Yet Another Brakes for racing question....

MichelleK

First Name
Michelle (she)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi,

So I had a track day this week where I repeatedly got my 2018 Type R to 120mph (201 kmh actually and the first time I ever got to go that fast!), and the stock rotors with Akebono pads. I did fairly well for the 60 percent of the day, and the braking was very very good. However, by the end I had written off the rears and the front just stopped gripping strongly. Fortunately I had replaced all the brake fluid with RBF660 so the pedal was rock solid.

I was wondering what other people are using for demanding that level of performance from their car?

My local performance shop sold me stock rear rotors so that if I trash them again they're cheap to replace and a set of MX72Plus pads.

For the front they sold me Project Mu 999 pads for the track and I ordered EBC NDX Blues for daily driving.

Any thoughts on whether upgrading the front brake rotors for this sort of environment is necessary? I have more track days coming up shortly and I am reviewing everything now that I have. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I've run mx72+ in front and rear along with girodisc at all 4 corners with fresh endless rf650 for the couple track days I've been to and had zero fade issues with this setup. I run the same rotors and mx72 street pads with the rf650 for normal street driving. I also have stainless lines at the calipers so I'm sure that's helping a bit.

OP
OP
MichelleK

MichelleK

First Name
Michelle (she)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The perf shop said I can run the 999s in the summer OFF the track, but I'm a bit skeptical. I looked at operating temperatures and they're from 200-800 degrees, vs most pads that start at 0. They are track pads.

If I'm going to run the 999s on the street I have a feeling I would be stomping on the brake pedal alot. Thanks for the notes on the rotors. I've looked at them or Paragon for the front...

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
Yeah I'd imagine the mu pads would need some serious warm up before they get real grabby. Not to mention they are probably pretty fucking loud when cold.

cfl001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just want to make sure you're pushing/holding the vsa for 10 seconds. Otherwise, the stability control will intervene and apply a lot of rear braking. I run hawk hps 5.0 rear pads. I run the paragon front rotors. For front pads, I'd try out the paragon/winmax p3 or r5's.

OP
OP
MichelleK

MichelleK

First Name
Michelle (she)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll definitely do that in a few weeks when I go back. I was wondering about those EBC Bluestuff NDX pads for the track and there are such conflicting reviews - there is no middle ground. GTR drivers seem to think they are dangerous while other people seem to love them...I decided to cancel the NDX order and ordered the RP-X fronts.
Sponsored

Last edited: