Wireless Charging

Paul H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring and 2015 Sonata GL
Country flag
Sorry not really technically inclined - can you charge any phone on the wireless pad in our Touring ??
Thanks for your help - Cheers p
Sponsored

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
No. It requires a phone that supports Qi inductive charging (aka wireless charging).... or a Qi wireless charging case for your specific phone if your phone doesn't support it directly.

Here is an example of such a case for the iPhone 6.
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/17/aircharge-case-iphone6/

Last edited:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently I have an iPhone 4S. The 2016 Civic Apple Car Play supports the iPhone 5 and higher so I'm out of luck. I've held off getting the 6S in the hope the upcoming 7 will have wireless charging as one of its upgrades. Be sure to read the wireless charging warnings on page 53 of your manual.

Last edited:

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I looked at the price of the charging pad. I think I'd rather plug the phone in or try and use Samsungs wireless charging pad instead of paying over $500 for honda's lol

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't think Apple will have wireless charging anytime soon. They would have to move back to a plastic backing in their flagship model, I don't think they'll do that.

crea78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
A glass back will work as well with wireless charging, which Apple might do if they want to incorporate this technology.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
With wireless charging are you still able to use carplay or android auto or do you have to plug them in still.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With wireless charging are you still able to use carplay or android auto or do you have to plug them in still.
It is my understanding that the current implementation of Carplay/Android Auto both require a cable to the Civic even though both technologies are designed to also work wirelessly.

civicguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic LX, 16 Civic Touring
It is my understanding that the current implementation of Carplay/Android Auto both require a cable to the Civic even though both technologies are designed to also work wirelessly.
This is slightly incorrect.
Point A) Android Auto and Apple Carplay both CURRENTLY require a usb cable connection in order to operate. This is not UNIQUE to the Civic. VW and GM, along with a few other manufacturers, have implemented this technology and it is designed thus far to work via a physical cable connection. However, Google announced plans to make Android Auto wireless with a new update. Since this technology is based primarily off your phone's architecture, updates such as wireless connected use would be compatible with your Android Auto equipped car as your phone does the majority of the software work and your head unit acts not exactly but more so as a mirroring device. Not exactly though.

Point B) Wireless charging will not affect the use of Android Auto or Apple Carplay. You will have to still plug your phone in to use these interfaces even if charging wirelessly.

Point C) Phones such as the Samsung galaxy s7 and s7 edge that feature full metal and glass build designs have already implemented wireless charging. In fact, they did this LAST year. Thus, it would be more than possible for Apple to do so. Will they. Maybe so maybe not. The average individual that purchases an iPhone over an Android device does so for the simplicity of the interface. They typically do not get especially hyped by technology they may not consistently used on a daily basis. Apply knows they can build you the same phone, sharpen the display a tad bit, add a better camera, and change the way the OS operates slightly and their consumers will abandon their fully functional device to buy the next Apple product.

Last edited:

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is slightly incorrect.
Point A) Android Auto and Apple Carplay both CURRENTLY require a usb cable connection in order to operate. This is not UNIQUE to the Civic. VW and GM, along with a few other manufacturers, have implemented this technology and it is designed thus far to work via a physical cable connection. However, Google announced plans to make Android Auto wireless with a new update. Since this technology is based primarily off your phone's architecture, updates such as wireless connected use would be compatible with your Android Auto equipped car as your phone does the majority of the software work and your head unit acts not exactly but more so as a mirroring device. Not exactly though.

Point B) Wireless charging will not affect the use of Android Auto or Apple Carplay. You will have to still plug your phone in to use these interfaces even if charging wirelessly.

Point C) Phones such as the Samsung galaxy s7 and s7 edge that feature full metal and glass build designs have already implemented wireless charging. In fact, they did this LAST year. Thus, it would be more than possible for Apple to do so. Will they. Maybe so maybe not. The average individual that purchases an iPhone over an Android device does so for the simplicity of the interface. They typically do not get especially hyped by technology they may not consistently used on a daily basis. Apply knows they can build you the same phone, sharpen the display a tad bit, add a better camera, and change the way the OS operates slightly and their consumers will abandon their fully functional device to buy the next Apple product.

My post was not intimating that it was a Honda specific situation and the post was 5 months ago. Things have changed in that time period. 5 months ago at that time both technologies required a cable connection - It is my understanding that both Apple and Google has stated the wireless support is on the way. I believe VW wanted to demo wireless Carplay at the Detroit Autoshow in January but Apple would not allow them to do so. It is also unclear if wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto will trickle down to our existing 2016 cars or simply be supported in a future model year. Although Apple and Google say it is possible, Honda may need to support it on the Bluetooth / Infotainment Unit side as well and Honda has shown little willingness to slipstream new features into existing models.

Heck I'd just like the existing feature set to work as intended.

civicguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic LX, 16 Civic Touring
My post was not intimating that it was a Honda specific situation and the post was 5 months ago. Things have changed in that time period. 5 months ago at that time both technologies required a cable connection - It is my understanding that both Apple and Google has stated the wireless support is on the way. I believe VW wanted to demo wireless Carplay at the Detroit Autoshow in January but Apple would not allow them to do so. It is also unclear if wireless Apple Carplay / Android Auto will trickle down to our existing 2016 cars or simply be supported in a future model year. Although Apple and Google say it is possible, Honda may need to support it on the Bluetooth / Infotainment Unit side as well and Honda has shown little willingness to slipstream new features into existing models.

Heck I'd just like the existing feature set to work as intended.
I definitely agree with that. I was just trying to show the situation thus far. I know Android Auto is as well bringing the interface to the phone so you wouldn't even need a supported head unit. Honda does generally try to remain in the pack on updated technology though, especially if it relates to safety. Both Carplay and Android Auto market that they are "safer" to traditional head unit OS. Perhaps this could be incentive for Honda to perform any of any updates to their headings to maintain prime function of these applications.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Not worth it..for that price...:bs:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'