First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust (FK8)

So the Borla ATAK exhaust for the FK8 isn't entirely the newest exhaust on the block, but I did want to write up my thoughts on it in general. The Borla ATAK exhaust system currently is available in 3 exhaust tip configurations:
  • Polished Stainless Steel: $1200-1500
  • Black Ceramic (Matte): $1300-1700
  • Carbon Fiber: $1500-2000
As a point of reference, my black ceramic finished exhaust system cost me 1350 from RCA Garage.

Design

The overall design of the exhaust system is a 3 tip outlet to match a style similar to the stock FK8 setup with the exceptions being that each exhaust tip is the same size and the center exhaust sticking out slightly more than the two that flank it. The polished stainless steel and black ceramic (matte) finishes has more of a standard double-barrel tip while the carbon fiber tip has a unique look of having one pipe inside of the other. They're all striking designs and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Honda Civic 10th gen Some Thoughts on the Borla FK8 Exhaust DSC08989

If you peak just underneath the rear diffuser of the FK8, you'll see the words "Borla ATAK" cut into a piece of metal in which the hangers attach to. Multiple circles are punched around this sheet which can make your trypophobia go on high alert if you're that type of person.

Honda Civic 10th gen Some Thoughts on the Borla FK8 Exhaust DSC08991

The center exhaust tip is clamped on which allows you to adjust the sound of the exhaust to your liking using one (or none) of the included silencer plates which restrict the opening of a center resonator. The original design of the exhaust is to have none of these plates installed as the center exhaust will become a PITA to install perfectly centered if one of these plates are installed (the clamp will also require much more effort to install as well).

Honda Civic 10th gen Some Thoughts on the Borla FK8 Exhaust Borla_Silencer_Fitment

Sound

My FK8 Type R is still running a stock downpipe currently, so take these subjective sound impressions with that in mind. Also keep in mind that the exhaust is only 2 days old at this point and probably nowhere near broken in. As stated at the end of the design section, the Borla exhaust system has 3 sounds that it can have based on the use (or lack thereof) of silencer plates which can be installed to control the resonator. They are ATAK, S-Type, and Touring.

The ATAK exhaust note has a bit of a distinctive whine to it while having an overall aggressive tone that kind of sounds like it's gurgling which is absolutely mad. It's loud, it's in your face, it lives up the the ATAK name. It also drones quite a bit while cruising. I'd consider the amount of drone to be moderate. It's tolerable, but I wouldn't want to deal with it personally. For a weekend car it might be doable, might (IMO).

If you put in the partially blocking plate you get what Borla calls the S-Type sound. It's a slightly toned down version of the ATAK exhaust note, but not as in your face. A good aggressive, yet sporty sound to it. It still has that faint whine to it but the main tones of the exhaust system shine through a little better. When you're on the gas it sounds great, when you're off of it... It'll drone, still. I'd consider this level of drone low, it's something that I'd say is tolerable for an everyday drive and perfect for a weekend car. It's a little annoying, but not overbearing.

The last silencer completely blocks the center exhaust pipe and gives you the tamest sound that Borla offers for the FK8. Overall it sounds like the stock exhaust except a little louder, more refined, complex, and toned to become it's own distinct thing. This particular setup drones no more than the stock exhaust does. If the stock FK8 sounded like this from the factory, it would be great.

Performance Gains?

I know I mentioned with the PRL intercooler I felt that the car didn't really have its sense of urgency or kick anymore which resulted in it creating very smooth power delivery, though did feel faster and more powerful.

With the exhaust, I feel a little more responsiveness and kick again in the lower-to-mid RPM ranges which is very welcome. It feels a like there is a little more power down low which is definitely a nice thing to have for daily driving. The exhaust is still brand new and I really haven't had it long to really test it out though, so take these impressions with a grain of salt.

Note that I'm not tuned, a tune would probably help both of these mods out power-wise.

Final Thoughts

I have to say I am happy with the exhaust, what it offers, and the price I got it for (none of the FK8 exhaust systems are really cheap to begin with). My ideal exhaust sound would basically be like the S-Type while on the throttle and the Touring while cruising. I feel like the only way for that to exist would be to have a pressure-based active resonator (maybe similar to Boost Logic's setup?). I do wish the silencer plates were a little less finicky to install. But otherwise, I'm very happy with the tone and sound that Borla gives and definitely would recommend it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Some Thoughts on the Borla FK8 Exhaust DSC08990

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I noticed a similar mid range bump when I did my exhaust. That Borla is badass.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Awesome review... I was going between this and 27won... I'm working on my lost exhaust package issue now... And if a refund is granted in my favor I could see myself pulling the plug on this one

Thanks for the video... Helped me alot
I'm glad the video was helpful. I had one particular person on FB tell me videos are useless (unless they are drive bys or something along those lines) :dunno: Granted no video really does any exhaust justice. Either way, you can't go wrong going either direction, the 27Won sounds absolutely stellar (from what I've seen in videos) when paired with a DP.

I noticed a similar mid range bump when I did my exhaust. That Borla is badass.
Yeah, I've noticed a few people talking about that. But you never know until you try for sure (I had completely opposite impressions from most when I got my intercooler).

Last edited:

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
Borla was the first exhaust I liked for the fk8 and honestly still my favorite looking exhaust. The carbon tips look awesome.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Looks great sounds great :) Thanks for vid!

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Looks good, but also 10 lbs. heavier than stock.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good write-up! I like the tone! S-type mode does sound like the right balance.

Any particular reason for going with this vs something like AWE or 27won? Is it the adjustability? How much work is it to switch between modes? I am assuming there isn't a Remus like remote-control valve here?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Good write-up! I like the tone? S-type mode does sound like the right balance.

Any particular reason for going with this vs something like AWE or 27won? Is it the adjustability? How much work is it to switch between modes? I am assuming there isn't a Remus like remote-control valve here?
It's a SS plate that sandwiches between the center exhaust outlet and the center exhaust tip. You could in theory change it out in like 15-30 minutes (the plate is tricky to sandwich in, no plate takes like 10 minutes to do). If you have two people, then it's even faster. That's probably my biggest complaint about the plate system... That and my plate won't come off anymore easily.

So, there are 2 plates that block out the center exhaust exit either partially or fully. No blocking = ATAK, partial blocking = S-Type, full blocking = Touring. No active valves available here; if you're looking for that, then definitely get something true active. I personally was looking for something louder than stock but with minimal drone. Touring does that for me, S-Type's drone is tolerable, but annoying.

As for why get something like this over AWE or 27Won... It depends on taste. With 3 different sounds, I felt like it was more likely I'd like one of these three over the one sound the AWE and 27Won give. The AWE is known to be a bit louder as well, though based on descriptions I'd imagine it being similar to the S-Type or ATAK. I was able to get this for really cheap through RCA Garage (1200 for SS tips, 1300 for black, and 1500 for CF). Though pricing does vary from dealer to dealer.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
It does sound and look nice. I followed a guy down a hiway who had the Borla(don't know how he had it set-up) and it sounded sweet from a following car.

Thanks for posting vids and review.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
As for why get something like this over AWE or 27Won... It depends on taste. With 3 different sounds, I felt like it was more likely I'd like one of these three over the one sound the AWE and 27Won give. The AWE is known to be a bit louder as well, though based on descriptions I'd imagine it being similar to the S-Type or ATAK. I was able to get this for really cheap through RCA Garage (1200 for SS tips, 1300 for black, and 1500 for CF). Though pricing does vary from dealer to dealer.
Just checked RCA garage. There prices are definitely lower than MSRP, but it looks like you got a great deal!

Btw, correct me if I am wrong, this system doesn't include a front-pipe, right? Does Borla advertise any power gains at all? I couldn't find anything on their website. Not that I am expecting a huge gain from an exhaust. Just curious.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Just checked RCA garage. There prices are definitely lower than MSRP, but it looks like you got a great deal!

Btw, correct me if I am wrong, this system doesn't include a front-pipe, right? Does Borla advertise any power gains at all? I couldn't find anything on their website. Not that I am expecting a huge gain from an exhaust. Just curious.
I don’t remember if it had a FP, I actually had them install it too (it was like 109 bucks). As for power gains, not much. Borla claimed 7 peak HP and upwards of 10 in the midrange (with or without covering the center exhaust tip). The exhaust kind of offset the slight lag I felt when I put on an intercooler.
Sponsored