Winter Tire sizes 225/40/18 vs OE 235/40/18

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Guys the stock size tires are 235/40/18 on the Hatch Sport (and Si for that matter)... The prices on these for winter tires is pretty steep....

BUT if you go to a 225/40/18 the winter tires are a lot cheaper. Is anyone running this size? Does it throw anything off? I can't see it being an issue I would just like to hear from others who might be running this slightly smaller size.

Thanks
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
There should not be any issue to run 225-40-18. The only minor issue is the speedometer reading; the difference would be -1.2%.

How about 215-45-18? The delta in speedometer would be only +0.8%. Since it is a thinner tire, it will perform better in winter.

I myself am planning to go from 235-40-18 to 215-50-17.

OP
OP
CIVICSPORT

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
No I want to run the factory 18's in the winter, sell the all season tires, and then buy aftermarket rims and tires in the spring for my spring/summer/fall look.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
No I want to run the factory 18's in the winter, sell the all season tires, and then buy aftermarket rims and tires in the spring for my spring/summer/fall look.
I'd seriously consider sticking with the 235/40 size, then.

Winter roads are rougher on wheels (especially because of iced-over packed snow), and although it's common to go narrower for winter to punch through snow & slush, stretching a tire to fit on a wide rim would probably leave the rim itself less protected.

I suppose the stock 8" rims will be within the spec'd width range of 225-width tires (and maybe 215s), but I still wouldn't be confident in them.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going narrower is better in the winter.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
This is why I am getting 17x7 winter wheels.

With previous car, I used the OE wheels for winter and upsize 1 inch for summer with new alloys. Since the SI comes with 18 inch which IMO, are big for this small car, I have to go the other way.

Since I plan to keep the car for a few years, I am getting Enkei 17-inch alloys.

Last edited:

macrossranma

First Name
macross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI
Country flag
I went with 225 40 18 on stock si rim for winter and getting summer rims and tires in spring. Happy so far on winter's. Mpg is better as well

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I went with 225 40 18 on stock si rim for winter and getting summer rims and tires in spring. Happy so far on winter's. Mpg is better as well
What winter tires did you get? I am deciding between Blizzak WS80 and Michelin X-Ice 3.

Not sure where you are in Canada. Any snow yet? How does your SI drive in snow?

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Smaller diameter is cheaper and lighter. You lose a little firmness in the sidewall but gain a softer ride.

I'd drop to at least a 17" just for pothole protection. I think with the brake disc diameter, 16" is possible. I have 17" on the Touring sedan and would get 16" black steel wheels and not bother with covers. Just wear the winter wheels with pride.... pride that your smart enough to use a winters set.

Narrower is better in snow. Much better is rain. Maybe a very slight loss or a wash in dry. You get more "bite" in most conditions. Plus it's easier to follow tracks generally.

But best of all narrower and smaller diameter are cheaper. Sometimes a LOT cheaper.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I checked the prices in Canada. I checked with the dealership, steel rim costs $90 CAN each and the hub caps are $100 per set. Enkei Alloy is $230CAN. So, total cost will be $460 vs $920, exactly double. I plan to keep the car for a few years so the extra cost will be well worth the money.

To the OP, I think the recommendation here is the get the narrower tires. Cheaper and more importantly, better winter drivability.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Smaller diameter is cheaper and lighter. You lose a little firmness in the sidewall but gain a softer ride.

I'd drop to at least a 17" just for pothole protection. I think with the brake disc diameter, 16" is possible. I have 17" on the Touring sedan and would get 16" black steel wheels and not bother with covers. Just wear the winter wheels with pride.... pride that your smart enough to use a winters set.
Tire Rack lists a decent selection of 15" wheels that'll fit. Some other forum members say 15s are a tight fit, but they work.

There's a greater selection of 16" wheels and 16" tires that'll work well with our cars (apart from the Si and Type-R), but 15s are still an option.

And about this:

But best of all narrower and smaller diameter are cheaper. Sometimes a LOT cheaper.
Oh, definitely. I finally looked up 18" winter tires — specifically the 235/40-18 size — and doggone, they're twice the price of 15". Depending on the setup, you can pay the same amount of money for a whole new set of 15" or 16" wheels and tires, or just a set of 18" tires and no wheels.

For the OP's purpose -- keeping the OEM rims for winter use (basically as beaters) and new aftermarket rims for summer/etc, yeah, either 225/ or 235/ will work. If having nicer summer rims is the goal, that's one way to do it, otherwise he'd have to store three sets of wheels (OEM, 15" winters, and 18"+ summers).

BUT, there's also the option of selling the OEM Sport rims, which can mostly fund a set of 15" or 16" winter wheels-and-tires.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Something like 29 lbs. Pretty heavy, but should be sturdy, too.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Something like 29 lbs. Pretty heavy, but should be sturdy, too.
Is 29 LB heavy? I checked Enkei EKM3 wheels, they are 24.9 LB in the same size (18x8).

Does unsprung weight of 4 LB in each corner make a difference?

How heavy is a 18x8 steel rims?
Sponsored

Last edited: