CivicX in Autocross

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
For anyone interested, I've found a YouTube video of someone taking their 2016 EX-T for an autocross. Doesn't seem to be pulling as hard as I thought it might, unless he wasn't going full throttle, but he seemed to have a good run overall. (He put music on, can't really hear any actual sound)

Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If he's on those stock Firestones he sure as hell ain't going full throttle...nice vid tho!

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smooth looking run. Wish there was some graphics to show his run time, rpms and grip. Also wonder if this was a sedan or coupe? Also think this would be a perfect time to keep the CVT in low gear. Good footage though.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Hey this is me!
This is the sedan EX-T. I kept it in low the whole time and it felt fairly responsive for what I was doing. I put the music in he background because the wind noise was horrible and with the intake and exhaust both being stock you couldn't hear anything car wise. With traction control off the car didn't seem to spin too much straight line. Tho there was a fair amount of traction lost in the turns if you really pushed the FT140s. The Firestones are very sensitive to pressure. I had a couple runs where I slid around quite a bit more than this run, but therefore my times were slower. This was a NASA sanctioned event and the civic falls into the TTE class. I plan on putting different tires, springs and intake/exhaust by the end of the year. Tires first obviously. Then springs. But it was very evidient while dirving the car that the chassis was great, but the tires were the limiting factor for sure. But the car was very balanced overall it seemed.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey this is me!
This is the sedan EX-T. I kept it in low the whole time and it felt fairly responsive for what I was doing. I put the music in he background because the wind noise was horrible and with the intake and exhaust both being stock you couldn't hear anything car wise. With traction control off the car didn't seem to spin too much straight line. Tho there was a fair amount of traction lost in the turns if you really pushed the FT140s. The Firestones are very sensitive to pressure. I had a couple runs where I slid around quite a bit more than this run, but therefore my times were slower. This was a NASA sanctioned event and the civic falls into the TTE class. I plan on putting different tires, springs and intake/exhaust by the end of the year. Tires first obviously. Then springs. But it was very evidient while dirving the car that the chassis was great, but the tires were the limiting factor for sure. But the car was very balanced overall it seemed.
Hi Jay, what sort of times were you running? How did you rank with the other cars in your class? Thanks for posting on here and providing insight on the video.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First run of the day was a 67. Fastest of my runs was a 60.3. Tried some different lines the last couple runs and forgot to check tires pressure and the car started to push bad.
This was my first ever autoX event with this car so I was trying some different things to see how the car would react. There was 11 cars in my class and I ended up 7th. I feel driver error could be at fault here. Fastest times in my class below.

1. Miata 54.508
2. BMW 328is 54.764
3. Miata 55.729
4. Mustang 57.296
5. TSX 57.542
6. MX6 LS 57.829
7. Civic 60.303
8. 325is 60.392
9. 240sx 60.882
10. Miata 62.807
11. 240z 63.400

Like I said, I was new to the car and new to autox all together. But it was fun.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First run of the day was a 67. Fastest of my runs was a 60.3. Tried some different lines the last couple runs and forgot to check tires pressure and the car started to push bad.
This was my first ever autoX event with this car so I was trying some different things to see how the car would react. There was 11 cars in my class and I ended up 7th. I feel driver error could be at fault here. Fastest times in my class below.

1. Miata 54.508
2. BMW 328is 54.764
3. Miata 55.729
4. Mustang 57.296
5. TSX 57.542
6. MX6 LS 57.829
7. Civic 60.303
8. 325is 60.392
9. 240sx 60.882
10. Miata 62.807
11. 240z 63.400

Like I said, I was new to the car and new to autox all together. But it was fun.
No surprised to see a Miata at the top. I'm somewhat surprised a TSX up there but gives me hope that the Civic with better tires and suspension could probably make those kind of numbers, too. Not bad for a FWD, CVT sedan. :) What is sort of surprising is the 240s being down the pack but I'm guessing that may be likely to driver skill rather than the capability of the car. Thanks again. Please post some more vids if you take your Civic out again on a course.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When it comes to autoX tires are everything. The veterans that I've talked to said that a good set of tires can save 5 seconds off your run. I also had the highest treadwear rating(hardest) tires in my class. Considering it was my first ever autocross event, I was happy with my result. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that I used to race karts for a while, and we ran on a fairly tight course. But tires are coming soon. I have a sponsorship deals other eibach so I get the springs for 130$ when they finally come out with them. From there I will throw on intake and exhaust and see if it helps my engine response. I will keep everyone updated on when I go to my next event.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I even photoshopped a picture to see how it would look lowered. lol
Honda Civic 10th gen CivicX in Autocross CivicCleanLowered

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When it comes to autoX tires are everything. The veterans that I've talked to said that a good set of tires can save 5 seconds off your run. I also had the highest treadwear rating(hardest) tires in my class. Considering it was my first ever autocross event, I was happy with my result. I think the only thing that saved me was the fact that I used to race karts for a while, and we ran on a fairly tight course. But tires are coming soon. I have a sponsorship deals other eibach so I get the springs for 130$ when they finally come out with them. From there I will throw on intake and exhaust and see if it helps my engine response. I will keep everyone updated on when I go to my next event.
That's awesome man. I'm sure driving karts gave you some help out there on the track. You took the lines fairly well.

So I only have little knowledge of auto-crossing but when you add all the modifications like suspension and I/E parts does that move you up in class other than stock?

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well with NASA sanctioning there isn't stock classes or anything like that. Every car is judged from factory specs based on power to weight and a few ther factors. From the factory specs they place the car in a class. The civic falls into the E class with 7 points added. Every modification adds a certain amount of points depending on what you do, once you get to 20 points you get jumped up to the next class. Once you get to 40 points you get jumped up two classes.

OP
OP
BigBang09

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
Awesome stuff! Welcome, Jay. :)

Relatively new to autox myself, only started with my FA1 about a year ago. I've heard much of the same advice, especially regarding tires. Leaving the FA1 stock though, just working on improving lines and overall driving skill for now -- if I do decide to trade-up though, tires would be first for sure! Had a feeling that might be limiting factor based on the car mag reviews.

Don't have a GoPro or anything similar myself, but will certainly share if vids ever come along!

Well with NASA sanctioning there isn't stock classes or anything like that. Every car is judged from factory specs based on power to weight and a few ther factors. From the factory specs they place the car in a class. The civic falls into the E class with 7 points added. Every modification adds a certain amount of points depending on what you do, once you get to 20 points you get jumped up to the next class. Once you get to 40 points you get jumped up two classes.
Reminds me of the class system Forza uses; sounds more in-depth than SCCA's.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a lot more in depth. I have the whole 65 page rulebook stating different classes and how modifications affect the car. I just felt that I hit a plateau extremely quick with the civic due to the tires. the chassis itself seemed super controllable and balanced, but the tires just had nothing to offer. I a interested to see what the car does with better tires.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm back! And with new footage of the civic in autocross. The first video is a side view and then the second video was my fastest lap from the top view. Car still pushes at times.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm back! And with new footage of the civic in autocross. The first video is a side view and then the second video was my fastest lap from the top view. Car still pushes at times.

Thanks for posting. Still stock suspension and tires, right? How did you rank this time?
Sponsored