Wheels

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
What's everyones plans for their rims? Do you like them stock, hate them? Will you buy a new pair? I'm planning on powder coating them gloss black, really dislike the bright silver, anyone with pc experience able to chime in if this would work?
Sponsored

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
What's everyones plans for their rims? Do you like them stock, hate them? Will you buy a new pair? I'm planning on powder coating them gloss black, really dislike the bright silver, anyone with pc experience able to chime in if this would work?
Any competent PC shop can make them whatever color you want. Basically they will blast them to remove the factory clear/paint and then PC in the color of your choice.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm considering PCing the OEM wheels gloss black as well - if I can get over "destroying" them (I'm generally NOT a fan of modifications of any type). A local PC shop quoted $200 to remove the factory finish by bead blasting then powder coating any color of my choice (which would be gloss black). The powder will be cured in an industrial oven sold by the company I work for. :cool: I've seen their work and it's top-notch.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know (hopefully know, not guess :)) if switching to lighter wheels (dropping 8-10 lbs per wheel) would negatively affect the fancy Si's dampers or other suspension parts in the long run? My "fear" is that since it was designed with those specific wheels in mind (and HFP ones aren't lighter), such substantially-lighter wheels might be too much punishment for the suspension and start breaking/wearing it out sooner than with the stock wheels...

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lighter wheels just reduce unsprung weight, shouldnt have any effect on the suspension what so ever.
Lighter wheels will reduce rotating mass, which will definitely affect performance. Most notably will be braking.

The only situation I can think of where lighter wheels would be a bad thing would be hitting a big pot hole.

drakenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Matrix XRS
It's worth noting that that a Hatchback sport owner has already weighed his OEM 18x8 wheels which came to about 28lbs for the rim alone. I suspect that the Si wheels will be nearly the same in weight given the it's size and OEM's preference towards cost and durability.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/factory-wheel-size-offset-and-weights.1636/page-5

28lbs per wheel is quite a lot for a compact car. It will be fairly easy shed a lot of weight through changing the wheels alone. That's a lot of unsprung weight there..

About the only drawback for lightweight wheels would be the possibility of reduced durability, high cost, and maybe perhaps easier to spin the drive wheels(Tires are more important for this) though it largely depends on what you buy. I personally never had an issue with light wheels, but I never cheaped out or went off roading, curb-hopping, etc.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Lighter wheels just reduce unsprung weight, shouldnt have any effect on the suspension what so ever.
Thanks.
(I really don't know anything in-depth on this subject matter, but) it seems like common sense that a heavier wheel would bounce a bit less in response to an uneven surface (i.e. any regular road) due to greater inertia, so the suspension would have to endure less stress, no? That effect would be seen clearer if the weight difference was much more substantial, -- e.g. a wheel weighing 100 lbs would probably bounce a hell of a lot less than a wheel weighting 1 lbs. In reality, the difference between 29 and 20 lbs per wheel is probably so microscopic (as far as the effect on suspension is concerned) that it's likely irrelevant/"negligibly low", but I just wanted to make sure that was indeed the case.
(or maybe I'm missing something obvious, as usual :))

drawback for lightweight wheels would be the possibility of reduced durability
I think maybe that's what I'm talking about... Do you mean durability of suspension (parts) or something else?

OP
OP

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
Thanks guys I think PCing will be the way to go instead of paying 1500+ CAD for decent rims + install. If anyone knows a good place in Toronto Canada feel free to PM me.

CivicSi84

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chrysler 200
Country flag
Does anyone know (hopefully know, not guess :)) if switching to lighter wheels (dropping 8-10 lbs per wheel) would negatively affect the fancy Si's dampers or other suspension parts in the long run? My "fear" is that since it was designed with those specific wheels in mind (and HFP ones aren't lighter), such substantially-lighter wheels might be too much punishment for the suspension and start breaking/wearing it out sooner than with the stock wheels...
Lighter wheels just reduce unsprung weight, shouldnt have any effect on the suspension what so ever. You should pi
Thanks.
(I really don't know anything in-depth on this subject matter, but) it seems like common sense that a heavier wheel would bounce a bit less in response to an uneven surface (i.e. any regular road) due to greater inertia, so the suspension would have to endure less stress, no? That effect would be seen clearer if the weight difference was much more substantial, -- e.g. a wheel weighing 100 lbs would probably bounce a hell of a lot less than a wheel weighting 1 lbs. In reality, the difference between 29 and 20 lbs per wheel is probably so microscopic (as far as the effect on suspension is concerned) that it's likely irrelevant/"negligibly low", but I just wanted to make sure that was indeed the case.
(or maybe I'm missing something obvious, as usual :))

I think maybe that's what I'm talking about... Do you mean durability of suspension (parts) or something else?
Pretty sure he is referring to the ability of the actual wheel to hold up to things like pothole strikes.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got about 14 months with my eBay wheels. I paid $440 shipped for these and I just put the factory tires on them. They are Effect brand and I have zero complaints about them. The ones I have are about 8lbs lighter than my EX-T oems. I did a fair amount of searching for "cheap wheel horror stories" and couldn't find anything bad about these. They even seem pretty popular with Miata guys for track racing.

Incoming flame war about cheap wheels, but my experience has been great.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wheels 17991438_10154706791697983_6329485722622628459_o

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I've got about 14 months with my eBay wheels. I paid $440 shipped for these and I just put the factory tires on them. They are Effect brand and I have zero complaints about them. The ones I have are about 8lbs lighter than my EX-T oems. I did a fair amount of searching for "cheap wheel horror stories" and couldn't find anything bad about these. They even seem pretty popular with Miata guys for track racing.

Incoming flame war about cheap wheels, but my experience has been great.
17991438_10154706791697983_6329485722622628459_o.jpg
Those look great, as does your car, I think I'd want them about 1in bigger though.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Just as important as handling and durability, I'd also be concerned with safety.

Several years ago, Gary Flint, a Chief Engineer at Honda and Large Project Leader for the first-generation Ridgeline had this to say regarding wheels and tires during an interview with the Ridgeline Owner's Club. For those who don't know Gary, he's extremely knowledgeable and has a long engineering background with both Honda and General Motors. He became well-respected for his work on the Ridgeline. His vast knowledge and experience makes Rob Keough, Honda's Product Planner who has delivered keynotes for the Si and Type R, look like a rookie car salesman.

"ROC: How integrated are the stock wheels into the design/suspension?

Gary Flint: All vehicles are engineered and validated with a specific wheel size, off-set and DLR (dynamic loaded radius). Changing any of these parameters can affect wheel bearing life, brake life/performance, roll-over stability, crash performance, and speedometer calibration (which is regulated even for a consumer due the inaccuracy in the odometer reading). The Ridgeline tire provides the best overall performance, handling, snow/ice performance, off-road performance, rolling resistance, and load rating. The owner’s manual verbiage is very strong on this subject with good reason."

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...20448-aftermarket-wheels-procede-caution.html

As an engineer, but not one in a discipline specific to automotive safety, I'd prefer to retain the use of wheels that originally came on the vehicle or are available as an accessory item for that particular vehicle. Not that aftermarket wheels can't perform the same or better for specific functions, but it's virtually impossible to validate given the almost infinite number of possible vehicle/wheel combinations.

M1K3_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civicc Si; 2016 Harley Davidson 48
Country flag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You might look into Plastidip. You should be able to spray it right over top of the factory finish and if it get looking bad, or you decide you don't like it, you can peel it back off without hurting the OEM finish.

Just a thought.
Sponsored