MiladyMalady

First Name
Hazy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So this is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. Not because I dislike my beautiful clean and sleek black pearl paint, in fact I adore it. However I need some variety and I'd like for my Vader to be dressed up in a sharp metallic red for awhile. I plan on doing this by the end of the year however I wanted to ask a few questions first and was hoping the people in this forum could lend some advice. I have a few reservations about doing it.

#1 Do wraps damage paint? One of the many reasons I want to do this is to protect my paint job underneath. I've only had him for a year and he already has some unfortunate scratches.

#2 How long will a good wrap from a reputable wrap shop last?

#3 What is a fair price range for this? I've been told anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 and I definitely want a wrap of good quality.

I can't think of anymore questions at the moment. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
A wrap is not a paint protection film. I can't really answer your questions. If you want a wrap, go for it! But paint protection isn't a real reason for one.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I'd say if surface is prepped well and you garage kept the car, it shouldn't have crazy consequences at the end. My comment is not out of personal experience though. I wanted to do my roof soon, including the vortex/fins area. Quality of vinyl is a concern, but I'm more concerned about the shop not cutting corners (no pun intended) and cutting too deep.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
A wrap is not a paint protection film. I can't really answer your questions. If you want a wrap, go for it! But paint protection isn't a real reason for one.
How is it not? Many exotic car owners are wrapping their cars to do just that, protect the original paint. It would protect it from uv, salt, small scratches, dirty rain etc. It peels off easily with little heat. If I had a Ctr I would definitely consider it.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
How is it not? Many exotic car owners are wrapping their cars to do just that, protect the original paint. It would protect it from uv, salt, small scratches, dirty rain etc. It peels off easily with little heat. If I had a Ctr I would definitely consider it.
All I'm saying is paint protection is not a reason for a wrap. If you're going for high quality paint protection, you get PPF. A wrap might provide minimal protection, but that is not its purpose.

BustAXX

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r fk8
Country flag
]
hello this is the car of a friend made by a company here in Madrid it was completely chromed red vinyl.
Here it is quite expensive how you have been informed about 3000 € or more.
if it's quality vinyl it can last you for years,
retaining its color and brightness the only thing to wash it because you have to buy specific products for vinyl to a greater extent apart from cleaning it protect it.
I have had several cars completely vinyl and I have always been very happy but you have to do a professional because if you do not end up destroying the car.
finally if you get tired some day of the vinyl you give a little heat and you take it off perfectly without leaving any rest in the car.
a greeting.
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Wrap Opinions IMG-20190104-WA0004
Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Wrap Opinions IMG-20190104-WA0009

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Vinyl wrap is just that. A wrap. Yes, it does offer protection, but think of movers using wraps to protect your furniture while moving. It's a 1 time use that (with care) can last longer than expected. I say 1 time use in a sense that a small rock hit, it tares and done with or you have a hole now. Vinyl wrap also fits more in the cosmetic side of things. I'd say 80% cosmetic, 20% protection.

People choose dedicated paint protection wrap nowadays because of the self-healing being the major factor, some with hydrophobic property. It can sustain a little more than a 1-time rock hit because you can use hat and 'heal' it. Most paint protection wraps are clear (or matte), so it's more focused on protection than cosmetic. I'd say 5% cosmetic (if you pick matte), 95% protection.

OP, wrapping a full car is not going to be cheap, regardless the purpose; looks or protection. Doing vinyl wrap for the purpose of changing the overall color, yeah that'll be a ton of expense if want to be done right. I'd say that ballpark you mentioned is about right. Shops have to take parts apart and put them back on if you want the color wrap to look practically like it came out of the factory that way (BTW, you'll always see your original paint when you open your doors. I haven't seen a shop that dedicated to remove the weather seals, etc.) Good luck!

Last edited:

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So this is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. Not because I dislike my beautiful clean and sleek black pearl paint, in fact I adore it. However I need some variety and I'd like for my Vader to be dressed up in a sharp metallic red for awhile. I plan on doing this by the end of the year however I wanted to ask a few questions first and was hoping the people in this forum could lend some advice. I have a few reservations about doing it.

#1 Do wraps damage paint? One of the many reasons I want to do this is to protect my paint job underneath. I've only had him for a year and he already has some unfortunate scratches.

#2 How long will a good wrap from a reputable wrap shop last?

#3 What is a fair price range for this? I've been told anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 and I definitely want a wrap of good quality.

I can't think of anymore questions at the moment. Thanks for the advice!
Seems like people went on a tangent, have no experience in actually having their car wrapped...or way out of the US to give us an idea on your number 3 question.

Hopefully someone sticks to the topic...I'm interested as well.

I had checked google and it seems anywhere from 2500-5k for a good wrap.
A local CTR owner here paid 4500 for his wrap that was a chrome looking dark red, hard to explain. But it looked like a good wrap.

As for how long, it seems 5-7 years is what I'm hearing...but can depend on the climate you subject the car to...so for us normal daily drivers, 3-5 years I hear.

Also, ask about the type of vinyl used. I'm reading that cast is the one you want to use...as it conforms to shapes...where as calendered vinyl is more for flat surfaces. You'll also want to make sure the vinyl is laminated to protect it (except from what I hear matte and carbon fiber finishes don't need it...supposedly).
Sponsored