Lisa@Borla

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Lisa, thanks for the feedback. After I was linked to Borla’s YT channel I realized that your official videos are considerably better. If you’re truly seeking criticism then I’ll start by saying that I think the deeper tone that it provides is decent, but I didn’t notice anything that set it apart from the stock exhaust other than perhaps volume, but again that could have been the audio quality. As others mentioned, the tips do not look great. 2.75-3” seems to be the ideal diameter so far with clean tips. Lastly, my opinion, for the pennies it’s worth, I think the three tips should be flush or the outer two should stick out a hair farther than the center.

Also, when you do an official video can you record interior or at least comment on any drone?

Thanks for taking a look at our YouTube channel and for the in depth feedback! I will definitely share what you've said with our R&D team and provide information on this forum throughout our development process.

So far our testing shows that the 2.75" diameter performs better than 3", but I'll get you more info on this as our testing continues.

I'll see if I can get a close up photo of the tips to post here so you can see them better... That way you can let us know what it is you do and don't like specifically.

Yes, we will for sure have some sort of comment in our video addressing drone and I'll let our video team know that you want to see/hear interior footage/sounds. It's very important to us to make systems that do not drone.
Sponsored

Adaman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #4373, 2007 Honda Civic Si Tubro (Sold)
Country flag
I think the demographic of folks that purchased a Type R will also be re-tuning their cars. 2.75" might perform better now as a simple bolt on, but a 3" exhaust will give a bigger runway for tuners.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I think the demographic of folks that purchased a Type R will also be re-tuning their cars. 2.75" might perform better now as a simple bolt on, but a 3" exhaust will give a bigger runway for tuners.
There are also a large percentage of owners who have bought this car as a daily driver and wouldn't buy this exhaust system if it had drone at speed or was too loud. Then you have to tune to make sure you are running safely. Most Type R's will probably end up in California, and you know what that means. It's really lose lose for Borla to make a 3". But it would be great if they offered both options.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are also a large percentage of owners who have bought this car as a daily driver and wouldn't buy this exhaust system if it had drone at speed or was too loud. Then you have to tune to make sure you are running safely. Most Type R's will probably end up in California, and you know what that means. It's really lose lose for Borla to make a 3". But it would be great if they offered both options.
Am daily driver.

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most Type-R's will end up in California? that statement makes no sense, lol, and how would that be a lose lose for Borla? Also the exhaust is just that, on the exhaust side, it frees up restriction of air exiting the engine, it doesnt change air or fuel entering it and will not cause a safety issue requiring a tune.

OP
OP
c0sm0s

c0sm0s

the m0derater
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Honda Civic Type R #4026
Country flag
Think info will be pretty sparse until after SEMA but I got a look at it a few days ago and I think everything is coming together nicely with the tips and bracket.

I should have everything in my position around 11/10...

OP
OP
c0sm0s

c0sm0s

the m0derater
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Honda Civic Type R #4026
Country flag
Now that you can see pictures of the tip designs at SEMA (some below) I can share this old development video of the tips (at the bottom).
This was before the switch to the black finlets between the carbon fiber tip covers and the tips themself so these are still stainless steel (or whatever they used, I didn't ask).

Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 22853464_10211822313326842_5170535246191700561_n
Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 22815601_10211822313606849_3320535157395023158_n
Honda Civic 10th gen Borla Exhaust for Civic Type R 22852250_10211822314086861_725900178393945405_n

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Looks hideous imo...

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
A big NO from me...

JLOracing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Time Attack, 2007 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda Fit Sport Time Attack, 2009 Honda fit Sport World Challenge TCB, 2012 Honda Fit Sport daily, 1996 Honda Civic Coupe endurance road race, 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback rallycross, 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe project track car
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
in the video it is hard to tell for sure but it looks like the center tip is not functional......

Ian@Borla

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borla
Country flag
in the video it is hard to tell for sure but it looks like the center tip is not functional......
Hi! What you saw in the video was a prototype. That was just a mock up to see how the tips would look. The center tip is functional!

Last edited:

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
With all due respect that looks awful. Not sure why you guys' are going with a cheap look? Tips make the car look cheap. Plain and simple.

My take on the type r is the car is already bold, strong, over-the-top, and boy racerish... So you guys need to be making something that above anything functions and sounds great all without adding more extreme designs to the car. Just make a simple 3 piece tip setup or a symmetrically sound 1 piece!

Lisa@Borla

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
With all due respect that looks awful. Not sure why you guys' are going with a cheap look? Tips make the car look cheap. Plain and simple.

My take on the type r is the car is already bold, strong, over-the-top, and boy racerish... So you guys need to be making something that above anything functions and sounds great all without adding more extreme designs to the car. Just make a simple 3 piece tip setup or a symmetrically sound 1 piece!
Thanks for the feedback! We know that everyone's style is different so we are actually going to offer 3 different tip options for the Civic Type R:
  • Carbon Fiber (shown on this forum)
  • Polished
  • Black
Sponsored