bracket under the bonnet that was very loose and rattling at a touch. See pics below. They double taped this and now its firm. (Check yours!)
Honda Civic 10th gen Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix! 20180628_001800

I requested that the head tech go for a drive and he heard it loud and clear. The technician simply said that there were too many potential factors and that it would take some time for the(months and even years) to ascertain what the problem could be. So I’ve lived with this since day 1 and 12,000kms/7,500 miles later.

Last night I decided to have another look under my hood and try to work out what the sound could be. I read all these threads and confirmed with Honda when I had it in that it wasn’t due to:
  • Break in noise checked – all ok
  • Transmission/Gearbox checked – all ok
  • Brakes checked – all ok
  • Dashcam checked – all ok
  • Wastegate lever checked – all ok (this is loose when the engine is off but tightens when on)
I lifted the bonnet hood prop and then looked in the engine bay and could not find any rattles/lose parts. Upon placing the hood prop back I noticed it was touching metal on metal to the pipe in the below picture (not sure what the exactly name of this piping is or what it's for but I'm assuming air con. If someone could reply I will update here). I applied a little force to lower this pipe as it had some play and viola, it was no longer touching. As you can see in the picture the wear on the pipe where the contact was being made in the pic below.

The bonnet hood prop touching this pipe was causing vibration sounds at certain rpm’s on and off the throttle throughout all the gears. I guess the reason why weren’t able to hear a rattle every time the hood was opened was because this hood prop was in use. I felt like I won lotto after finding this as this has now sorted out my sound rattling issue.

I hope this helps some of you out there!

Honda Civic 10th gen Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix! 20180627_214511
Honda Civic 10th gen Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix! 20180627_214405

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
I'm glad you got your issue fixed.

In my case noise was coming from inside of the wastegate actuator and you can only confirm that when the car is ran on a rack.... annoying as hell.

OP
OP
FK877

FK877

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2017
Country flag
I hope you sort that wastegate actuator out. Other internal sounds are now more prominent. It never ends.

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Hi Type R friends,

Like many of you I too had a sound in my engine bay that was unique and giving me concern that I had a fault somewhere in my car. To be specific, my car would give off a metallic/metal on metal sound at 3000rpm throughout all gears and louder when off the throttle around this rev range. This may not be your fix but it may help some of you that are experiencing the problem I had.

Symptoms:
-Noise only occurs when coasting in cruise control at the 3,000 rpm range (this may differ for you)

I logged this with Honda and asked them to inspect on my next visit in. Sure enough the technicians were not able to replicate the fault but they were able to fix another fault with a rattling sound that came from this part by using double sided tape and re-mounting it.

1. There was this plastic bracket under the bonnet that was very loose and rattling at a touch. See pics below. They double taped this and now its firm. (Check yours!)
20180628_001800.jpg

I requested that the head tech go for a drive and he heard it loud and clear. The technician simply said that there were too many potential factors and that it would take some time for the(months and even years) to ascertain what the problem could be. So I’ve lived with this since day 1 and 12,000kms/7,500 miles later.

Last night I decided to have another look under my hood and try to work out what the sound could be. I read all these threads and confirmed with Honda when I had it in that it wasn’t due to:
  • Wastegate lever checked – all ok (this is loose when the engine is off but tightens when on)
I lifted the bonnet hood prop and then looked in the engine bay and could not find any rattles/lose parts. Upon placing the hood prop back I noticed it was touching metal on metal to the pipe in the below picture (not sure what the exactly name of this piping is or what it's for but I'm assuming air con. If someone could reply I will update here). I applied a little force to lower this pipe as it had some play and viola, it was no longer touching. As you can see in the picture the wear on the pipe where the contact was being made in the pic below.

The bonnet hood prop touching this pipe was causing vibration sounds at certain rpm’s on and off the throttle throughout all the gears. I guess the reason why weren’t able to hear a rattle every time the hood was opened was because this hood prop was in use. I felt like I won lotto after finding this as this has now sorted out my sound rattling issue.

20180627_214511.jpg
20180627_214405.jpg
Thanks so much for this really helpful write up. I just stared hearing what sounds like the same noise (a metallic rattle). I first heard it when coming to a stop and initially thought I had driven over a loose plate. Fingers crossed what you found is what is happening to me. Thanks again!

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Type R friends,

Symptoms:

20180628_001800.jpg

20180627_214511.jpg
20180627_214405.jpg

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Type R friends,

Hello and thank you for being so helpful to all of you fellow CTR owners. Yes, I finally got my 2019 black D CTR (D for Demonic--see pic haha).

I have noticed a metallic sound only when the engine is cold, and I am coasting, braking or downshifting third to second, or slowing to a stop to go second to first. This is different from the ever-present brake squeak that I hear all the time during gentle/normal driving in city traffic.

It's a CLANGING, not a squeaking. Sounds like something you would hear in a garage or when loose lead pipes clang against each other during transport: somewhat sonorous and church bell-like. I don't hear it after the car has warmed up.

I will add the following: I only have 440 miles on the car and have been babying it since it's not broken in. I have been very careful with accelerating and braking. Although I will say, I have already scraped the right front wheel against a curb yesterday. (Can someone please teach me NOT to do that?!)

I might try and record the sound, but it's short-lived. It seems to emanate from underneath the car. I am not as technically savvy as many on this forum, but that's where it seems to originate.

Any insight is very much welcomed.

Symptoms:

20180628_001800.jpg

20180627_214511.jpg
20180627_214405.jpg

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Third time lucky ?? and you will actually type something :doh:

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
The sound you are hearing while coasting comes from your wastegate and Honda is refusing to do anything about it....

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
He did write something but within the quotes.
My mistake .... the Quotes were so big I did not study them in detail.

Yes, sometimes it is better to respond to numerous thing, in a quote, as they appear, rather than at the end

No biggie in my opinion. :)
No Biggie indeed -

However, ot can be a lot clearer if one uses the /QUOTE and QUOTE tags[/QUOTE]

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I was just wondering about this sound yesterday. I only have about 600 miles on my car, and due to the cold weather, I hadn't had an opportunity to drive with the windows down until yesterday. When I did, I immediately noticed a quiet metal on metal sound at around 3K RPM that was only present when I lifted off the throttle. It also seems to go away after driving for around 20-30 minutes.

I was wondering if this noise was related to my brakes, since I also have a quiet, dull metallic scraping sound when moving off from a roll in 2nd at very low speed (I figured that maybe they were related). It looks like the 3K RPM sound is a common issue related to the waste gate though. Can anyone confirm that this waste gate issue isn't causing any damage?

KhashTR19

Manual Mania
First Name
Khashayar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the same thing. But just yesterday, I was about to back out of my garage, and I heard it distinctly as soon as I put the car in reverse. No brakes. Just a slow release of the clutch while backing out. There was no mistake. A buzzing and clanking metallic sound. I really think it could be those three pipes rattling when cold.

typeRtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought a 2019 CTR last week and am noticing this sound as well
Sponsored