When will I need a smog for a 2017 model year in CA?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq
Since they changed it to 8 years and mine is 2017 does that mean In 5 years I will or it starts when you register it in your ownership?
It’s in the wording my guy..

“if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered.”

so the vehicle has to be less than 4 model years old upon registering the vehicle in your name (which your car is obviously), and because it is you can pay a smog abatement fee for the first 8 years from when you registered the vehicle in your name

OP
OP

Brvndxn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

“if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered.”

so the vehicle has to be less than 4 model years old upon registering the vehicle in your name (which your car is obviously), and because it is you can pay a smog abatement fee for the first 8 years from when you registered the vehicle in your name
Thanks my guy

OP
OP

Brvndxn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

But since I got this car used and was registered to someone else how does that work because it doesn’t say anything about if it’s in your name then it’s 8 years

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
But since I got this car used and was registered to someone else how does that work because it doesn’t say anything about if it’s in your name then it’s 8 years
As long as it’s under 4 model years when you bought and registered in your name (used or new) then it seems like you’ll get 8 years from when you registered it. That’s what I get from the wording
Sponsored