Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Well here we are little 2 years in and still modding and enjoying the R, My R just had its two year anniversary june 19th, and she is still going strong. Yes I have decided she is a she and will explain little bit on down. But first MODS!!!! or more accurately stickers and a delete. LOL. First that damn rear windshield wiper. Other then the wing it is my single most hated part on the car. Yes yes i am not a fan of the wing :( but that rear wiper is the most useless waste. Its about a useless as nipples on a man. So as the red queen would say...
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? download

So first I need a plug and let's face it i'm cheep and a die hard do it yourselfer. I know I can do this with parts from lowes and save 30 bucks and not have to wait. Yup yup check parts from lowes will work. I painted and clear coated the big bolt after getting them with paint I had. Total spent 4.65 cents woot!!! the two black washers are rubber washers. and the big metal washer is for even pressure on the back of my home made plug.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_165141

OK parts ready, time to take the back of this thing apart.. man Im afraid to do this looks hard. But no I watched a video and honestly the whole back end had it apart and wiper motor out in like seriously 10 mins. Here is the video I followed if anyone's interested. It is for the standard hatch but same instructions on the R. Just stop watching once he gets to the spoiler removal part? the first part explains the wiper and interior removal.

It honestly was super easy, a 10mm socket and a pry tool for the handles and that was it. everything else popped off and on.

Here are some pics of my experience.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_164930

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_164928

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_164925

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_164935

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_165111

It really is super easy to take the hatch apart to get to anything in it.
Now for the plug. before paint.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_142317

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_142325

And painted and installed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_165950

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_170054

Is it as pretty as the 30 dollar plus aluminum billet plug that is really just 2 o rings and a screw.. nope. but is anyone gonna be looking at the plug? ah nope. LOL so does just fine. So as you can see from the pictures I simply found a large head flat bolt (painted and cleared it) and two rubber washers a wing nut a metal flat washer and a lock washer. works just fine and didn't have to wait on shipping and saved 25 bucks.

Then just popped it all back together. and enjoyed my 1/2 HP weight savings. I mean you could really feel it...not.
But that was not all I did, you may have seen in another post the what did you do to your type R today I also wrapped my tail lights. And I love it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190712_130713(0)

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190712_130818

But at the time I did not do the bar that connects the lights. the black spoiler piece, and it didn't look right so I had that done now as well. It ties it in nicely. Especially now that the wipers gone. And it now somehow makes the civic emblem look nicer. We know how much people have it out for that civic emblem :)
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_172812

But this too is not the end. There is the matter of the cars gender and naming. I personally feel in today's gender neutral world of political correctness that assuming the gender of ones car is a bit sexist. Bwahahahahaha.... Na my friends keep hounding me to name it. They say you have to name your car. I'M like ok so if I'm gonna do this I have to do it right my car needs a back story a real sense of personality and interest.

So what do some people do to remember an event or to commemorate a experience that could apply to a car. I figure a tattoo. Something people would recognize, a symbol, even if cliche but tied into the car and myself.
So I chose this.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190801_180020

I know I know but here me out .

So here is the story, My R is a Kiaju named Lilith. In japaneses lore a Kiaju is a "monster" or "strange beast" both terms complementary to The R since well it is a strange beast and with my mods a monster :) SHHH it is I dont care what you say. Not to mention her (the R) pedigree is japanese as well. She gains her namesake Lilith from the many incarnations of her throughout religious texts. In bible she was cast from the same clay as adam which contrasts to the creation of Eve (from the rib). So even though my R Lilith is one among many she is the first of her kind (type R here in the united states) Just like lilith was first of her kind. Lilith is often envisioned as a dangerous demon of the night, who is sexually wanton, and who steals babies in the darkness. Much like the R's sexyness and the way it steals the innocences of the drivers of Mustangs and Camaros as it thrashes them much like a beast. As for the "tattoo" I am seriously addicted to energy drinks :) and it signifies the monster within the R tying us together.

Well so there we have it, named my car. Yeah I am so full of crap but it is fun so...

But as much as I love the R I still betrayed her trust. I cheated a little and looked at other girls.
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190728_202130

Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190727_125922

SHHHH dont tell cause Lilith is a vengeful one. But even though My modding on the R is at an end (for now) I have a problem I cant stop. So I modded a burn barrel, yup a burn barrel. I wanted to go for a wild west locomotive steam boiler look. what ya think?
Honda Civic 10th gen Episode 9: Another day in the life of an R owner. The final mods? 20190729_133946

Not bad.

Well that is all for now. lets see what tomorrow brings. Get out, drive, enjoy your car.

Last edited:

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
In think that burn barrel is much better than an srt- yuck!

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
after deleting the rear wiper, can you actually use the wires and control for something else, like a led some sort? So you can turn it on and blink it using the rear wiper controller?

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I've seen in an article the R being called a "Mini Kaiju" :D so fitting.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
after deleting the rear wiper, can you actually use the wires and control for something else, like a led some sort? So you can turn it on and blink it using the rear wiper controller?
Not sure. There is a open connector so i guess it could be if you know about wiring .

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great write-up. Easy to follow at the right price. Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait for episode 10.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was the Supra listed at MSRP?
5k over. But was only one of 2 yellow in SC. If I didnt think the supra was over priced at msrp I might have gotten it. Its a 44k car tops.

Last edited: