CTR's on the Trailers!

OP
OP
the1dynasty

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A dealer near me got a few new vehicles delivered yesterday evening. One of them was a gray Civic Sport. It had cohesive wrap covering the entire hood, roof, and parts of the fenders and doors. There were also foam pads glued to the doors and bumpers. There was also a white Accord whose rear was obviously facing forward on the transport truck - the trunk and rear bumper were 100% covered in a thick layer of smooshed, dried bugs.

The transporters often deliver new vehicles after-hours and on weekends. I've seen several vehicles arrive with damage. Not long ago, there was a V6 Accord that had its entire left muffler ripped off when it caught a high spot while being backed off the transport truck. It got a new bumper and muffler and was put on the lot and sold - the buyer will probably never have a clue.
Yeah dealers can fix up to a certain amount of damage without reporting it to the customer... Usually it's minor things like dings and scratches that get touched up... I've never seen a bumper and muffler ripped off lol
Sponsored

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I really appreciate that, this whole experience has been so damn ambiguous, but I must say...I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve...waiting for Santa!
Ciaran
There's been a lot of information void for lack of a better term in this process, but it will be a very sweet day when they actually arrive!

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
UK dealers still don't have any detailed info such as prices as far as I know, but Honda did put in place an official "pre-order" system which is what generated that confirmation PDF (I got mine back in mid-April). I also saw the memo that Honda UK sent to the dealers, which said there would be two levels of trim, standard and GT (no info on what the spec of each would be but probably similar to previous CTRs here) and it listed the available colours so you could choose one (I went for Polished Metal, which I'm pretty happy with after seeing some of them in the photos on the trailers!). The dealer had access to the Honda UK web site to put the pre-order on and I watched while they did that and saw the on-screen confirmation, which was followed later by the PDF via email.

Also, my dealer will *not* be adding a markup - I don't know whether they're actually allowed by Honda to do that here, but the figures being quoted in the US for markups are astonishing! Also under our laws it's illegal to not return a deposit in full if you cancel, unless the dealer can prove that you cancelling has caused them financial loss - if that law applied there it would be pretty hard to imagine a dealer claiming that they'd been stuck with a CTR that you cancelled and they made a loss because they couldn't sell it to anyone else!
Thank you very much for the information. Very interesting that Honda UK appears to have a much more civilized ordering system and organized reveal of options/colours, etc. Honda US could certainly take some notes here...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
This is a good point. Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me I'd have the car flown here via military air carrier, in a massive box with nothing but silk pillows and blankets. But in the grand scheme of vehicles being shipped our mid $30k isn't special enough to warrant a full wrap and extra protection when being shipped.

No vehicles that start costing over $100-200k I can understand.
Yep the S-class and E-class MB's on the same boat had barely more than the Civics (based on pics I've seen of the Civics). I watched them unload about 100 Mercedes.

Actually, my dealer told me that when my CTR comes:1. it will be in a special covered trailer. And 2: no one will be allowed to test drive it. But...then again... he is a sales man and I am a woman...I don't put much faith in his words
Ciaran
I suppose it's possible! That would be pretty awesome if it came in a special trailer. It wouldn't totally surprise me if some places got this and others didn't.
I don't doubt that nobody will be allowed to drive it. Buyers like us want 3 miles or less on the odometer.

Wow...I feel like an ass. I told someone today that they were going to be finished here in the US... damn... now I totally look blonde.
For a while, that rumor was circulating the internet being that the engines were built in Ohio. There are still people here in the US (dealers) misquoting where the car is assembled and sold.

Yeah dealers can fix up to a certain amount of damage without reporting it to the customer... Usually it's minor things like dings and scratches that get touched up... I've never seen a bumper and muffler ripped off lol
My friend Mike, last name unknown, bought a yellow S2000. Went to watch them back it off the trailer. Promptly dropped it off the trailer tweaking the bumper up and mis-aligning the whole front end pretty much. He wanted to back out of the deal but ultimately decided to stick with it.

OP
OP
the1dynasty

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend Mike, last name unknown, bought a yellow S2000. Went to watch them back it off the trailer. Promptly dropped it off the trailer tweaking the bumper up and mis-aligning the whole front end pretty much. He wanted to back out of the deal but ultimately decided to stick with it.
wow... I wouldn't accept that at all... even if I had to wait...

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think there is 1044 USA Honda dealers as of 2014 and total of only 3000 Type R to be sold in 2017. So it depends on when the 2018s hit the market.

So is the general consensus that these cars are gonna be hard to obtain?

Last edited:

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
So is the general consensus that these cars are gonna be hard to obtain?
Initially yes. We have no official information from Honda stating how many more they will produce after this year is over. Not to be confused with model year. I think total amount of type r's for this year (both 2017's and 2018's) is looking to be about 3,000. We don't know for certain about 2018.

I'd imagine just about all 3,000 are already accounted for at this point.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Hi Sean, yes I will post any updates that I get. The dealer has promised me that as soon as they have any more info they will pass it on, and they've been good so far. Obviously at some stage the car will have to go officially on sale and I'll need to convert the pre-order into an actual order, but I'm hoping I won't end up sliding down the waiting list somehow at that point! That shouldn't happen judging from what Honda have said, but after the fiasco with the Focus RS I'm bound to be a bit skeptical!

Pete - Dealer is requesting another £2k on my deposit. Is this consistent with what you are seeing?
Cheers
Sponsored