How safe is the Boomba Racing blow off valve?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
This is the one I'm talking about: http://www.boombaracing.com/2017-honda-civic-si-blow-off-valve/

I watched a few videos and it sounds really good and is pretty easy to install however in one of these videos (this one in particular: ) almost all the comments are about how having a blow off valve will trip something up and cause the fuel to run too rich.

What are the drawbacks of the fuel running rich/are there any other things to watch out for if you have or want to buy this blow off valve kit?

Thank you guys in advance for the help.

EDIT: I just read the reviews of the BOV above (directly on their website) and the reviews sound super shady. Like perfect punctuation and naming the product as Boomba Racing BOV directly by name they sound so scripted. One literally says something like "don't listen to negative comments about this BOV making your car run rich" etc. I'm gonna stay away from this, thanks guys for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Don't put a BOV on the car man. It's just a bad idea with MAF tuned cars.
Alright I wasn't really planning to but was curious as to what all the YouTube comments were talking about. Thanks man. Also, what are MAF tuned cars?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Alright I wasn't really planning to but was curious as to what all the YouTube comments were talking about. Thanks man. Also, what are MAF tuned cars?
MAF tuning means you use the MAF (mass air flow) sensor to measure how much air is going into the motor, and then an appropriate amount of fuel is injected. The MAF sensor is located near the intake. Once the air passes the MAF sensor, the motor thinks it's in the engine. If you vent some of that air to atmosphere via the BOV, you end up running rich because there's not enough air to burn the amount of fuel injected.

Contrast to MAP (manifold absolute pressure) tuning, where the MAP sensor is located in the intake manifold. Fuel injected depends on the air pressure within the manifold, but here you can use a BOV as the entire system is connected. Blowing off air won't result in a rich condition because the lost air can be accounted for based on the change in pressure, whereas the MAF sensor wouldn't know that air was lost.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Boomba racing also makes a BPV (by pass valve) - I am very curious as to why that did not take any steam and sell either? The suggestion has always been that the plastic stock piece leaks boost and a metal BPV is a better choice since it is more efficient. Either the Boomba marketing dept is weak or the stock plastic piece is good. Which is it?

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
MAF tuning means you use the MAF (mass air flow) sensor to measure how much air is going into the motor, and then an appropriate amount of fuel is injected. The MAF sensor is located near the intake. Once the air passes the MAF sensor, the motor thinks it's in the engine. If you vent some of that air to atmosphere via the BOV, you end up running rich because there's not enough air to burn the amount of fuel injected.

Contrast to MAP (manifold absolute pressure) tuning, where the MAP sensor is located in the intake manifold. Fuel injected depends on the air pressure within the manifold, but here you can use a BOV as the entire system is connected. Blowing off air won't result in a rich condition because the lost air can be accounted for based on the change in pressure, whereas the MAF sensor wouldn't know that air was lost.
Wow thanks for the super detailed reply that all makes sense now you explained it perfectly haha. So based on what I just read would the MAF sensor be able to be corrected for the amount of air being blown off by the BOV if it was consistent every time?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow thanks for the super detailed reply that all makes sense now you explained it perfectly haha. So based on what I just read would the MAF sensor be able to be corrected for the amount of air being blown off by the BOV if it was consistent every time?
No

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Boomba racing also makes a BPV (by pass valve) - I am very curious as to why that did not take any steam and sell either? The suggestion has always been that the plastic stock piece leaks boost and a metal BPV is a better choice since it is more efficient. Either the Boomba marketing dept is weak or the stock plastic piece is good. Which is it?
The stock bpv is good. Look for Derek's post about not using an aftermarket bpv. I hit 25psi every time i drive. 20k+ miles of that, no leaks or malfunctions

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thank you, do you know why that is by any chance? Just curious
The air is measured after the blow off valve in a MAP configuration, so it can measure correctly if the air is blown off before it gets to the sensor.

In a MAF configuration like our cars have, the air is measured before the blow off valve. All the air was already measured and is expected to enter the engine so when it is vented to atmosphere the calculations are suddenly wrong. This is why BPV (Bypass Valves) are safe and used, because they do not vent the air that the computer believes is entering the engine but instead allow it to to circulate and enter the engine slower than it would have (i.e. you released the throttle, the air will still enter the engine but slower since you let off the gas)

jayee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Sold), 2020 BMW M2C
Country flag
OP, I'm assuming you want a BOV for the sound. If that's the case getting a good intake will serve that purpose AND be functional.

Vent to Atmosphere (VTA) Blow Off Valves (BOV) are not meant for cars with Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensors. we use recirculating BOVs.

This is how a PRL Cobra cold air intake sounds:

Don't mind the crappy angle or the sound peaking from the exhaust :oops: you can hear the intake at :11 and :25

Last edited:

Craigman45

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
This is the one I'm talking about: http://www.boombaracing.com/2017-honda-civic-si-blow-off-valve/

I watched a few videos and it sounds really good and is pretty easy to install however in one of these videos (this one in particular: ) almost all the comments are about how having a blow off valve will trip something up and cause the fuel to run too rich.

What are the drawbacks of the fuel running rich/are there any other things to watch out for if you have or want to buy this blow off valve kit?

Thank you guys in advance for the help.

EDIT: I just read the reviews of the BOV above (directly on their website) and the reviews sound super shady. Like perfect punctuation and naming the product as Boomba Racing BOV directly by name they sound so scripted. One literally says something like "don't listen to negative comments about this BOV making your car run rich" etc. I'm gonna stay away from this, thanks guys for the help.
just so you all know ...Ive been running the boomba bov for over a year now and havent had any problems with the car or the gas mileage. about 16000 miles. I think our cars ecu may be smarter than we think. your off the gas when the valve releases so your not getting that much extra gas injected.Im no expert but until I have a problem im enjoying the whoosh sound...